Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Paddock (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Authentic Retired (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68754)

Dahoss 11-09-2020 08:25 AM

Authentic Retired

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/b...h5HOcU.twitter

“Ultimately, we just felt there wasn’t a lot more to accomplish...”

:wf:wf:wf

I understand the monetary difference between a potential stallion and a potential broodmare. But the day after purchasing Monomoy Girl and announcing she will be back next year as a 6 year old, this announcement is very confusing. Does she have more to accomplish? She’s won 13 of 15, two Breeders Cup Distaff’s and will probably be a hall of famer.

Left Bank 11-09-2020 08:33 AM

Kinda saw this coming after he won. Too bad for racing but it's bidness as usual.

Kasept 11-09-2020 09:32 AM

It's the Into Mischief factor. Frustrating but easy to understand.

Alabama Stakes 11-09-2020 09:37 AM

Easy to understand that they care about money more than they care about the sport. Pretty soon there will be nothing left.

King Glorious 11-09-2020 11:51 AM

I expected it but would have at least liked to see him in the Pegasus before retiring.

casp0555 11-09-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes (Post 1146926)
Easy to understand that they care about money more than they care about the sport. Pretty soon there will be nothing left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6mpHW3SMcc

Far out......

Alabama Stakes 11-09-2020 01:38 PM

Underrated movie

Kasept 11-09-2020 02:13 PM

One of my absolute favorites. Has stood up really well. Mac Davis just passed away a few weeks ago. Peter Gent was the Jim Bouton of football.

Kasept 11-09-2020 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes (Post 1146932)
Underrated movie

One of my absolute favorites. Has stood up really well. Mac Davis just passed away a few weeks ago. Peter Gent was the Jim Bouton of football.

Alabama Stakes 11-09-2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 1146934)

If you like Jim Bouton, Bill Freehan’s book Behind the Mask is so good you won’t put it down. Him and Luis Tiant not in the Hall of Fame us just plain wrong. Pete Rose too.

goodcopy 11-10-2020 05:53 PM

money matters

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes (Post 1146926)

money drives the sport
Cash any tickets then gave the money back
I love the sport but the fact a owner sold there horse for some aspect of breeding has been going on for ever.
If they did this 3 months from now very little would be said!
Thoroughbred race horses run,eat,sh-t,breed and retire
This is the Sort Sport:confused:

Dunbar 11-12-2020 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodcopy (Post 1146956)
money drives the sport
Cash any tickets then gave the money back
I love the sport but the fact a owner sold there horse for some aspect of breeding has been going on for ever.
If they did this 3 months from now very little would be said!
Thoroughbred race horses run,eat,sh-t,breed and retire
This is the Sort Sport:confused:

It was not always like it is now. Even TC winners Affirmed and Seattle Slew ran as 4-year-olds, providing the sport with exciting matchups like Slew vs Affirmed and Affirmed vs Spectacular Bid.

Affirmed ran 29 times, Slew 17 times. Authentic's 8-race career leaves no time for anyone to care.

The day before the Classic, I mentioned the race to a tennis buddy of mine. I was surprised that he took a look at the lineup beforehand, texted me he was picking Tacitus, and actually watched the race. Had Authentic continued to race, I'm guessing he would have taken notice.

When there's an almost entirely new cast every year, the chance of drawing new fans is nil. As some of the recent comments here have indicated, even hanging onto old fans is doubtful. I'm not 1/10th the fan I was 20 years ago, when the BC was by far my favorite sports event of the year.

King Glorious 11-12-2020 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunbar (Post 1146978)
It was not always like it is now. Even TC winners Affirmed and Seattle Slew ran as 4-year-olds, providing the sport with exciting matchups like Slew vs Affirmed and Affirmed vs Spectacular Bid.

Affirmed ran 29 times, Slew 17 times. Authentic's 8-race career leaves no time for anyone to care.

The day before the Classic, I mentioned the race to a tennis buddy of mine. I was surprised that he took a look at the lineup beforehand, texted me he was picking Tacitus, and actually watched the race. Had Authentic continued to race, I'm guessing he would have taken notice.

When there's an almost entirely new cast every year, the chance of drawing new fans is nil. As some of the recent comments here have indicated, even hanging onto old fans is doubtful. I'm not 1/10th the fan I was 20 years ago, when the BC was by far my favorite sports event of the year.

:tro:

goodcopy 11-12-2020 03:40 PM

You are right!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunbar (Post 1146978)

Things aren't working the same way as in
the past
I love the sport but as a sport the game does not lend itself to a great deal of loyalty to the fans other than how to get more to bet !
I don't think you are going to get handicap horses to run past 4 unless there a gilding .
There is just to much money in breeding be it broodmares or studs!:o

Alabama Stakes 11-12-2020 08:44 PM

What’s the point of spending all the time and money on these hosses if when you get one who can run, you don’t run them and enjoy the wins ? It was so cool to see Cigar come and win the MassCap. The fans were so happy and grateful. Riva Ridge winning the Masscap as a 4 year old got me hooked on racing. Affirmed, Seattle Slew, Spectacular Bid were heroes. Even a hoss like Fourstardave had so many loving fans it was scary. These hosses these days are gone To the breeding shed in a flash. It’s bad for the sport. We need these hosses to run. Everyone wins.

Dahoss 11-12-2020 09:22 PM

Because that post contained the word hoss so much I now side with owners who retire prematurely.

That’s how ridiculous that act is. Whatever he thinks I automatically want to take the opposite side.

King Glorious 11-12-2020 10:33 PM

I've long said that the sport was going the wrong way. The owners have paid lots of money for these horses and they have the right to do what they want to with them. That's all I ever get told. I think that having no consideration for what fans want is what's ruining the game.

This is just a thought so some of you that know much more about this can feel free to rip it to shreds but.......could there ever be some kind of rule that says you can't breed a horse until after their 4yo season? Or until after they have run 20 races?

Alabama Stakes 11-12-2020 10:35 PM

Like this? Tiz The Law

About time they fired a jock who doesn’t listen to instructions.

Kasept 11-13-2020 03:40 AM

He's a son of the game's top sire that stands for $225,000 (at the same farm) and is fully booked.

He won the Derby and Breeders' Cup Classic, an accomplishment achieved by Sunday Silence, Unbridled & American Pharoah. Curlin (Preakness) and A.P. Indy (Belmont) were similarly Classic-Classic winners.

Of course you retire him. And you don't have to apologize either.

It gives Spendthrift 4 levels of Into Mischief for breeders to approach with the big horse ($225k), Authentic ($75k) Goldencents ($15k) & Maximus Mischief ($7.5k).

Dahoss 11-13-2020 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 1147001)
He's a son of the game's top sire that stands for $225,000 (at the same farm) and is fully booked.

He won the Derby and Breeders' Cup Classic, an accomplishment achieved by Sunday Silence, Unbridled & American Pharoah. Curlin (Preakness) and A.P. Indy (Belmont) were similarly Classic-Classic winners.

Of course you retire him. And you don't have to apologize either.

It gives Spendthrift 4 levels of Into Mischief for breeders to approach with the big horse ($225k), Authentic ($75k) Goldencents ($15k) & Maximus Mischief ($7.5k).

I think everyone understands it’s a business decision. It’s the way business is being conducted that people have an issue with.

If I was worth a few billion I’d get more joy in watching my horses run than retiring after 8 races while totally healthy. Then again I also wouldn’t have felt the need to start something like Myracehorse to further line my pockets. Different strokes I guess.