View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 01:15 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Porter
Can't figure out why they don't buy Lava Man. My guess is that with all the play money they throw around the real talent concerning this game really isn't there. If you buy "everything" sooner or later you're gonna nail some good ones.
I can give you two reasons that Lava Man is missing as to why they don't buy him---if you get my drift. (i.e. the Bob Barker treatment). If it was solely about buying the talent on the track they've have bought up all sorts of horses they didn't. Notice Lawyer Ron, Afleet Alex, and the like didn't go to the sheikhs. They didn't want to try to stand them. I heard they snubbed Smarty Jones because they figured his sire was good enough for them and they didn't need sonny boy.

They want stallions to stand and broodmares to send to those stallions if possible. They're paying for the stallion in advance of his track performance really and if they make several million surely paying $1.4 mil or $5 mil is chump change. I was trying to think of a prominent gelding they've bought...has there been one? I'm honestly drawing a blank. Not one they've gelded later per se but did they even do that with a horse they'd bought as a colt?

Last edited by Merlinsky : 10-31-2006 at 01:17 AM.