Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Paddock (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Secret Oath (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70799)

turf fan 02-27-2022 06:28 PM

Secret Oath

Fun to see Lukas with such a nice filly late in his career. She has that big loping stride like her sire and covers a lot of ground.
I do have concern. She didn’t seem to switch leads properly and was on the wrong lead the entire stretch. Anyone else notice that? Concerned?

Dahoss 02-27-2022 06:51 PM

Good catch, but she has done the same thing in all of her races, especially the ones she has won. She takes the lead turning for home, is on the wrong lead and makes her way down to the rail.

My concern is her rider is eventually going to get her beat. No need to get cute when you’re on much the best horse.

Always good to see Lukas with a good one

RolloTomasi 02-28-2022 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turf fan (Post 1161901)
Fun to see Lukas with such a nice filly late in his career. She has that big loping stride like her sire and covers a lot of ground.
I do have concern. She didn’t seem to switch leads properly and was on the wrong lead the entire stretch. Anyone else notice that? Concerned?

Secret Oath was on the correct lead in the stretch; it looked a bit awkward because she tends to keep her head cocked to the right.

Like Da Hoss mentioned, she tends to drift towards the rail.

Not for nothing, Eight Belles did the same to one degree or another in the Martha Washington, Honey Bee, and Fantasy. Could have been DQ'd in the latter. Similar physique and stride. Same sire line, too (Unbridled's Song).

v j stauffer 02-28-2022 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RolloTomasi (Post 1161903)
Secret Oath was on the correct lead in the stretch; it looked a bit awkward because she tends to keep her head cocked to the right.

Like Da Hoss mentioned, she tends to drift towards the rail.

Not for nothing, Eight Belles did the same to one degree or another in the Martha Washington, Honey Bee, and Fantasy. Could have been DQ'd in the latter. Similar physique and stride. Same sire line, too (Unbridled's Song).

You're 100% correct about her leads. She's fine there. You're also right that she tends to drift. That's a concern but it might also be a positive in that she's still learning. I'm a little worried that she might not mentally handle the 65,000 on Arkansas Derby day. Or the 135,000 on KY Derby day.

IMO she's a generational talent.

Dahoss 02-28-2022 07:31 AM

Thank you baby Jesus for gracing us with Vic’s presence this morning!

freddymo 02-28-2022 07:35 AM

Since I dont believe Songbird was a generational talent and since Secret Oak couldn't run within a pole of Songbird I guess I am going to need to see a much faster race before I believe she is all that and a bag of chips.

Dahoss 02-28-2022 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddymo (Post 1161909)
Since I dont believe Songbird was a generational talent and since Secret Oak couldn't run within a pole of Songbird I guess I am going to need to see a much faster race before I believe she is all that and a bag of chips.

It's all about Vic always...so because she runs at Oaklawn, she's generational.

v j stauffer 02-28-2022 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddymo (Post 1161909)

If you go by Thoro-Graph which I do. She's actually a little faster than SONGBIRD.

freddymo 02-28-2022 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahoss (Post 1161911)
It's all about Vic always...so because she runs at Oaklawn, she's generational.

I took DrugS seriously after Rachel won the Martha Washington and he told me she was special, Vic not so much after the Honeybee.

freddymo 02-28-2022 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v j stauffer (Post 1161912)
If you go by Thoro-Graph which I do. She's actually a little faster than SONGBIRD.

Jerry Brown certainly has an educated opinion that warrants attention.

Dahoss 02-28-2022 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddymo (Post 1161913)
I took DrugS seriously after Rachel won the Martha Washington and he told me she was special, Vic not so much after the Honeybee.

DrugS opinion > Vic's opinion

Having said that, I'd love for her to be that good. Nothing better than when Lukas has a really good one, because you know at the least we will get to see her run.

freddymo 02-28-2022 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahoss (Post 1161915)
DrugS opinion > Vic's opinion

Having said that, I'd love for her to be that good. Nothing better than when Lukas has a really good one, because you know at the least we will get to see her run.

It would be great and don't underestimate the NBC drivel that we will be treated too

blackthroatedwind 02-28-2022 09:21 AM

There's something really wrong when horses like Secret Oath are referred to as a generational talent unless it's tongue in cheek. At this point she's a promising 3YO beating up on horribly overmatched horses, even more so than Songbird, who at least was a brilliant 2YO that never really progressed significantly but was still good enough to beat most of the horses she faced.

This has been an incredibly uninspiring crop of 3YO fillies, save Echo Zulu, so it's great to see someone else come along, but a little rational perspective wouldn't hurt.

v j stauffer 03-01-2022 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind (Post 1161920)
There's something really wrong when horses like Secret Oath are referred to as a generational talent unless it's tongue in cheek. At this point she's a promising 3YO beating up on horribly overmatched horses, even more so than Songbird, who at least was a brilliant 2YO that never really progressed significantly but was still good enough to beat most of the horses she faced.

This has been an incredibly uninspiring crop of 3YO fillies, save Echo Zulu, so it's great to see someone else come along, but a little rational perspective wouldn't hurt.

I'm rational. Well at least I think I am. I believe she's that good. Chances are I'm wrong. But I have been right before. We'll see. Should be fun.

Dahoss 03-01-2022 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v j stauffer (Post 1161939)
I'm rational. Well at least I think I am. I believe she's that good. Chances are I'm wrong. But I have been right before. We'll see. Should be fun.

How come on twitter you take shot after shot at him but here you’re cordial?

freddymo 03-01-2022 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahoss (Post 1161940)
How come on twitter you take shot after shot at him but here you’re cordial?

Shots and cordials? who is buying?

Dahoss 03-01-2022 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddymo (Post 1161941)
Shots and cordials? who is buying?

If it's for you, I'm always buying Freddy.

freddymo 03-01-2022 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahoss (Post 1161942)
If it's for you, I'm always buying Freddy.

Thank you Hoss and you know the answer to the question above

Dahoss 04-11-2022 08:16 PM

Luis Saez to ride Secret Oath in the Kentucky Oaks per Gabby Gaudet on Twitter.

cakes44 04-11-2022 10:12 PM

Needed to happen.