Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Uncle Mo gets treatment at Winstar (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42231)

Arletta 05-09-2011 01:11 PM

Uncle Mo gets treatment at Winstar

https://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/ra...star-rest.aspx

“It makes sense to keep him in the Lexington area, where he will have access to the best veterinary facilities,” said trainer Todd Pletcher. “Winstar Farm has a beautiful training facility which includes a [hyperbaric] chamber and a first-class staff. Our focus is to figure out what is going on internally with him and get him back to 100%. When we do figure this out, the horse is already fit so we don’t think it will take him long to get back to his two-year old form.”

paisjpq 05-09-2011 01:19 PM

sounds like repole has a partner

Indian Charlie 05-09-2011 01:27 PM

sounds like uncle mo has a new place to live.

Riot 05-09-2011 05:22 PM

Nice enough place for his new career, if his liver-GI tract is okay. Hope it is.

freddymo 05-09-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riot (Post 775530)
Nice enough place for his new career, if his liver-GI tract is okay. Hope it is.

Arent you tired of this charade? Do you really think he has a tummy ache?

Riot 05-09-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddymo (Post 775531)
Arent you tired of this charade? Do you really think he has a tummy ache?

:zz: I didn't say anything about a "tummyache". I said liver - GI tract.

outofthebox 05-09-2011 06:37 PM

I think it's a great move. Hopefully after 5-10 treatments, his condition will move forward. I know everyones tired of the charade, but i think its quite obvious that something is lingering inside him. I hope they get to the bottom of this quick!

Mawhip 05-09-2011 07:18 PM

Didn't Devil May Care have a liver. How'd that work out for Todd?

Riot 05-09-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outofthebox (Post 775545)
I think it's a great move. Hopefully after 5-10 treatments, his condition will move forward. I know everyones tired of the charade, but i think its quite obvious that something is lingering inside him. I hope they get to the bottom of this quick!

Trouble is, based on what they've said, they don't seem like they know what to treat him for yet. I doubt there's any more charade than a troubling lack of a definitive diagnosis. I'm sure they already did liver enzyme repeats, ultrasounds, etc. as indicated and came up empty. Time to get him off the track and repeat.

freddymo 05-09-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riot (Post 775532)
:zz: I didn't say anything about a "tummyache". I said liver - GI tract.

This colt never races again. Please I am sure you realize this. How can They afford further damage to his rep? Do you have a mare you want to submit to the new Unbridled Song?

Riot 05-09-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddymo (Post 775555)
This colt never races again. Please I am sure you realize this. How can They afford further damage to his rep? Do you have a mare you want to submit to the new Unbridled Song?

What I realize, as a vet, is that persistently "elevated enzymes" and a failure to respond to a course of antibiotics for a "GI tract" thing means you have to look more deeply at what is going on. I can think of multiple possibilities, some simple and curable, others not. And I can readily think of scenarios (diagnoses) that are completely compatible with what they have publicly said about the horse and his treatment/response to date. So no, I don't have to jump on a superficial assumption the horse is retired and they are lying to the public. I hope they find it, and I hope the horse is okay.

freddymo 05-09-2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riot (Post 775557)
What I realize, as a vet, is that persistently "elevated enzymes" and a failure to respond to a course of antibiotics for a "GI tract" thing means you have to look more deeply at what is going on. I can think of multiple possibilities, some simple and curable, others not. And I can readily think of scenarios (diagnoses) that are completely compatible with what they have publicly said about the horse and his treatment/response to date. So no, I don't have to jump on a superficial assumption the horse is retired and they are lying to the public. I hope they find it, and I hope the horse is okay.

Dr.. The colt is retired. While I get you are 100% correct in your medical thoughts..Clearly the colts value can not be compromised and raced with potential failure, he has done enough, he is retired for stud service period!

What would you do guess what is wrong with him and hope he races wel again at Belmont in the Jim Dandy or retire him for 40k a load?

Riot 05-09-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddymo (Post 775562)
Dr.. The colt is retired. While I get you are 100% correct in your medical thoughts..Clearly the colts value can not be compromised and raced with potential failure, he has done enough, he is retired for stud service period!

What would you do guess what is wrong with him and hope he races wel again at Belmont in the Jim Dandy or retire him for 40k a load?

My first post said that I thought he was indeed retired, but they still have to find out what's wrong with him. I hope they find it, I hope it's not serious.

Mawhip 05-09-2011 07:45 PM

Who says that don't know what's wrong with him. You don't really think they are telling the truth. Just in case you haven't hear this recently but trainers do lie.

freddymo 05-09-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riot (Post 775564)
My first post said that I thought he was indeed retired, but they still have to find out what's wrong with him. I hope they find it, I hope it's not serious.

I am sure we can agree Uncle Mo can live a healthy life as a stud without much issue.. he will be fine with some R and R..
He will be porking mares like a champ Feb1 2012

Mawhip 05-09-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddymo (Post 775567)
I am sure we can agree Uncle Mo can live a healthy life as a stud without much issue.. he will be fine with some R and R..
He will be porking mares like a champ Feb1 2012

I think breeding season begins Feb 15th.

Riot 05-09-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddymo (Post 775567)
I am sure we can agree Uncle Mo can live a healthy life as a stud without much issue..

Not if he's got something significantly wrong internally.

Yes, Mawhip, trainers lie. But from a medical standpoint, everything they've said publicly is common and obvious. I can think of at least 10 things that could cause persistently elevated "enzymes" (GGT, AST, AlkP, AST, etc if that's true) without a definitive response to an antibiotic trial.

Quite an elaborate ruse to go through if they just want to retire the horse, or if he has a musculo-skeletal injury they are trying to hide (the vets cleared the horse to run, btw, which is consistent with what they've told the public about the horses problems).

Geesh - I hope the horse turns out okay, and it ends up nothing serious, and he has a stud career (or better back to the races in the fall).

You guys think whatever the hell you want.

Riot 05-09-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mawhip (Post 775569)
I think breeding season begins Feb 15th.

As a novice, he'd be breeding non-TB mares before that, to learn what to do.

RolloTomasi 05-09-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riot (Post 775574)
Not if he's got something significantly wrong internally.

Yes, Mawhip, trainers lie. But from a medical standpoint, everything they've said publicly is common and obvious. I can think of at least 10 things that could cause persistently elevated "enzymes" (GGT, AST, AlkP, AST, etc if that's true) without a definitive response to an antibiotic trial.

Todd Pletcher said only one "enzyme" was persistently elevated, not several. That was the reason he said that they still hadn't identified the source of his ill health.

Riot 05-09-2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RolloTomasi (Post 775578)
Todd Pletcher said only one "enzyme" was persistently elevated, not several. That was the reason he said that they still hadn't identified the source of his ill health.

I know. That narrows it to one of four. That's why he needs to get off the track (as stuff there can influence two-three of them and cause elevations) and see what shakes out, if it persists.