Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Charles Hatton Reading Room (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Unthinkable, impossible tragedy. Steve Dellinger gone (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57607)

MaTH716 06-23-2015 08:09 AM

Terrible news. My deepest condolences go out to his family and close friends.

Rest In Peace Dell.

Rudeboyelvis 06-23-2015 08:29 AM

3 pages in and still can't even begin to accept this. Horrific news. RIP Steve, deepest condolences to his family, friends, the CHI-Town DT'ers - Barney, Bob, Matt.

Stunned and Sickened by this news.

South Beach Luv 06-23-2015 08:35 AM

Terrible news, always enjoyed seeing him at Arlington. Condolences to his friends and family. RIP Dell.

fantini33 06-23-2015 08:57 AM

My tiny brain will never fully be able to wrap itself around things like this. Had some friendly banter here but having never met in person was clearly my loss...

RIP

cal828 06-23-2015 08:58 AM

Sorry to hear about Dell. I didn't really know him except through his commentary here at DT which I pretty much read on a daily basis. He was one of the regulars here that helped to make this place what it is. Sorry for the loss to his family and to DT and to his many friends wherever they might be.

asudevil 06-23-2015 09:16 AM

Sorry to have never met him.

Condolences to his family and many pals on DT.

pmayjr 06-23-2015 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cal828 (Post 1032598)
Sorry to hear about Dell. I didn't really know him except through his commentary here at DT which I pretty much read on a daily basis. He was one of the regulars here that helped to make this place what it is. Sorry for the loss to his family and to DT and to his many friends wherever they might be.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. RIP

pointman 06-23-2015 10:38 AM

I was incredibly shocked and deeply saddened to get in my car on the way to work this morning and hear this horrific, tragic news on ATR.

I regret that I never got the privilege to get out to Chicago and meet Dell but like a number of people here I felt like I got to know him through his posts which demonstrated his passion and love for the game. I find it incredible to think he was with us playing the ponies as usual just this past Saturday. He was obviously an incredibly intelligent, witty, passionate individual who has helped make this game the greatest sport in the world.

He was one of the people that have made this forum the greatest forum in horse racing. It will not be the same without him. He will obviously be sorely missed around here.

My deepest sympathies go out to the Dellinger family, Bob, Barney, and the entire Chicago crew. May he Rest in Peace.

viscount26 06-23-2015 10:59 AM

This sucks on so many levels. I remember a weekend at Saratoga when I first met the Chicago crew, and shared a ring tone app of call to the post that a good friend of mine recorded. We spent the whole week end playing it whenever Sam Grossman was in the backyard by the BBQ. It was hilarious seeing the look on his face
RIP Steve

jwkniska 06-23-2015 11:10 AM

Unthinkable's right. Won't be the same without Dell around, at AP, here or anywhere else. Way, way too early in life for someone like this to go.

RIP Dell

casp0555 06-23-2015 11:20 AM

I'm speechless....condolences to Steve's family and friends, Rest in Peace Friend....

3kings 06-23-2015 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viscount26 (Post 1032604)
This sucks on so many levels. I remember a weekend at Saratoga when I first met the Chicago crew, and shared a ring tone app of call to the post that a good friend of mine recorded. We spent the whole week end playing it whenever Sam Grossman was in the backyard by the BBQ. It was hilarious seeing the look on his face
RIP Steve

He later shared this ring tone with me at Arlington Park. I still use it and when it went off today I had a feeling of sadness but also a rememberence of what a kind fun guy he was. If after this all heals a little bit and there is something planned in his honor at Arlington please let us know because I think a few out of towners would like to attend.

GBBob 06-23-2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3kings (Post 1032608)
He later shared this ring tone with me at Arlington Park. I still use it and when it went off today I had a feeling of sadness but also a rememberence of what a kind fun guy he was. If after this all heals a little bit and there is something planned in his honor at Arlington please let us know because I think a few out of towners would like to attend.

There will absolutely be something later this year. Barney and I both texted in agreement last night that it would be appropriate and fitting to remember him where he most loved to be. As it comes together in due time, there will be updates. Thanks Tom for bringing it up.

paisjpq 06-23-2015 12:35 PM

this is really sad news. very sorry for those of you who were close to him. I only met him once or twice but he was a great guy.

Antitrust32 06-23-2015 12:59 PM

Having a hard time believing what I'm seeing.. We will sure miss you, Dell.

somerfrost 06-23-2015 01:05 PM

I have no words to express myself...RIP Dell.

nebrady 06-23-2015 01:06 PM

Late last night I found out the terrible news that I lost one of my very best friends Steve Dellinger. I'm still truly in shock and numb. I met Steve through the dogtrack in Delevan Wi and would go down to Arlington every now and then. Steve always made you feel good about life and would always be smiling and joy to be around. I have so many memories of Dellinger am truly still lost of words. He is one of the first people I met when I moved from North Dakota to Wisconsin. He helped me become a better handicapper and through him and Barney and GreenBaybob I got to be in the paddock in Arlington. A memory I will cherish forever! Just the other week I texted him about a horse called ATouchofstarquality who won. He had him on his watch list for 2 years. He played him in contest. Steve you are a touch of star quality! I will MISS YOU and wish I had one more chance to tell you how I appreciated your friendship. RIP my friend!

SniperSB23 06-23-2015 01:10 PM

Just heard the news and am completely stunned and at a loss for words. RIP Steve, the world lost a great man. I will miss your laugh forever.

philcski 06-23-2015 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPK (Post 1032593)
This just sucks on so many levels. He was such a great dude. Had some great conversations with him back in the day about family, kids, etc.. The pic from Saratoga that Byk posted brought back so many great memories from that opening weekend in '07.

My heart goes out to his family, Barney, Bob, Hooves and the rest of the Chitown crew.

Now I really wish I had made it into that photo. Was off betting or something. Definitely an epic weekend.

joeydb 06-23-2015 03:08 PM

This is terrible news. I never got to meet him personally, and now I won't get the chance.

My condolences to his family and his many friends. He must have been a great guy judging by all the positive words said here.