Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Charles Hatton Reading Room (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Where's the Scat Daddy Thread? (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6660)

blackthroatedwind 11-07-2006 07:01 PM

Where's the Scat Daddy Thread?

Seems we have spent a lot of time talking about a number of horses from the BC but I can remember nary a mention of one of the most bragged about pre-BC entrants....Scat Daddy. I seem to recall him being the next new superstar just a few short days ago and suddenly his mediocre effort isn't even worth reviewing?

My thoughts? Well, certainly he was never as good as his internet persona, having run some nice races but never running fast enough to earn the kind of praise being thrown around. However, he had overcome trouble in one start ( albeit to beat a very mediocre Teuflesburg ), and at least I felt he was a deserving favorite heading into Saturday. However, he hardly even lived up to that praise. So...what happened? I would say two things, one he had never been two turns, and at least for now there has to be at least some question if he is best suited to one turn races of mostly a mile or less. Secondly, I don't feel he was the benefit of a greatly timed ride, being forced to move too soon into the teeth of a very competitive pace. And, finally, I do think it's worth weighing the very real possibility that he is yet another horse from that barn that showed his best stuff early only to peter out as the later races came along. I fully expect an explosive return at Gulfstream followed by a succession of increasingly disappointing efforts. However, he was certainly more than good enough to bounce back and still have a good year in 2007. I just wonder if he has distance limitations ( at best ) and will be forced onto the TC trail and have a More Than Ready like campaign that barely gives him even an opportunity to run to his strengths.

Anybody else care to check in? I would love to hear some UNBIASED analysis by really anyone but particularly those that were extremely enamored with him what seems like just minutes ago.

Clip-Clop 11-07-2006 07:05 PM

Still loads of upside

He will be very good just didn't get what he needed. Think Magnum or one of the many incredible Pletchers that aren't quite there.

blackthroatedwind 11-07-2006 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clip-Clop
He will be very good just didn't get what he needed. Think Magnum or one of the many incredible Pletchers that aren't quite there.

Who are the " many incredible Pletchers that aren't quite there "?

Sorry, but I don't get the Magnum reference. Feel free to enlighten me.

TitanSooner 11-07-2006 07:09 PM

Was Scat Daddy running? I was too enthralled with Circular Quay err.... Street Sense " exploding to the lead "

philcski 11-07-2006 07:12 PM

There's a reason Pletcher sold out of his share as soon as he had the chance- he's just not that good. His figures were mediocre at Saratoga for the level (which obviously doesn't say much about his competition there, either...), evidenced by the fact that he had to struggle to get by Teuflesberg in the last jump in the 6F race.

He'll be gone by the 2nd 2007 Derby prep.

blackthroatedwind 11-07-2006 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanSooner
Was Scat Daddy running? I was too enthralled with Circular Quay err.... Street Sense " exploding to the lead "

You were just unduly influenced by those around you:D .

TitanSooner 11-07-2006 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
You were just unduly influenced by those around you:D .

very possible. LOL

brianwspencer 11-07-2006 07:53 PM

the scat daddy thread came up near the top of the page earlier today.....

....but then it faded right down when it actually mattered.

fitting, huh?

QUANROSS 11-07-2006 08:00 PM

I did bet not bet Scat Daddy Sat. I won't wirte him off just yet, though he may not ne two turn horse.

I DID bet CP West and Street Sense. We all know how Street Sense faired, any thoughts on CP West? Wondering if that last work took too much out of him.

Cajungator26 11-07-2006 08:01 PM

I like Scat Daddy a lot...

I don't think the two turns were as much a problem as the distance. I think he might be better suited for a mile.

blackthroatedwind 11-07-2006 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cajungator26
I like Scat Daddy a lot...

I don't think the two turns were as much a problem as the distance. I think he might be better suited for a mile.

Well, I guess that rules out a start at Charles Town or Timonium.

QUANROSS 11-07-2006 08:06 PM

Quote:

WAY harsh! LOL

hoovesupsideyourhead 11-07-2006 08:12 PM

im sure your correct on all fronts..a nice run in gulfstream then...a move to the turf...the noble causway route..the move to the turf seems to be the trainers ace in the hole..."i always thought he was a turf horse"...lolafter that its finger lakes...

GPK 11-07-2006 08:28 PM

Quote:

Ahhhh....good ole Timonium....home of the 3 turn 6 furlong sprint

brianwspencer 11-07-2006 09:21 PM

i cant believe nobody even thought i was funny.

i thought i was a hoot for what its worth

QUANROSS 11-07-2006 09:24 PM

Quit strokin' urself.

Ok ok, you were V funny.........

brianwspencer 11-07-2006 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QUANROSS
Quit strokin' urself.

Ok ok, you were V funny.........

well come on, its not easy to be funny talking about horses, so it's not often that i try....

perhaps this was the reason :)

QUANROSS 11-07-2006 09:31 PM

Got it. U R humor is understood!:)