View Single Post
Old 11-10-2021, 07:06 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Essential Quality had the best overall record (5 for 7), won at 4 different distances (8.5f, 9f, 10f, 12f) at 4 different racetracks (also won on an off track), beat the Preakness winner twice, was a multiple Grade 1 winner, and won 2 classics (Belmont, Travers). He started only in Graded stakes the entire year and was unbeaten in all starts below the Grade 1 level (2 Grade 2s and a Grade 3). He did not fail the post race tests in any of his victories.
What were the two biggest tests of the year for him? The two races he was trained and set to peak in? What happened in both of those races? Sure, the Derby result was questioned because of the drug issue and because of the trips both horses had. People argued that Essential Quality was probably best even in defeat. Myself among them. Going into the Classic, I had Essential Quality clearly ahead of him. We can't, however, pretend that the Classic didn't happen. A 1-0 advantage, maybe even a 2-1 advantage, I can see an argument for the second horse. 2-0 is difficult for me. I know you'll tear it apart but it reminds me of the Sunday Silence/Easy Goer debate. After the Belmont, despite being down 1-2, I felt that Easy Goer was the better horse. The next few months saw Sunday Silence losing to Prized and winning the Super Derby while Easy Goer was out there winning the best races in the country, beating older horses, etc, and led to Easy Goer being favored in the Classic. We know what happened next.

If Essential Quality and Medina Spirit were to face each other again, I'd more than likely pick Essential Quality again because I still feel like he's probably the better horse but with voting having to be done based on the current results, it's gotta be Medina Spirit over Essential Quality.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine