Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Paddock (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Belmont Park Egg Salad (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63795)

jnunan4759 01-26-2018 05:44 PM

Belmont Park Egg Salad

I remember years ago at Belmont Park and when I drove 3 1/2 hours to get there, the first thing I wanted was an Egg Salad Sandwich from the ladies up on the 2nd floor. They were so good. Think Harry Stevens was the concession. Those sandwiches were so good.

They were so good. On a Kaiser Roll, wrapped in Saran Wrap. but so good. Always made that morning. Think they were $2.

Back then you'd see cars on fire on the Belt Parkway. It was worriesome. I'd get to the track and have a beer, a shot and an Egg Salad Sandwich. Then I'd be in the wonderful world that is Belmont Park.

People don't appreciate how nice that place is. It's a grand place. If you haven't been there, go there.

Don't have the Egg Salad Sanwiches anymore, but still a great accomplishment in US racing. A 1 1/2 mile track.

Before they change it, go there. Go to Aqueduct too. I used to go to Hollywood Park a lot. I have great memories of that place. Aqueduct is a very nice place. I used to go there for the Derby preps and Wood every year. It is a brilliantly designed racetrack.

helicopter11 01-27-2018 04:28 PM

I never been to Belmont but I use to go to Hollywood Park a lot. I remember the corned beef sandwiches

robfla 01-27-2018 06:37 PM

Clam Chowder

sharp thread!

I miss Calder's clam chowder :tro:

Kasept 01-27-2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robfla (Post 1105412)
sharp thread!

I miss Calder's clam chowder :tro:

The famous racetrack Corned Beef's and Clam Chowders all had their origin with Harry M. Stevens concessionaire catering.

trackrat59 01-27-2018 07:46 PM

Yeah, I loved the Clam Chowder at Laurel. Great memories.

Real Quiet 01-27-2018 09:12 PM

Philadelphia Park back in the day had a Provolone Porky stand. Those were the days my friend.

OTM Al 01-29-2018 02:44 PM

The Jamaican food stand at Aqueduct was fantastic and my favorite track food. Got some curried goat with the peas and rice. Price was good too. And of course there was that guy that ran those really good BBQ stands at Saratoga. What was that sandwich in the last year that you had that Steve? Pot roast I think? That was damn tasty.

blackthroatedwind 01-29-2018 06:31 PM

The loss of the Jamaican Food stand is a shame at both Aqueduct and Belmont. The bigger loss at Belmont was over a decade ago when the French Food stand left. That place was awesome.

Alabama Stakes 01-29-2018 08:52 PM

No more Nathan’s fries at Saratoga. That stinks. No hand melons or tomatoes at the gate when you’re leaving either. The Suffolk Downs Chili is also in the wind. People brought it home for the best chili dogs ever .

trackrat59 01-30-2018 08:54 AM

Speaking of food at the track......

One thing for sure is, a hot dog always tastes better after you win a race. Funny how that works. :rolleyes:

Flatterer 01-30-2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTM Al (Post 1105488)
The Jamaican food stand at Aqueduct was fantastic and my favorite track food. Got some curried goat with the peas and rice. Price was good too. And of course there was that guy that ran those really good BBQ stands at Saratoga. What was that sandwich in the last year that you had that Steve? Pot roast I think? That was damn tasty.

One year on Traver’s Eve, I made Steve a real Philadelphia Cheesesteak with ribeye from a South Philly Italian butcher on a Sarcone’s roll with sauted white onion and fresh picked Kennett Square mushrooms. I think Steve started selling the Pot Roast sandwich after that!!

knickslions2 01-30-2018 10:09 AM

I can't think of anything better then breakfast at the silks bar in Tampa after a 30 pack the day before.

Kasept 01-30-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTM Al (Post 1105488)

:p

The Carolina Barbecue Pork was always the engine on the train, but we did have Pot Roast in Gravy (formerly Beef Brisket) the last 2 years which was a huge hit. The other non-BBQ items that were successfully introduced were the Chicago Italian Beef and Bobby Frankel's favorite, Montreal Smoked Meet (which gave rise to the Brisket/Pot Roast).

hoovesupsideyourhead 01-30-2018 01:17 PM

Miss The 'q' Every Year.

ne to socal 02-01-2018 09:21 PM

Every trip to Santa Anita involves an egg salad sandwich from the snack bar outside Sirona's. Cold diet Pepsi and chips.

Bogey 02-02-2018 04:43 AM

The Manhattan Clam Chowder was a must every visit to Calder.

Benny 02-02-2018 08:27 AM

Hatties fried chicken sandwich was a staple for me on restaurant row for me at the Spa . :)

MisterB 02-06-2018 01:40 PM

Pretty sure Charlotte Weber fell in love with the Pot Roast sandwich. I enjoyed the pulled pork with hot sauce.

Konk 02-07-2018 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogey (Post 1105555)
The Manhattan Clam Chowder was a must every visit to Calder.

The red chowder at Saratoga followed by a Carolina pork with hot sauce was the only double I ever hit there!

Alabama Stakes 02-07-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konk (Post 1105744)
The red chowder at Saratoga followed by a Carolina pork with hot sauce was the only double I ever hit there!

Been there, done that. Amazing that on a 94 degree day in August to start with red chowder and follow with more hot goodness is the plan, but it is.

The gumbo at fair grounds is really good too. I like the way the soups of the day is included with the program changes on the tv screens