Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   Triple Crown Topics/Archive.. (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   5/4 (CD): 145th Kentucky Oaks Day ~ 1st/4th off the turf.. (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66136)

Kasept 04-29-2019 01:43 PM

5/4 (CD): 145th Kentucky Oaks Day ~ 1st/4th off the turf..

declansharbor 04-29-2019 03:38 PM

Is the Edgewood that includes Newspaperofrecord and the 1/9 odds accompanying her part of the Oaks Day P6?

ateamstupid 04-29-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by declansharbor (Post 1125312)
Is the Edgewood that includes Newspaperofrecord and the 1/9 odds accompanying her part of the Oaks Day P6?

Yep, first leg. Don't think she'll be 1-9 if the other Chad stays in there but obviously still very short and I too was surprised to see it included in the Pick 6.

philcski 04-29-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ateamstupid (Post 1125313)
Yep, first leg. Don't think she'll be 1-9 if the other Chad stays in there but obviously still very short and I too was surprised to see it included in the Pick 6.

Probably 1/2 and 2/1, with the others 20+ (rightfully so. They can't win.)

blackthroatedwind 04-29-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ateamstupid (Post 1125313)

A short priced single helps handle in a Pick-6 and Pick-5 and possibly Pick-4 depending on the other legs.

blackthroatedwind 04-29-2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philcski (Post 1125314)
Probably 1/2 and 2/1, with the others 20+ (rightfully so. They can't win.)

I see that's around the ML but I will respectfully disagree. No way those two are that close. They are in different leagues unless somehow Newspaperofrecord forgot how to run.

philcski 04-30-2019 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind (Post 1125318)
I see that's around the ML but I will respectfully disagree. No way those two are that close. They are in different leagues unless somehow Newspaperofrecord forgot how to run.

I don’t disagree. My line would be 2/5 and 3/1... I’m just making a ML, with the notation their speed figures are pretty close and the betting public will focus on that. I’ll probably avoid the race as there’s some much more appealing races later.

-BT- 04-30-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind (Post 1125317)
A short priced single helps handle in a Pick-6 and Pick-5 and possibly Pick-4 depending on the other legs.

I know it helps the handle b/c everyone is under the impression that there is a free square, but the last couple of years i've actually been trying to ween myself away from Pk3-Pk4-Pk5, etc. wagers when there is a chalk like Newspaperofrecord to start the first leg. My mindset is that everyone will have the horse in some which way shape or form thereby creating more live tickets and pushing down the payout.

-bt-

moses 04-30-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -BT- (Post 1125339)
I know it helps the handle b/c everyone is under the impression that there is a free square, but the last couple of years i've actually been trying to ween myself away from Pk3-Pk4-Pk5, etc. wagers when there is a chalk like Newspaperofrecord to start the first leg. My mindset is that everyone will have the horse in some which way shape or form thereby creating more live tickets and pushing down the payout.

-bt-

That is sometimes the case. I like to look for other races in the sequence where I can separate from the pack, though that’s not always the case.

ateamstupid 04-30-2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind (Post 1125317)

Yeah, but usually in cases like these I'd think the objective is also to create a big carryover for the big day. Although with the $.20 minimum, that's pretty unlikely either way.

jms62 04-30-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -BT- (Post 1125339)

-bt-

I relish these opportunities... Will include the favorite with one or 2 long shots and if she doesn't fire you are competing for a LARGE Pick 3, 4, 5.... Horses are not machines...

-BT- 04-30-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jms62 (Post 1125364)
I relish these opportunities... Will include the favorite with one or 2 long shots and if she doesn't fire you are competing for a LARGE Pick 3, 4, 5.... Horses are not machines...

i agree with that logic about adding a few prices if the chalk runs up the track, but then where do you get skinny? At least for me, the whole point of singling is so i can cast a wider net in the remaining sequence.

-bt-

jms62 04-30-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -BT- (Post 1125367)
i agree with that logic about adding a few prices if the chalk runs up the track, but then where do you get skinny? At least for me, the whole point of singling is so i can cast a wider net in the remaining sequence.

-bt-

See that is what everyone is doing and leads you to a lot of chalky payouts and exits in situations that you want to be alive (Heavy Favorite Beat). Skinny for may be 2 deep in another leg where I really like a horse (usually not favorite). Or in the case of the Derby I may choose to make my Stand in the Derby and single there. Look at Pick 5 last year into Derby Favorite $620,827.65... You don't get a shot at a number like that when your single is an overwhelming odds on favorite... Now of course I will have a backup ticket where I might single that Odds on favorite along with my other "skinny" and get deeper in a race like the derby but that ticket will be much cheaper and basically it is a get out...

cakes44 04-30-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jms62 (Post 1125370)
See that is what everyone is doing and leads you to a lot of chalky payouts and exits in situations that you want to be alive (Heavy Favorite Beat). Skinny for may be 2 deep in another leg where I really like a horse (usually not favorite). Or in the case of the Derby I may choose to make my Stand in the Derby and single there. Look at Pick 5 last year into Derby Favorite $620,827.65... You don't get a shot at a number like that when your single is an overwhelming odds on favorite... Now of course I will have a backup ticket where I might single that Odds on favorite along with my other "skinny" and get deeper in a race like the derby but that ticket will be much cheaper and basically it is a get out...

That’s what I’m talking about. I’m not a horizontal guy in general, but this is good sh!t.

casp0555 05-01-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakes44 (Post 1125372)
That’s what I’m talking about. I’m not a horizontal guy in general, but this is good sh!t.

:tro::tro:

moses 05-01-2019 12:00 PM

Quote:

Holy cow. I didn’t remember the pick 5 being that large. Good old Funny Duck.

Anyway, good stuff. I love hearing stuff like this. I’ve been pretty good hitting Pick 3s but I struggle tremendously with the Pick 4 and 5...which I guess is sort of the point.

knickslions2 05-01-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -BT- (Post 1125367)

-bt-

I've been trying more often to go skinny with races I don't like the favorite. Like for the Oaks I really like Restless Rider and think Bellafina cant be beat here. I will either single that one or add Jaywalk but wont be covering Bellafina. Risk/reward

cakes44 05-01-2019 02:04 PM

I definitely think it's worth trying to beat Bellafina.

casp0555 05-01-2019 03:24 PM

Quote:

If Im reading between the lines correctly, I like your philosophy ;)

declansharbor 05-01-2019 05:05 PM

WOW — Reports on Twitter have Omaha Beach as OUT for the Kentucky Derby. Tough one for Mandella and connections! Ouch!