View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 05:52 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
The economy?
Essentially, yes. They have taken a few cost cutting measures the past couple years, this being one of them. They just weren't doing enough business on those 2 days to justify being open. They have this sports bar inside there that used to be open Thur-Sun where you could watch other sports in conjunction with the simulcast feeds, but now the only time they open it up is on Thursday nights when they have poker night (free games). I think they also open it up on triple crown and breeders cup days as well.
The OTB used to be divided into 2 halves, seperated by glass, for smoking and non-smoking. Both sides were always open and were staffed with a couple tellers. This summer, they decided to make the whole building non-smoking. By doing that, it has enabled them to completely shut down one side of the building, except for on Saturdays, so they don't have as many employees to pay. Truth be told, I'm surprised its still open. I have been here 3 years now and in those 3 years, I have maybe met between 5-10 people that actually understand horse racing and know how to read a form. The great majority stand sit there with a pencil and paper just playing numbers.