Thread: Angels
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Saratoga

A shame.

From TT. No author listed.....

Rest in peace, little one.

Hopeful candidate Rajjaas euthanized

Promising two-year-old colt Rajjaas was euthanized on Tuesday after breaking a leg in a workout at Saratoga Race Course.

Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin and owner-breeder Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid al Maktoum's Shadwell Stable were considering the Elusive Quality colt out of Ridaa, by Seattle Slew, for the Hopeful Stakes (G1) on September 4 at Saratoga Race Course.

In his only start, Rajjaas won a 5 ½-furlong maiden race by 1 ¼ lengths on August 9 at Saratoga.

"Kiaran was going to work him three-eighths so we could have him ready should we decide to run him [in the Hopeful], but it didn't quite work out," Shadwell Vice President Rick Nichols said. "When you do have a nice one, it's special, and that's what hurts so bad. One, he was a homebred, and two, he had so much potential. To get something good like that and then to lose it, it really hurts."

Sanford Stakes (G2) winner Scat Daddy and Bashford Manor Stakes (G3) winner Circular Quay are expected for the Hopeful, along with Irish Ace, Pegasus Wind, and Unbridled Express. Pegasus Wind worked five furlongs in 1:00.27 on Wednesday on a sloppy Oklahoma track.—Jeff Lowe