View Single Post
Old 08-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Saratoga

From Sporting Life.....

D-DAY FOR GEORGE
By Martin Kelly, PA Sport

George Washington faces a crucial workout tomorrow to determine if his return to action will be at Leopardstown next weekend or Goodwood the following Sunday.

The talismanic colt, who annihilated the opposition in the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket, has been off the track since pulling a hip muscle when finishing second to Araafa in the Irish equivalent over two months ago.

Trainer Aidan O'Brien has been happy with his progress since a recent racecourse gallop at Naas and is now considering the Desmond Stakes on the 20th or the Celebration Mile on the 27th of this month.

He said: "He will work again in the morning, after which we will have to make our minds up where to go as he will need to be entered for next weekend.

"If he does go to England for the Celebration Mile he will then go to the QEII at Ascot the following month, which is what I am leaning towards. The other option is the Desmond and then the Prix du Moulin, but those races might come too soon and there is only a few weeks between them."

A dual Group One-winning juvenile, George Washington has struck up a fruitful partnership with Kieren Fallon, but with the 41-year-old currently banned from racing in Britain, O'Brien will need a new pilot for the Celebration Mile.

He added: "If he was to run in England whoever rides him will need to ride him in a trial as he needs some knowing.

"Kieren did a lot of work with George over the winter so it will be a new learning process for whoever takes over."