Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   Triple Crown Topics/Archive.. (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Derby Trail/Triple Crown Notebook (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53277)

Danzig 03-15-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemoncrush (Post 969500)
I get all that. But including Shared Belief as an individual entry amongst their 23 betting interests in the last pool may have led some to believe that Churchill received good information that the connections had the best intentions to go the Derby. I didn't bet him, so I don't really care. Just think it was a little disingenuous including him as an individual entry. He should have been included in the "all others".

and i have no doubt barring the hoof issue, he would have been a derby entrant. there's too much attention being paid to the trainers' comments now that the horse is no longer a potential starter.
of course key horses, especially the champ 2 yo, will be a separate betting interest as long as they're a potential starter.
sorry that i don't share the outrage. i just don't see a reason believe there's nefarious behavior here. all 23 individual entrants could end up out of the race. then what? will future bettors be saying there shouldn't be a future bet at all?

lemoncrush 03-15-2014 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danzig (Post 969587)
and i have no doubt barring the hoof issue, he would have been a derby entrant. there's too much attention being paid to the trainers' comments now that the horse is no longer a potential starter.
of course key horses, especially the champ 2 yo, will be a separate betting interest as long as they're a potential starter.
sorry that i don't share the outrage. i just don't see a reason believe there's nefarious behavior here. all 23 individual entrants could end up out of the race. then what? will future bettors be saying there shouldn't be a future bet at all?

I think this example gives more proof that they should open it up to a lot more individual betting interests than 23. If you bet a future in the NFL or any other major sport, they have odds for every single team. Should be the same for horse racing instead of 23 horses hand picked by a few people.

If every triple crown nominated horse was available to wager on, I'd have zero problem with the secrecy around Shared Belief's connections to not point to the derby.

Kasept 03-15-2014 08:05 PM

STANDINGS UPDATED: http://www.kentuckyderby.com/sites/k...0Standings.pdf

Danzig 03-15-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemoncrush (Post 969728)
I think this example gives more proof that they should open it up to a lot more individual betting interests than 23. If you bet a future in the NFL or any other major sport, they have odds for every single team. Should be the same for horse racing instead of 23 horses hand picked by a few people.

If every triple crown nominated horse was available to wager on, I'd have zero problem with the secrecy around Shared Belief's connections to not point to the derby.

agree completely that they should have more than 23.
as to secrecy regarding shared belief....it was no secret he had a hoof issue. that's a caveat emptor moment right there.

lemoncrush 03-16-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 967032)
4/5/14 Wood Memorial 1 1/8M - AQU:

Samraat (Violette)
Uncle Sigh (Contessa)
In Trouble (T. Dutrow)
Honor Code (McGaughey)
Commissioner (Pletcher)
Noble Moon (Gyarmati)
Kid Cruz (Rice)
Social Inclusion (M. Azpurua)

I've read in a few places that Clement is pointing Tonalist to the Wood, if he continues to train well up to the race.

letswastemoney 03-16-2014 06:33 PM

Shouldn't Edison and Gala Award be pointing towards dirt races? Bernardini is a dirt sire! I wonder how good they'd both be.

RockHardTen1985 03-16-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letswastemoney (Post 969892)
Shouldn't Edison and Gala Award be pointing towards dirt races? Bernardini is a dirt sire! I wonder how good they'd both be.

I would not call Bernardini a dirt sire, so far he has been a major disapointment. And Pletcher is pretty sharp, Im guessing if either could dirt they would have already run over the surface.

tanner12oz 03-16-2014 07:25 PM

Pablo del Monte and Harry holiday to the spiral

letswastemoney 03-16-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 (Post 969899)
I would not call Bernardini a dirt sire, so far he has been a major disapointment. And Pletcher is pretty sharp, Im guessing if either could dirt they would have already run over the surface.

And I would have to disagree, as Bernardini is very much a dirt sire in my book. Connections make mistakes all the time. Cigar biggest example. Imperative is a recent example of a better dirt horse sired by Bernardini.

letswastemoney 03-16-2014 07:28 PM

But, I'm not saying Bernardinis are good overall, only that they're better on dirt and excellent on wet dirt.

pmayjr 03-16-2014 09:15 PM

since Edison and Gala Award are owned by the Coolmores, maybe they're telling Todd where to enter the horses? Eventhough they're both Bernardinis, and one would think their preferred surfaces would be dirt, the Coolmores probably are the ones calling the shots.

RockHardTen1985 03-16-2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmayjr (Post 969909)
since Gala Award is owned by the Coolmores, maybe they're telling Todd where to enter the horse? Eventhough he is a Bernardini, and one would think his preferred surface would be dirt, the Coolmores probably are the ones calling the shots.

Regardless of what some people say, Bernardini has been a gigantic bust as a sire. And again, just because he is a Bernardini does not mean he will be better on dirt. There is pretty much 0 chance at all that Todd does not already know the horse cant run on dirt, or horses in this case.

pmayjr 03-16-2014 09:20 PM

I dispute that... I mean, you could definitely be right, but I don't think it's proven yet. How do we know until we see him run over the surface? I think Poker Player has awesome potential on dirt as well. Should I think because Catalano has only entered him on dirt and synth that he won't ever be a dirt horse?

Kasept 03-17-2014 09:50 AM

Rusty Arnold tells ATR listeners that recent Gulfstream MDN winner Woodfield Springs (Raven's Pass) will go in Blue Grass @keeneland next..

RockHardTen1985 03-17-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 969936)
Rusty Arnold tells ATR listeners that recent Gulfstream MDN winner Woodfield Springs (Raven's Pass) will go in Blue Grass @keeneland next..

I realize he had a dream trip last time, but I think Woodfield Springs can turn into a turf superstar. He should be pointed to that big new turf race at Belmont.

Kasept 03-18-2014 06:30 AM

Looks like 12 for the Spiral..

Tamarando (Hollendorfer)
We Miss Artie (Pletcher)
Solitary Ranger (Catalano)
Asserting Bear (Baker)
Coastline (Casse)
Harry's Holiday (Maker)
Arctic Slope (McPeek)
Big Bazinga (Vassilieva)
All Tied Up (Pletcher)
Almost Famous (Byrne)
Smart Cover (Romans)
Tourist (Mott)

pmayjr 03-18-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 970028)

Tamarando (Hollendorfer)
We Miss Artie (Pletcher)
Asserting Bear (Baker)
Coastline (Casse)
Harry's Holiday (Maker)
Arctic Slope (McPeek)
Big Bazinga (Vassilieva)
All Tied Up (Pletcher)
Almost Famous (Byrne)
Smart Cover (Romans)
Tourist (Mott)

Good grief... that race isnt exactly murder's row. I could see Big Bazinga, We Miss Artie or Solitary Ranger running huge over that surface... and then being the longest shot on the board on Derby Day. If Tamarando is the real deal he needs to beat this bunch and in convincing fashion.

Smart Cover and Tourist are eligible to move up, but... wow... for all the weak preps thus far, this one is up there.

VOL JACK 03-18-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 (Post 969899)

I'm not sure what you would call him then.

Bernardini Dirt stats.
1071 starts from 198 different horses 17% Winners 44% ITM 28 stakes wins.
236 starts on an off track 21% winners.

Bernardini's turf stats
361 starts from 128 different horses. 7% winners 28% ITM 2 stakes wins.
Around 3-4% first time turf.

pmayjr 03-18-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 970028)

Tamarando (Hollendorfer)
We Miss Artie (Pletcher)
Asserting Bear (Baker)
Coastline (Casse)
Harry's Holiday (Maker)
Arctic Slope (McPeek)
Big Bazinga (Vassilieva)
All Tied Up (Pletcher)
Almost Famous (Byrne)
Smart Cover (Romans)
Tourist (Mott)

Supposedly Catalano is entering BOTH Solitary Ranger and Poker Player in the Spiral. Maybe he hopes that if either/both have solid performances, but don't win, they can be wheeled back in 3 weeks for the Blue Grass?

Per Brisnet-
Quote:

According to Turfway's assistant racing secretary and stakes coordinator Tia Murphy, trainer Wayne Catalano has moved John Battaglia Memorial runner-up Poker Player from "considering" to "expected to enter."

RockHardTen1985 03-18-2014 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOL JACK (Post 970057)
I'm not sure what you would call him then.

Bernardini Dirt stats.
1071 starts from 198 different horses 17% Winners 44% ITM 28 stakes wins.
236 starts on an off track 21% winners.

Bernardini's turf stats
361 starts from 128 different horses. 7% winners 28% ITM 2 stakes wins.
Around 3-4% first time turf.

I would call him a giant bust as a sire.