Thread: Singapore watch
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 09:40 AM
Saratoga

Kranji trackwork -

Monday, 11 May 2015 | From the Singapore Turf Club

SINGAPORE AIRLINES INTERNATIONAL CUP

Cooptado (SG) – Patrick Shaw

Cantered two laps of Track 2 (Polytrack) under jockey Barend Vorster.

“He’s a great pleasure to ride. Horses like this make my job easier,” said jockey Barend Vorster.

“I saw his last race in Dubai (last in Dubai Gold Cup over 3200m). It was too far. He was a colt then, got worked up before the race and was in a lather of sweat.

“His two previous runs were better. He seems to be a horse who can run with the pace and take a sit as well.

“He’s already done some pacework on Thursday and had a very good grass gallop on Saturday over 1200m. He just had an easy canter over two laps today.”

Trainer Patrick Shaw has been keeping an eye on his new Dubai recruit since landing on May 2, straight from Dubai trainer Doug Watson. The South African mentor said he was still trying to learn more about the horse.

“I wanted to see him and that’s why I had him in early. As he has not raced since that Gold Cup run, I wanted to put more speed into him,” said Shaw.

“The two miles were too far for him. The owners wanted to send him here after that race, but he had to be gelded first.

“Doug doesn’t weigh his horses. That’s why I don’t really know if he has put on or lost weight since coming here.

“I wished I knew as that would have told me if I am doing too much or too little. But going with what I see, the weight seems to have levelled out and he looks in good shape.”

Smoking Sun (FRA) – Pascal Bary

Trotted and cantered up and down Track 4 with track rider Patrick Lemagny in the saddle.

“We learn from experience. Last year, he wouldn’t work on the main tracks,” said track rider Patrick Lemagny.

“He’s not going to come out at all on the main tracks this year. He was happy doing his own little thing down those parallel tracks at the back (Track 4).

“He just cantered this morning and looked in impeccable order. I may give him a slight squeeze down the same track either on Thursday or Friday, pretty much like last year.

“Besides he’s already done his main work in Chantilly and just had a run in Hong Kong around three weeks ago (10th in Audemars Piguet Queen Elizabeth II Cup on April 26).

“Not sure what went wrong in Hong Kong. Hopefully, he can put in the same run he put in the SIA Cup last year (second to Dan Excel).”
Meiner Frost (JPN) – Noboru Takagi

Trot and slow canter on turf (Track 1) under track rider cum assistant-trainer Satoshi Munakata.

“He’s had his last strong gallop at Miho before he left Japan and we just want to keep him happy here,” said Noboru Takagi’s assistant-trainer of eight years, Satoshi Munakata.

“It’s his first time travelling and he seems to have taken to it quite well. He did not lose any weight even after it took him 14 hours door-to-door to reach his Singapore stables.

“Yesterday, he had a 1 ½ lap of steady canter and today he just had a trot and some slow canter on the turf track. He was looking around and taking it all in.

“He will probably have a gallop either on Wednesday or Thursday.”

Dan Excel (HK) – John Moore

Warmed up with a hand walk around the sand-ring before going out for one lap of canter on Track 2.

Last year’s SIA Cup winner looked in great shape when he was taken for one lap of canter around Track 2 (Polytrack). His track rider Yeung Kai-tong had him under a good hold throughout as he finished his piece of work without being asked to do too much.

Military Attack (SIA Cup) & Lucky Nine (KrisFlyer) (HK) – Caspar Fownes

Lucky Nine warmed up on Track 4 before heading out to Track 2 for a slow canter, with track rider Danny Suen up while Military Attack was just hand-walked around the sand ring and did not come out on the training tracks.

“We brought Lucky Nine out for a slow canter after his slow walk,” said stable representative Paul.

“He lost about 10 pounds since touching down from Hong Kong on Saturday morning. But his weight has returned to normal now.

“Military Attack was hand-walked for 45mins in the sand-ring before retiring to his stables, as instructed by the boss (trainer Casper Fownes).

“He too has lost some weight. Since Saturday he has been eating well and now his weight has returned to normal.

“The boss will be arriving tomorrow and we will know both their schedules for the next few days.”

Free Port Lux (FRA) – Freddy Head

One lap of trot (1000m) and one lap of canter (1200m) on Track 2 (Polytrack) under track rider Philippe Bruneau.

“For a first time overseas, I would say he has travelled very well. He didn’t lose any weight on the way here, but he is a horse who can be quite nervous,” said track rider Philippe Bruneau.
“He was all switched on when we landed on Saturday night. Once he works, he is okay. He is actually a very nice horse to work with.

“Yesterday (Sunday), we just walked him around his stable. He was still settling in and didn’t need to see the tracks.

“He carries a bit of condition and is a little fresh as you would expect. He ran well at his first-up race (fifth in the Group 2 Prix d’Harcourt on April 6), nothing too taxing and that race has done him the world of good.”

Johnny Guitar, Quechua, Slew Of Lode (SIA Cup) & Magneto (KrisFlyer) (SG) – Patrick Shaw

Patrick Shaw’s SIA Cup trio of Johnny Guitar, Quechua and Slew Of Lode all came out for a two-lap spin on Track 2 (Polytrack) while Magneto with race-rider Nooresh Juglall up came out for a gallop on the turf (Track 1) but going the opposite way, running the last 600m in 34.3secs.

“It was an easy day for the three SIA Cup horses today as they all trialled well on Thursday,” said trainer Patrick Shaw.

“I’m happy with all of them. Quechua trialled really good and galloped well on Saturday. Magneto had his gallop today while the rest will do it tomorrow and that would be it.”

Jockey Nooresh Juglall reported all was sweet with Magneto after his workout on the course proper.

“He galloped over 1000m on the grass the other way. I just clicked him up a little inside the last 600m,” said the Mauritian jockey who is at his first International Singapore meeting.

“I hope he maintains the same condition until raceday. I didn’t ride Slew Of Lode as he pulls like a train and is better handled by his track rider.”

Stepitup (SG) – Laurie Laxon

Cantered on Track 4 with track rider up.

“He did his usual routine before the races. He was the first one out bright and early at 6am and had a quiet canter on Track 4 and that was it,” said assistant-trainer Shane Ellis.

“He will be back on the Polytrack tomorrow and will have a gallop on Wednesday. He’s coming along very well.”

Wild Geese (SG) – Steven Burridge

Cantered one lap over Track 3 (sand track) with track rider up.

“He’s fit as a fiddle. He’s come on well from his last run (fourth in QEII Cup),” said trainer Steven Burridge.

“He just had an easy time on the Hong Kong track (Track 3) this morning and will gallop on the Polytrack either tomorrow or Wednesday. All is going to plan and we’re doing what we can do to bring him to his peak.”

KRISFLYER INTERNATIONAL SPRINT

Aerovelocity (KrisFlyer) – Paul O’Sullivan

Cantered one lap on Track 2 (Polytrack) under track rider Pierre Ng.

“He’s still a little shy on the track,” said track rider Pierre Ng. “The track is similar to Hong Kong’s, so it should not be long before he gets used to it. It’s not as bad as the Japan track.

“His current weight is similar to his Hong Kong weight and I believe he has settled in very well.”

Rich Tapestry (HK) – Michael Chang

Slow canter on Track 2 (Polytrack) with track rider Sit Shun-keung astride.

Hong Kong trainer Michael Chang was the first overseas trainer spotted at trackwork on Monday morning. As Rich Tapestry was put through a slow canter on Polytrack over 1600m, Chang shared his views on the well-travelled gelding.

“He’s a good traveller,” said Chang. “He did not lose any weight on the way here, still at 503kg which is his racing weight.

“He will do a good steady canter over 1600m on both Tuesday and Wednesday before going for a good breeze-up on turf on Thursday.”

Recalling Rich Tapestry’s last-start third in the Group 1 Dubai Golden Shaheen (1200m) on March 28, Chang felt the Holy Roman Emperor seven-year-old could have done better.

“In Dubai, he was a little unlucky. He jumped too quickly and had to run without cover for much of the race,” he said.

“He would have been better off taking a sit and then sprint.”

Hototo (BAH) – Fawzi Nass

Trotted and hacked on Track 6 with track rider Hussain Abdulla in the saddle.

“It’s his first time on the track and he was not used to the lights. We don’t work with the lights on in Dubai,” said assistant-trainer Nicolas Iguacel.

“Today, he just trotted and hacked for a couple of furlongs on the Polytrack down the back. He’s a sprinter, you know, and he was pretty keen.

“He’s done all his work back home – on the sand track at Al Quoz - and did a final gallop on Friday. We’re not going to work him too much here, just keep him happy.

“At his last start in Dubai, he missed the start and the race was over. If he jumps good, he will be in with a chance.

“He’s a horse who goes better when another horse is there to challenge him.”

El Padrino (SG) – Alwin Tan

Light work over 1000m on Polytrack.

“He’s pulled up okay after last Thursday’s trial and is still pretty fresh,” said trainer Alwin Tan.

“He’s lost a bit of weight, which is good. Initially, I planned to run him in two barrier trials, but Oscar (Chavez) told me it was not necessary.

“He will gallop with War Affair on the Polytrack on Wednesday.”

Emperor Max (SG) – Stephen Gray

Two laps of trot in the trotting ring (Track 5).

“He’s come on well. Let’s hope he doesn’t bleed again,” said trainer Stephen Gray in reference to his bleeding attack after his second-last start in November.

“All’s good with him. He will gallop tomorrow.”

Kiwi Karma (SG) – Michael Clements

Slow work on Track 4 with a track rider up.

“She’s not an easy horse to gauge. She doesn’t show much in her trackwork and as you know, there’s not much of her,” said trainer Michael Clements, who only took over Kiwi Karma at the end of last year.

“But on raceday, she turns into a lion. I can tell you she’s eating and drinking well and she’s happy.

“Tomorrow, she’ll work over 400m on the Polytrack, which is her standard gallop before her race.”

Zac Spirit (SG) – Cliff Brown

Trotted and cantered on uphill track.

“He just went up the hill without doing too much today,” said trainer Cliff Brown.

“He’s pulled up well from his last run (second in Lion City Cup). All’s good with him.”