View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 02:35 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Seriously, what areas of the country are crying for tradespeople? Not the largest and fastest growing areas (Arizona, etc.) People there are losing their recently-built houses, not fixing them up. Nobody can afford roofing, etc nowadays.

People can't move away from their homes to find new work, unfortunately, because they can't sell their houses without losing everything. They may want to move, but they are stuck. It's not just because they don't want to move, if they leave they will be living in their cars.
Well, I'm looking in the help wanted section of our local newspaper - there's still a bunch of jobs that aren't burger flipping. There are areas where jobs can be found - and I'm NOT talking about overly constructed areas like Arizona and Las Vegas. There are plenty of people who have their homes paid off or aren't struggling to pay a mortgage but have to do maintenance on their homes in order to keep them livable.

If someone is unemployed, chances are they're going to lose their home anyway. Not saying the whole family pick up roots and leave, but the breadwinner goes where work can be found. It's a hardship, but inertia is comfortable for only a little while.

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton

Last edited by Princess Doreen : 12-31-2010 at 02:57 PM.