View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
They sure have killed horses at a higher rate than most owners. Oh snap!!
Nah, I don't think so...per proportion of how involved they are, they usually do VERY well by the horses they have in looking out for their helath and best interest...Electrocutionist had a heart attack and for anybody who understands horse health knows that it is totally genetic and a defection he was born with...that would have been uncontollable the greatest horseman in the world....Dubai Millanium and Tempera both died from non-racing related stuff....I can't think of any of their horses that have died on the track in recent memory...they do a great job doing whats in the horse's best helath interest these days and I really think that is a primary reason that they are enjoying the high level of success they are now....just my opinion..

A prime example is Discreet Cat.....if MOST American trainers had him (I won't mention names), DC would have been thrust into the Derby...Hell, the Shieks would have probably dne that too a few years ago...But now they are more disciplined because they have learned that if you do right by the horse that things will usually play out the best way for you in the long run....

You cannot acuse them of being bad horsemen...thats for sure...they have not always done the smartest things considering the capital they invest (Coolmore out-managed them for YAESR with less oney invested) but they are getting better and smarter now...

Part of the reason they also didn't have the level of success that other big owners had for a long time was because they didn't cheat....I commend their honesty and it is paying dividends now...