View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly-Sheba View Post
Steve,

You go to all the Derbies, how many horses in the last ten years have looked great training up to the Derby and have won? Pletcher's horses always look good and we all know his Derby record. He looks strong this year but I don't know.
Exactly NONE that looked bad won, I can tell you that. Of course not every horse that has won trained here leading up either.. Funny Cide and Giacomo come immediately to mind. Big Brown didn't do much here except blow out a couple times. I'll Have Another did his work in CA.

Horses that looked exceptional training here and won include Barbaro, Street Sense and Animal Kingdom. Hard Spun and Afleet Alex worked tremendously and ran races that had potential for wins. Many come here as players and have something go wrong, including Sweetnorthernsaint. Pletcher's horses haven't always looked perfect. Bluegrass Cat was a mess leading up through his weekend work and then ran big. The group he has here this year is very sharp with the exception of Charming Kitten.

Only one horse wins. Then there's an exacta horse, a trifecta horse and a superfecta horse. Even a super Hi-5 horse. It's a 20 horse field. You're watching to see who can be pushed out of your consideration as win candidates and who you may want to include in exotics wagers.