Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports Bar & Grill (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I always thought Shaughnessy was an idiot but... (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35733)

Cannon Shell 04-26-2010 05:57 PM

I always thought Shaughnessy was an idiot but...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

now he has proved it. Not by saying that Boston will beat cleveland (which is laughable) but he managed to write an article that predicts a NBA series upset because:

1. The Celtics dont 'fear' the cavs? What is this MMA?
2. Rondo is better (only valid point)
3. Big baby contributes more?? He does?
4. Perkins is stronger? Are they lifting weights?
5. Cleveland has too much pressure because of Ernest byner. Like NBA players care about things that happened years ago in different sports

and the top reason

6. The addition of the corpses of Mike Finley and Rasheed Wallace????

Wow. Great, indepth analysis....

I don't know who is dumber, him for writing this or me for reading it....

I guess me because he actually gets paid to write stupid stuff

ateamstupid 04-26-2010 07:09 PM

Baby does contribute more, but we don't have Powe anymore, so it's kind of negated. And while Sheed has been a complete waste, Finley's been pretty effective in limited minutes.

The only reason the Celtics have a chance against Cleveland is how good Pierce and Allen have looked so far. And Rondo presents many of the same problems Rose has.

Cannon Shell 04-26-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ateamstupid (Post 640103)
Baby does contribute more, but we don't have Powe anymore, so it's kind of negated. And while Sheed has been a complete waste, Finley's been pretty effective in limited minutes.

The only reason the Celtics have a chance against Cleveland is how good Pierce and Allen have looked so far. And Rondo presents many of the same problems Rose has.

Well at least you offered up a couple of valid points

I would be surprised if Boston won more than a game. Pierce is going to have to literally carry them on his back to get more than a win. Brown seems to finally have figured out they are a better team going small. Plays to Lebron and Jamisons strengths. They may need Shaq and ilgauksas and their 12 fouls against Orlando but Garnett isnt the same guy as he was 2 years ago and Rasheed is a slug.

ateamstupid 04-26-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannon Shell (Post 640114)
Well at least you offered up a couple of valid points

I would be surprised if Boston won more than a game. Pierce is going to have to literally carry them on his back to get more than a win. Brown seems to finally have figured out they are a better team going small. Plays to Lebron and Jamisons strengths. They may need Shaq and ilgauksas and their 12 fouls against Orlando but Garnett isnt the same guy as he was 2 years ago and Rasheed is a slug.

They split the season series and the Celtics blew a huge lead in one of the games they lost. It'll be competitive at least.

dalakhani 04-26-2010 07:41 PM

I don't remember who said it but the quote went something like "this series against Miami is Boston's last important series". I think that is quite accurate.

Ainge did his job. They won a title. And now the inevitable ride back down into mediocrity (or worse).

The only team in the NBA that has a chance right now against Cleveland is Orlando. That includes the Lakers. Atlanta's length could give either cle or orlando problems but there is no way they get through both.

Cannon Shell 04-26-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ateamstupid (Post 640119)
They split the season series and the Celtics blew a huge lead in one of the games they lost. It'll be competitive at least.

Not really relevant

the 2 Cle losses were the 1st game of the season and another game a few weeks ago where they sleepwalked through the 1st half, got down by 24 and just got beat (the game where leBron took the off balance three instead of going to the hole to force OT)

it wont be close

Cannon Shell 04-26-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalakhani (Post 640124)
I don't remember who said it but the quote went something like "this series against Miami is Boston's last important series". I think that is quite accurate.

Ainge did his job. They won a title. And now the inevitable ride back down into mediocrity (or worse).

The only team in the NBA that has a chance right now against Cleveland is Orlando. That includes the Lakers. Atlanta's length could give either cle or orlando problems but there is no way they get through both.

Mike Woodson's goatee agrees

ateamstupid 04-26-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannon Shell (Post 640125)
Not really relevant

the 2 Cle losses were the 1st game of the season and another game a few weeks ago where they sleepwalked through the 1st half, got down by 24 and just got beat (the game where leBron took the off balance three instead of going to the hole to force OT)

it wont be close

I'll bet you something it goes at least 6.

dalakhani 04-26-2010 08:11 PM

that is a heck of a wager joey. I want to pull the trigger on that but I could see the cavs letting up for two games.

GBBob 04-26-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalakhani (Post 640143)
that is a heck of a wager joey. I want to pull the trigger on that but I could see the cavs letting up for two games.

If the Bulls can win one, Boston can win two

docicu3 04-26-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBBob (Post 640165)

I may end up regretting this but I would want to know the money line for a C's vs "Labron and the Labronettes". Her heiness has still never won anything but exhibitions and high school games. Assuming he gets a walk over in the next round may be a bit hasty....

Cannon Shell 04-26-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ateamstupid (Post 640128)
I'll bet you something it goes at least 6.

ok

Cannon Shell 04-26-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBBob (Post 640165)

The celtics arent a whole lot better than the Bulls

Cannon Shell 04-26-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docicu3 (Post 640188)
I may end up regretting this but I would want to know the even money line for a C's vs "Labron and the Labronettes". Her heiness has still never won anything but exhibitions and high school games. Assuming he gets a walk over in the next round may be a bit hasty....

Does anybody actually watch the games? Have you seen Boston play lately? What matchup does boston have an advantage at? Williams and Rondo is basically a wash because Williams is such a better shooter with 3 pt range and a 90% FT though Rondo is now an elite PG. You want Pierce against leBron? Think the 2010 version of Garnett is better than Jamison/Funny hair guy/Hickson combo? Shaq/Ilguakgas or Perkins? I'll give you Allen on the offensive end but simply because Cleveland's SG's arent asked to do much on that end because of James, not because he is the Ray Allen of 2006.

The Celts bench is not productive. Allen/Davis have their moments but that is pretty much it. Davis played great in place of Garnett in game 2 but hasnt had another good game the whole series against a pretty inept Miami frontline. The last 2 games Bostons bench hasnt done much of anything. Cleveland has a huge edge in depth.

Neither team has Red Auerbach as a coach so there isnt much of an advantage for Boston there. Plus LeBron is clearly the best player on the court for most of the game and Rasheed is clearly the worst when he drags himself off the bench.

What happens to Boston is Rondo gets into foul trouble? You feelin nate Dogg in the playoffs? They basically have no backup PG. They may get swept.

docicu3 04-26-2010 10:17 PM

[quote=Cannon Shell;640202]Does anybody actually watch the games? Have you seen Boston play lately? What matchup does boston have an advantage at? Williams and Rondo is basically a wash because Williams is such a better shooter with 3 pt range and a 90% FT though Rondo is now an elite PG. You want Pierce against leBron? Think the 2010 version of Garnett is better than Jamison/Funny hair guy/Hickson combo? Shaq/Ilguakgas or Perkins? I'll give you Allen on the offensive end but simply because Cleveland's SG's arent asked to do much on that end because of James, not because he is the Ray Allen of 2006.

Yeah, I've seen every minute of this Heat series where the Celts have simply been the better team every game. Teams with older stars coast Chuck when they know the best chance of them surviving is to play the best seeds like Labron's boys as early as possible in the playoffs. Doc is able to get the most out of what guys are playing well and what combinations work. Rhondo is a wild card who may play like an all pro or a hack who blows lay ups. He's gifted and useless all in the same day at times. Having seen generations of this team find ways to beat younger and supposedly better players time and time again. I like the Celts chances to give this a run but assuming both get there to round 2 easily, if the Celts lose two in Cleveland to start the series you may be right about losing a short series but if the green split or better they have the talent to finish it which an awful lot of teams don't have. Sit back and enjoy it....

dalakhani 04-26-2010 10:27 PM

I will give you odds on that series Doc. You want +200?

Cannon Shell 04-26-2010 10:30 PM

[quote=docicu3;640207]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannon Shell (Post 640202)
Does anybody actually watch the games? Have you seen Boston play lately? What matchup does boston have an advantage at? Williams and Rondo is basically a wash because Williams is such a better shooter with 3 pt range and a 90% FT though Rondo is now an elite PG. You want Pierce against leBron? Think the 2010 version of Garnett is better than Jamison/Funny hair guy/Hickson combo? Shaq/Ilguakgas or Perkins? I'll give you Allen on the offensive end but simply because Cleveland's SG's arent asked to do much on that end because of James, not because he is the Ray Allen of 2006.

Yeah, I've seen every minute of this Heat series where the Celts have simply been the better team every game. Teams with older stars coast Chuck when they know the best chance of them surviving is to play the best seeds like Labron's boys as early as possible in the playoffs. Doc is able to get the most out of what guys are playing well and what combinations work. Rhondo is a wild card who may play like an all pro or a hack who blows lay ups. He's gifted and useless all in the same day at times. Having seen generations of this team find ways to beat younger and supposedly better players time and time again. I like the Celts chances to give this a run but assuming both get there to round 2 easily, if the Celts lose two in Cleveland to start the series you may be right about losing a short series but if the green split or better they have the talent to finish it which an awful lot of teams don't have. Sit back and enjoy it....

The Heat are a lottery team with a superstar. If the Celtics are coasting then you better tell Doc Rivers who is playing Pierce and Rondo 40+ minutes a game. They should have lost game 3 and had Miami dead to rights before Wade went crazy. But Miami stinks...They have 1 guy who would start for Cleveland and the rest of the team couldnt break into Clevelands rotation. Beasley is a bum, O'Neil has been awful, Haslip is average at best, Joel Anthony trys hard, Q is Q (avg at best), Chalmers is probably below average, Dorell Wright??, Arroyo??

The thing is that Cleveland has the best player, better matchups, better bench, is younger, faster, more athletic, better rested, etc....And Doc Rivers aint turning into Chuck Daly.

docicu3 04-26-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalakhani (Post 640213)
I will give you odds on that series Doc. You want +200?

Please don't be offended but if I end up playing this it will be with the same bookie I've known since '75 in college. Let's see where this is when they get ready to actually play before we assume everything will be the same for this series. The Celts need to close tomorrow to get enough rest to be ready. I don't understand why everyone wants to assume Clev. is unbeatable. Far too much made of a guy hitting half and three quarter shots for the TV cameras and not enough about playoff experience and so far his lack of it.

dalakhani 04-26-2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docicu3 (Post 640222)
Please don't be offended but if I end up playing this it will be with the same bookie I've known since '75 in college. Let's see where this is when they get ready to actually play before we assume everything will be the same for this series. The Celts need to close tomorrow to get enough rest to be ready. I don't understand why everyone wants to assume Clev. is unbeatable. Far too much made of a guy hitting half and three quarter shots for the TV cameras and not enough about playoff experience and so far his lack of it.

Not offended at all doc.

I don't think cleveland is unbeatable so much as I think Boston is done. Any of those other semifinalists (assuming atl and orlando get in) would beat Boston this year in my opinion.

Their window was short.

Cannon Shell 04-26-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docicu3 (Post 640222)

Cleveland is not unbeatable but there is no logical reason to think Boston can beat them 4 times out of 7.

If you watch the NBA and cant appreciate LeBron James...

There is no bigger misnomer in team sports that a guy isnt the "best player" till he wins a championship. It is so illogical that I cant believe smart people buy into it. This isnt Tennis or Golf. What team drafts a player, front office moves, injuries, coaching (bad or good) and the other guys on the team dictate who wins championships. Kobe doesnt win a title without Shaq or without Chris Chris Wallace. Jordans run isnt as dominant if Pippen stays with the Sonics instead of getting traded to Chicago on draft day, Garnett never wins anything without pierce and Allen and getting traded to the celtics. Say he got traded to NJ?

You wanna say leBron hasnt won anything? Check out the Easterm Conference Champions of 2006-07.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006%E2...valiers_season

Getting to the Finals with that crew is a far greater accomplishment than 99% of NBA championship teams. Not one player on that team was a regular starter on another team after leaving. Not one. Of the few guys who are still plying, none of them start. He basically made the NBA finals with a team where noone else was even an NBA starter. I think he has established himself.