Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Charles Hatton Reading Room (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Beyer Checks In on Godolphin (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6296)

blackthroatedwind 10-30-2006 09:37 PM

Beyer Checks In on Godolphin

http://www.drf.com/news/article/80086.html

SCUDSBROTHER 10-30-2006 10:16 PM

"Certainly, Bernardini has generated little attention, despite his brilliance as a racehorse."-Beyer

Are you kid'n me? Even the women that post here have practically grown tools to whack off with while watching him run.

blackthroatedwind 10-30-2006 10:20 PM

Yes but this is a Horse Racing Message Board. Of course we all know about Bernardini. Bernardini is not a household name outside of racing by any stretch of the imagination. EVERYONE knew Funny Cide and Smarty Jones. You have no idea how many people I know in NY that have no interest in racing that were asking me about them. Now, to be fair they were TC aspirants, but even people knew about Lost in the Fog. Now, sure, Bernardini's Preakness win was WAY overshadowed by Barbaro's injury, but it also masked that there was no human interest story involving Bernardini.

I think it would be fair to say that Beyer is acutely aware of how much human interest stories fuel racing.

blackthroatedwind 10-30-2006 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Oops, I was typing that about Smarty and Funny Cide as you were posting it. Great minds I guess....

Mediocre minds?

King Glorious 10-30-2006 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Yes but this is a Horse Racing Message Board. Of course we all know about Bernardini. Bernardini is not a household name outside of racing by any stretch of the imagination. EVERYONE knew Funny Cide and Smarty Jones. You have no idea how many people I know in NY that have no interest in racing that were asking me about them. Now, to be fair they were TC aspirants, but even people knew about Lost in the Fog. Now, sure, Bernardini's Preakness win was WAY overshadowed by Barbaro's injury, but it also masked that there was no human interest story involving Bernardini.

I think it would be fair to say that Beyer is acutely aware of how much human interest stories fuel racing.

Exactly what I was going to say. I've been at a loss to understand why people think that Bernardini is so good for racing. The only people that know him are the people already involved in the game.

I agree with just about all of the article except for the part where it says their strategy doesn't work for the Derby. Granted, they haven't won the race yet but I feel it's more because they haven't had horses good enough try it yet. I haven't thought a single runner they've sent over has been a legit contender and it had nothing to do with where he was trained. Besides that, the Derby is just simply not an easy race to win. Look how long it took for Wayne Lukas to finally win it. A guy like Frankel has never won it. I personally think that it's silly to say that a certain strategy doesn't work because it hasn't happened yet. They say the same thing about Pletcher and that he can't win the big one. It takes time. Soon enough, the right horse will come along (for both of them) and it will happen. I think it's best to say that it hasn't worked YET. Like I said, look at Lukas. It took a while to get the door opened but once he did, he blew it off.

eurobounce 10-30-2006 10:33 PM

This just goes to show that the Kentucky Derby is all that matters to people who are not horse racing fans. They prob have heard of Barbaro and that he got hurt or something like that, but if you were to ask them about Jazil and Bernardini and which TC race they won I bet 50% wouldnt get it right.

blackthroatedwind 10-30-2006 10:37 PM

King Glorious

True enough, but their Derby results have been horrendous so far, and that does not JUST include those that have run. They have paid enormous sums for many horses over the years, and not only have those that tried it done poorly, but many never even got close to making it.

In the cases of Frankel and Pletcher that you brought up, each has had some success, Invisible Ink and Bluegrass Cat were second for Todd, and Empire Maker and Peace Rules ran two-three for Frankel. Plus, Frankel has never been a trainer focused on TC races. The Sheiks have been at least trying to be effective in the Derby for quite some time.

SCUDSBROTHER 10-30-2006 10:37 PM

Quote:

I think he meant outside of horse racing fans. You know anyone that isn't a fan of racing that knows Bernie, because I don't. But people know Funny Cide and Smarty Jones. I personally think this article is dead on. I was also unaware that Darley really didn't breed Bernie. Rather they bought Cara Rafaela in foal.

Trainers,and breeders are whores(with regard to this.) You could be scum of the Earth,a dictator,or whatever,and Frankel would train for you.Arabs could be cutting Jews heads off(and using them for bowling balls,)and he would still train for them. These Sheiks have been rippin' their people off forever,and nobody in the horseracing industry has cared before.I Don't think they will start to care now.Is Andy saying that the imdustry will start to care if they start winning our Triple Crown races? I don't think so.The industry just cares about getting money,and they don't care where those people got it from...."Can you get an owners license"-that's all they care about.

Cannon Shell 10-30-2006 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Trainers,and breeders are whores(with regard to this.) You could be scum of the Earth,a dictator,or whatever,and Frankel would train for you.Arabs could be cutting Jews heads off(and using them for bowling balls,)and he would still train for them. These Sheiks have been rippin' their people off forever,and nobody in the horseracing industry has cared before.I Don't think they will start to care now.Is Andy saying that the imdustry will start to care if they start winning our Triple Crown races? I don't think so.The industry just cares about getting money,and they don't care where those people got it from...."Can you get an owners license"-that's all they care about.

As crude as the language is, astonishingly enough, you are pretty much dead on.

Coach Pants 10-30-2006 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

SCUDSBROTHER 10-30-2006 11:15 PM

Quote:

Yeah I hear what you are saying, and I agree with some of it, but I don't think that's what Beyer is saying. IMO he is just saying that what Godolphin is now doing is detrimental to the industry from a fans perspective. Of course the breeders like the sheiks, they are lining their pockets. But the fans like a story, and there isn't much story about a horse that was one of many purchased for a crazy sum, that runs a handful of times a year. Certainly they aren't the only ones guilty of this, just the most seen.

Yes,and I can't understand where he gets off complaining about it now.Seems like people here weren't upset about these Sheiks using the Country's oil money to buy horses.That.. they didn't complain about.They are complaining about them winning our big races.If Andy really cared about these Sheiks rippin' their country's people off,then it would seem the article should be about the prices paid at auction.People didn't seem too up in arms when these sheiks spent the money,but when the horses they spent the money on do well,that's when people start getting upset.LOL..Did he expect them to keep failing after buying up all the best bred horses,and the fastest prospects they could find?

blackthroatedwind 10-30-2006 11:22 PM

The story is timely with the BC coming this weekend and Godolphin holding a very strong hand for the races. That is why it is a story of specific interest right now.

blackthroatedwind 10-30-2006 11:29 PM

I assume it is. It was my understanding it was in tomorrow's Washington Post.

point given 10-30-2006 11:31 PM

Poor Jenny

I certainly have missed the yearly Jenny Craig runners since those nasty sheiks bought up everything with 4 legs ! For heavens sake I've gone off my diet and put on 20 pounds :D