Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Paddock (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NYTHA Lasix Primer & Letter to NYS RWB (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46678)

Kasept 05-10-2012 01:06 PM

NYTHA Lasix Primer & Letter to NYS RWB

For those that would like to know more: http://nytha.com/pdf/the_lasix_question.pdf

Danzig 05-10-2012 02:32 PM

i think i posted this same link in that very, very long thread begun a few weeks back on lasix. i recommend everyone read it, as i found it very informative.

i applaud the people who want to clean up horse racing. i just don't agree with where they've focused their energies.

parsixfarms 05-10-2012 02:50 PM

I would encourage anyone who believes that banning raceday Lasix is a mistake to click the attached link and send your name to the NYSRWB as opposed to any proposal to ban raceday Lasix: http://takeaction.nytha.com/.

Riot 05-10-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parsixfarms (Post 859710)
I would encourage anyone who believes that banning raceday Lasix is a mistake to click the attached link and send your name to the NYSRWB as opposed to any proposal to ban raceday Lasix: http://takeaction.nytha.com/.

Done. Thanks for the link.

cmorioles 05-10-2012 05:12 PM

A lot of good information, but also plenty omitted and clearly biased.

Kasept 05-10-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmorioles (Post 859750)
A lot of good information, but also plenty omitted and clearly biased.

Good. That means it's at least level with the omitted and biased information promulgated by the opposition.

cmorioles 05-10-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 859752)
Good. That means it's at least level with the omitted and biased information promulgated by the opposition.

Of course. Are you going to post that side as well?

Kasept 05-10-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmorioles (Post 859758)

No. You can if you want to though.

Cannon Shell 05-10-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmorioles (Post 859758)

I believe the cleanracing.org thread would qualify.

cmorioles 05-10-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 859761)
No. You can if you want to though.

I've given my thoughts. I'll have to check the thread others mention since I didn't see it.

The biggest thing I have trouble with is that nobody wants to test if horses that don't need Lasix run faster with it than without it. Everything I've learned about racing in 30 years of following the sport seems to point to the fact that it does, but nobody wants to address this.

Danzig 05-10-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmorioles (Post 859776)
I've given my thoughts. I'll have to check the thread others mention since I didn't see it.

The biggest thing I have trouble with is that nobody wants to test if horses that don't need Lasix run faster with it than without it. Everything I've learned about racing in 30 years of following the sport seems to point to the fact that it does, but nobody wants to address this.

as i've asked before, how can you tell if a horse needs it? it's my understanding that eiph can occur at any time without warning, and that severe enough episodes can cause permanent lung damage. so, how does one determine when a horse will bleed? and if you can't tell, isn't it better to prevent something that could happen, rather than have regret for not preventing it, and having permanent consequences as a result?
it is also my understanding that the only enhancement is that a horse hindered by bleeding is no longer hindered when given lasix. that way he can run to his talent-not below, not above.

Cannon Shell 05-10-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmorioles (Post 859776)

Some horses run faster in blinkers than without them but no one is suggesting that they are performance enhancers when they clearly can be.

Just sayin...

cmorioles 05-10-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannon Shell (Post 859780)
Some horses run faster in blinkers than without them but no one is suggesting that they are performance enhancers when they clearly can be.

Just sayin...

They aren't a drug...just sayin...

cmorioles 05-10-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danzig (Post 859778)
as i've asked before, how can you tell if a horse needs it? it's my understanding that eiph can occur at any time without warning, and that severe enough episodes can cause permanent lung damage. so, how does one determine when a horse will bleed? and if you can't tell, isn't it better to prevent something that could happen, rather than have regret for not preventing it, and having permanent consequences as a result?
it is also my understanding that the only enhancement is that a horse hindered by bleeding is no longer hindered when given lasix. that way he can run to his talent-not below, not above.

So we are back to this...just drug all horses whether they need it or not.

I keep hearing this about only helping a horse run to its ability, but I don't think it is true.

Cannon Shell 05-10-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmorioles (Post 859781)
They aren't a drug...just sayin...

Either is a buzzer/joint

However under the definition of performance enhancer that you are placing on lasix they all can produce the same result. Yet one is illegal, one no one even mentions as a performance enhancer though it clearly can enhance performance and the other is lasix.

Cannon Shell 05-10-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmorioles (Post 859782)
So we are back to this...just drug all horses whether they need it or not.

I keep hearing this about only helping a horse run to its ability, but I don't think it is true.

It clearly helps in preventing bleeding but for some reason that is always ignored.

cmorioles 05-10-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannon Shell (Post 859784)
Either is a buzzer/joint

However under the definition of performance enhancer that you are placing on lasix they all can produce the same result. Yet one is illegal, one no one even mentions as a performance enhancer though it clearly can enhance performance and the other is lasix.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the debate on Lasix. Buzzers are illegal, so who cares? You want to ban blinkers because they enhance performance, be my guest. I don't care. But clearly the public is going to see a big difference between legal equipment and legal drugs. What is next, tongue ties? Bandages? Different bits? I say we stick to drugs.

cmorioles 05-10-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannon Shell (Post 859786)
It clearly helps in preventing bleeding but for some reason that is always ignored.

I'm not ignoring this at all. I'm ceding that point. I'd be foolish not to do so. If you want to pretend there aren't trainers using Lasix because they think it gives the horse an edge, we'll just have to disagree. I know better.

Cannon Shell 05-10-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmorioles (Post 859787)
I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the debate on Lasix. Buzzers are illegal, so who cares? You want to ban blinkers because they enhance performance, be my guest. I don't care. But clearly the public is going to see a big difference between legal equipment and legal drugs. What is next, tongue ties? Bandages? Different bits? I say we stick to drugs.

Under the definition that makes Lasix a performance enhancer all of these things qualify. So why stop at Lasix? Are tongue ties natural to horses? Ever see a set of blinkers on a horse in the wild?

"Let the horse, not the equipment, determine the outcome"

cmorioles 05-10-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannon Shell (Post 859791)
Under the definition that makes Lasix a performance enhancer all of these things qualify. So why stop at Lasix? Are tongue ties natural to horses? Ever see a set of blinkers on a horse in the wild?

"Let the horse, not the equipment, determine the outcome"

I already said I'm fine with that, but they aren't drugs. There really isn't a comparison here, just a "Stretch Armstrong" type reach.