View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
The only definitive thing that you can tell is a troubled trip IMO...."bet-back" horses that had a troubled trip in their last starts is a bit overrated and an angle that I rarely see work - although it is obviously legitimate..But, think about it...how many horses have you ever seen have a troubled trip and then they came back and won in their next starts?..You may grow really old sitting aroun and waiting to use that angle.

The best thing about watching as many races as possible IMO is just to simply gain the experience of understanding class ad understanding what a good horse looks like wen he travels....Unfortunately, that is where I find th most value in watching a lot of races nine times out of ten....just having that experinece to understand class and good horses for a particular level.
I've been watching races a long time and alway find it interesting to hear other's thoughts. I think I understand what you say about being able to tell how a good horse looks as it travels. The part of your comment that I find difficult to understand -- and always have -- is determining "class" from watching races.

Leaving aside races where horses either dominate or are obviously over-classified, what do you look for to determine class in a racehorse when you're looking at replays?