Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   Stakes Archive (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   3/27 (GP): Florida Derby (G1) Day (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69306)

Kasept 03-24-2021 12:08 PM

3/27 (GP): Florida Derby (G1) Day

freddymo 03-24-2021 12:26 PM

moses 03-24-2021 01:08 PM

Initial reaction - 20/1 seems like attractive odds on Soup and Sandwich.

FATPIANO 03-24-2021 02:46 PM

This is a race to sit back and watch Greatness happen right in front of you. Greatest Honour is the real deal

Dahoss 03-24-2021 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FATPIANO (Post 1150621)
This is a race to sit back and watch Greatness happen right in front of you. Greatest Honour is the real deal

Greatness?

blackthroatedwind 03-24-2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

....and suddenly, a new contender has emerged

knickslions2 03-24-2021 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moses (Post 1150617)
Initial reaction - 20/1 seems like attractive odds on Soup and Sandwich.

Is that a meal?

moses 03-24-2021 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knickslions2 (Post 1150628)
Is that a meal?

Yes but I wouldn’t give someone an Armani suit in exchange for it.

moses 03-25-2021 10:54 AM

Quote:

Spielberg has a very good chance of winning this race.

robfla 03-25-2021 03:03 PM

ML is 9/2 on I Get It in Race 3: The Sanibel Isl. Stakes? Be lucky to get 2:1. I think she lays over this field.

knickslions2 03-25-2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robfla (Post 1150661)
ML is 9/2 on I Get It in Race 3: The Sanibel Isl. Stakes? Be lucky to get 2:1. I think he lays over this field.

I don’t see him laying over this field. I think 5 is horse to beat. 4 is faster too and 8 is a major player. 9-2 seems right

Dahoss 03-25-2021 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robfla (Post 1150661)
ML is 9/2 on I Get It in Race 3: The Sanibel Isl. Stakes? Be lucky to get 2:1. I think he lays over this field.

If she runs back to her last, she will be very tough. Totally eliminated (and lucky not to go down) by the DQ’d winner and still ran on strong at the end. Gary Barber buying her after her last is a good sign IMO as well.

Unless the Mott filly is really good, I agree with you. She stands out. Definitely won’t see 9/2 but you might get 3-1.

freddymo 03-25-2021 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind (Post 1150626)
....and suddenly, a new contender has emerged

Those 89 BSF's are intoxicating...Take it from a guy who knows intoxication

moses 03-25-2021 07:08 PM

Can someone explain the love for Known Agenda? I don’t dislike him but seems everyone is picking him.

Dahoss 03-25-2021 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moses (Post 1150672)
Can someone explain the love for Known Agenda? I don’t dislike him but seems everyone is picking him.

He seems like a horse on the improve. I think you can throw out the race in the slop and I don’t think the race at Tampa was a fair indicator of his talent.

On the flip side...what do you like about Spielberg? To me he seems like a horse who stepped up in Baffert’s juice den (Oaklawn) and has really never run a race that makes him a contender.

moses 03-25-2021 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahoss (Post 1150674)
He seems like a horse on the improve. I think you can throw out the race in the slop and I don’t think the race at Tampa was a fair indicator of his talent.

On the flip side...what do you like about Spielberg? To me he seems like a horse who stepped up in Baffert’s juice den (Oaklawn) and has really never run a race that makes him a contender.

If we look at his last race, the figures put him at the top of this group: 90 Beyer, 114 Timeform, and I believe his thorograph number was the same or similar to Greatest Honour's best. From a trip perspective, he had a bad start in the Southwest, spotted the field about 2 lengths, was wide throughout, and still managed to beat the 3rd place finisher Jackie's Warrior by 4 lengths.

It seems like he's got tactical speed to get himself good position and work out a nice trip in the Florida Derby.

I guess my biggest concern with him is whether we've seen enough of him where he's already hit near his peak and we can't expect another big move from him. But even if he runs a similar race to the Southwest but just has a better trip, then I think he's got a strong chance.

blackthroatedwind 03-25-2021 10:09 PM

There is a very valid argument that Known Agenda's last Beyer fig could be more than 10 points too low.

Conrad 03-26-2021 09:37 AM

Fla Derby

With no true E types in this field I'm thinking that Baffert & Javi are going to send Spielberg and lay down the challenge...it's what he does.
Latest work and his outside post says he's going.

If they're not careful he can open up a nice early lead. IMO Collabarate is being thrown to the wolves. He doesn't have the figs to compete and i think he chases in vain for 6f & backs off.
Interesting runner for me is Nova Rags, who figures to get a nice inside stalking run. Has the early speed to lay close to my expected front runner. I think he can move forward off his last and be a factor at a good price.

Not sure of my exact play, but 1-5-7-10 are my guys.

moses 03-26-2021 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrad (Post 1150683)
With no true E types in this field I'm thinking that Baffert & Javi are going to send Spielberg and lay down the challenge...it's what he does.
Latest work and his outside post says he's going.

If they're not careful he can open up a nice early lead. IMO Collabarate is being thrown to the wolves. He doesn't have the figs to compete and i think he chases in vain for 6f & backs off.
Interesting runner for me is Nova Rags, who figures to get a nice inside stalking run. Has the early speed to lay close to my expected front runner. I think he can move forward off his last and be a factor at a good price.

Not sure of my exact play, but 1-5-7-10 are my guys.

Interesting. I had a similar thought but was thinking that Nova Rags had to be sent, duels with Collaborate and possibly Soup and Sandwich and Spielberg sits a nice stalking trip behind them.

robfla 03-26-2021 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrad (Post 1150683)
IMO Collabarate is being thrown to the wolves. He doesn't have the figs to compete and i think he chases in vain for 6f & backs off.

what figs are you referring to? Collabarate has the highest early pace figure and fastest last race BSF ( Albeit 1 turn )