PDA

View Full Version : The Barbaro Thread.

smartyalex
01-25-2007, 11:10 PM
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=37258

Cajungator26
01-26-2007, 08:39 AM
That doesn't sound very good to me...

My fingers are crossed. It sounds to me like he wants to live and I hope he gets the chance to do that.

Danzig
01-26-2007, 09:52 AM
That doesn't sound very good to me...

My fingers are crossed. It sounds to me like he wants to live and I hope he gets the chance to do that.

i think it sounded ok--was a planned procedure. just like they are planning another in two weeks. they are being proactive on all this.

randallscott35
01-27-2007, 08:18 PM
The latest article doesn't sound good at all.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=37294

smartyalex
01-27-2007, 08:30 PM
Just weeks ago it looked like he was gonna pull through......now things aren't looking good!

Kasept
01-28-2007, 08:40 AM

Work done on the right hind, the original injury.. Not good..

The Bid
01-28-2007, 08:45 AM
Not good, but not hopeless.

Hes really never been a favorite to survive this, even when he was doing "GOOD"

hoovesupsideyourhead
01-28-2007, 09:31 AM
how many times can you put a horse under gen anesthesia..and not do brain damage..

Echo Farm
01-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Update 1393: An update from New Bolton: Update from Dr. Dean W. Richardson on Barbaro's condition:

On Saturday, January 27, Barbaro was taken back to surgery because we could not keep him comfortable on his right hind foot. That foot developed a deep subsolar abscess secondary to bruising when he went through a period of discomfort on the left hind foot. It is not laminitis but the undermining of the sole and part of the lateral heel region are potentially just as serious. We attempted to manage the right hind foot in a cast and then in a custom fabricated brace but it was impossible to have access to the foot for treatment as well as acceptable stability and comfort. We elected to place his right hind in an external skeletal fixation device in order to provide the foot a chance to heal. This means that two steel pins have been placed transversely through his right hind cannon bone. These pins are connected to external sidebars that in turn are connected to a lightweight alloy foot plate. This results in the horse eliminating all weight bearing from the foot; the horse's weight is borne through the pins across his cannon bone. There is significant risk in this approach but we believed it was our only option given the worsening of the right hind foot problem. The major risk of the external skeletal fixation device is that the bone bearing the weight can fracture. Unfortunately, we felt we needed to take this risk because this approach offered our only hope of keeping Barbaro acceptably comfortable.

He had a perfect recovery from anesthesia and has been in and out of the sling since then. His left hind foot appears to be stable at this time. We remain concerned about both front feet. Remarkably, his attitude and appetite were excellent overnight.

We will continue to treat Barbaro aggressively as long as he remains bright, alert and eating. This is another significant setback that exemplifies how complex his medical situation remains because both hind limbs have major problems. Barbaro remains in the Intensive Care Unit of Penn's George D. Widener Hospital at New Bolton Center. Updates will be provided when new information is available.

http://www.timwoolleyracing.com/news/2007/01/barbaro_updates_180.php

This is sounding a lot more serious. I hope it will help.

paisjpq
01-28-2007, 10:10 AM
http://www.timwoolleyracing.com/news/2007/01/barbaro_updates_180.php

This is sounding a lot more serious. I hope it will help.
to me that sounds really bad...the fact that putting pins in the legs was seen as the only option is not a good thing...I've already said my piece on Barbaro but i hope that at some point they will reconsider this all out treatment approach and let the horse go.

randallscott35
01-28-2007, 10:56 AM
to me that sounds really bad...the fact that putting pins in the legs was seen as the only option is not a good thing...I've already said my piece on Barbaro but i hope that at some point they will reconsider this all out treatment approach and let the horse go.
I think they are coming to that sentiment based on quotes from this surgery.

txshorns02
01-28-2007, 12:09 PM
I was just watching ESPN news and they said barbaro isnt placing any weight on the leg that he shaddered in the Preakness...he had to pins put in his leg yesterday during surgery...anyone hear anythign about it?

http://drf.com/news/article/82196.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=2746149

Samarta
01-28-2007, 12:10 PM
The one thing that sticks out is the quote by Mrs. Jackson saying that he doesn't have one single thing that is enough to put him down but all of the issues in combination are really bad. She did go on to say that Dr. Richardson warned them about having times like this. But and I hate trying to read into someone's emotion in print, but to me it appears they are coming to a decision point on when he has had enough. Really tough to imagine.

packerbacker7964
01-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah but when is enough enough? I mean the poor guy has had more operations than you can count on one hand already. Limping around getting poked on all day long. Yeah look at him three years from now still getting around all limping and body sore the rest of his life. But hey he's still alive in his 10-12 stall. He's happy and he's eating they'll still say.

Danzig
01-28-2007, 01:17 PM
i think it's over. i really think this is the last thing they attempt.
i hate to sound fatalistic-but i don't see this horse being with us more than a day or two longer at the most. no weight on one leg means too much on the other and it can't handle it.

Suffolk Shippers
01-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Unfortunatley, I think this may be the end of the road for Barbaro. I pray otherwise and hope I am wrong, but it just seems like too much now. From the Dean Richardson update, and Jeanne Edwards describing Michael Matz as "sullen", it just sounds like this may be their last, best stand.

ManilaRose
01-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Things don't seem to be going well to me. Just one thing after another.

paisjpq
01-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Okay Everyone...this will be the Official Barbaro thread from here on out...I assume there will be daily updates and stories...please add them here without starting new threads about him every time a new one breaks. Thank you, B

wac
01-28-2007, 04:07 PM
I really dont know what to say here guys.....im just worn out emotionally with personal things in my life right now and this would be just another hit too me. I dont know who ive done wrong to have such a bad 2.5 years but i wish i could find out and make things right. Im starting to wonder if this is doing right by the horse i guess they say that he has a good attitude and is a fighter i'll just keep my fingers crossed and pray

stonegossard
01-28-2007, 04:38 PM
I don't understand posts like this. Millions of people are concerned and have been keeping "a watch" on Barbaro. The news doesn't sound good, thats for certain; but to make a joke out of it reaches beyond the pale. If you don't care--that's fine....got a suggestion---------DON'T READ THE UPDATES; there's plenty of other stuff here to read...and comment on.

I think he is just saying how ridiculous it is every single minute there is talk about this horse. Hey..I hope he comes out of this whole thing in good shape...but the coverage and what some people are saying about this whole situation is beyond ridiculous...on TVG a minute ago they said people were quoting the bible when talking about Barbaro....how he is a symbol of what is good in the world......puleeeeeeeeeze...he was an excellent horse who very unfortuenatly got hurt....people are saying they have never seen an attempt or recovery like this...why?...because 99 percent of horse owners don't want to put a horse through all of this....can you imagine all the drugs this horse has had in him? I am a huge fan of the sport and have been for a long time...but this whole sitaution is getting to be a bit much

Independent George
01-28-2007, 04:48 PM
I think he is just saying how ridiculous it is every single minute there is talk about this horse. Hey..I hope he comes out of this whole thing in good shape...but the coverage and what some people are saying about this whole situation is beyond ridiculous...on TVG a minute ago they said people were quoting the bible when talking about Barbaro....how he is a symbol of what is good in the world......puleeeeeeeeeze...he was an excellent horse who very unfortuenatly got hurt....people are saying they have never seen an attempt or recovery like this...why?...because 99 percent of horse owners don't want to put a horse through all of this....can you imagine all the drugs this horse has had in him? I am a huge fan of the sport and have been for a long time...but this whole sitaution is getting to be a bit much

And I stick by my original comment. If someone finds it offensive, or ridiculous that there are so many posts & concerns about Barbaro.......FINE. No one has a gun to your head to read them....I certainly don't read threads or topics that I don't think I'll find interesting; but for me to go onto every thread I thought was silly and express some divisive opinion would not be respecting the ideas of people who believed what they wrote or what the subject matter was, was worthy or didn't find someone who felt it interesting enough to reply to it. Personally, the forum is bigger than myself and there are people who like to talk about something I have no interest in (International Thread is one); however i don't go to that subforum and belittle the people there.

stonegossard
01-28-2007, 04:50 PM
And I stick by my original comment. If someone finds it offensive, or ridiculous that there are so many posts & concerns about Barbaro.......FINE. No one has a gun to your head to read them....I certainly don't read threads or topics that I don't think I'll find interesting; but for me to go onto every thread I thought was silly and express some divisive opinion would not be respecting the ideas of people who believed what they wrote or what the subject matter was, was worthy or didn't find someone who felt it interesting enough to reply to it. Personally, the forum is bigger than myself and there are people who like to talk about something I have no interest in (International Thread is one); however i don't go to that subforum and belittle the people there.

Again..I didnt see his post as belittling anyone.....he spoke his mind...

" No one has a gun to your head to read them"

So dont read his posts. Easy enough.

Sparky
01-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Still new to this forum, but I can't help but think they are literally torturing this poor animal to death. Someone needs to know when to let go (and let him go!). I have a whole lot better understanding now why they don't try to save more of these horribly injured athletes..........

Eileen Weston

prudery
01-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Still new to this forum, but I can't help but think they are literally torturing this poor animal to death. Someone needs to know when to let go (and let him go!). I have a whole lot better understanding now why they don't try to save more of these horribly injured athletes..........

Eileen Weston
I know not where you are getting your info and your " better understanding " from, but I suggest you empower yourself with factual info from the New Bolton website or the Tim Wooley website where current and factual reports from the horse's connections are detailed ... The entire Barbaro family has said repeatedly that the horse's attitude and comfort level determine any further procedures . When this is compromised by unmanagable pain, they will stop . Any injury has a recovery period that probably includes some kind of pain . A serious one, even more, and problems . The pain management protocol at New Bolton is highly sophisticated . Dr. Richardson has a far better knowledge of what is going on here than you, me, and every poster on the internet . Truly, this is a serious situation, but to cheapen the efforts and love for this horse with words like torture are really, too much . I am aware that there are folks out there that feel the horse should be put down, and some are well meaning . Many, in fact, can not stand their own stress over the situation. Let the experts judge and the owners . And the horse . The torture victim was having a peaceful dinner in comfort tonight while his owners watched . Think about it .

Buffymommy
01-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Honestly, I think the owners just want to try everything possible that they can for the horse. I think when the vets tell them there is nothing left they can do, then the owners will let go. I commend them for trying because yes, he has been given a lot of drugs. So much so that they have to know even if he does live, he may possibly be sterile from all the drugs. So I commend them for trying to save his life.

I will be honest, (AND I DON'T WANT IT TO HAPPEN) but I do think that within the next month (and I think it will be in the next few weeks) we are all going to get some bad news. And yes, I will be crying.

Cajungator26
01-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Unfortunatley, I think this may be the end of the road for Barbaro. I pray otherwise and hope I am wrong, but it just seems like too much now. From the Dean Richardson update, and Jeanne Edwards describing Michael Matz as "sullen", it just sounds like this may be their last, best stand.

Michael did not look good at all when Steve and I said hello to him at Gulfstream. :(

zippyneedsawin
01-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Just read an AP story that reported Dr. Richardson saying last night was "not a great night" for Barbaro. Very sad. I hope the news starts to get better soon.

paisjpq
01-29-2007, 09:35 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news;_ylt=AhHiTiJ12nKwnhWfxv119iU5nYcB?slug=ap-barbaro&prov=ap&type=lgns

zippyneedsawin
01-29-2007, 09:44 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news;_ylt=AhHiTiJ12nKwnhWfxv119iU5nYcB?slug=ap-barbaro&prov=ap&type=lgns

thanks for the link!

todko
01-29-2007, 10:21 AM
I really dont know what to say here guys.....im just worn out emotionally with personal things in my life right now and this would be just another hit too me. I dont know who ive done wrong to have such a bad 2.5 years but i wish i could find out and make things right. Im starting to wonder if this is doing right by the horse i guess they say that he has a good attitude and is a fighter i'll just keep my fingers crossed and pray

Cheer up wac. I feel your pain. The last 2.5 years for me have been ridiculously difficult also. Lost my father. Sister had divorce 2. House flooded.

Thought '07 was off to a good start until I came down with pneumonia last week :D .

You can't let things like Barbaro's situation get you down further. They're doing their best.

Any maybe the other horses have started calling for him from the big starting gate in the sky . . . Bid has loaded into the gate, Secretariat too, Citation is there . . . it will be quite a race. He was God's horse to begin with and he was just loaned to us for a short time . . . like they all are.

Echo Farm
01-29-2007, 10:33 AM
http://www.timwoolleyracing.com/news/2007/01/barbaro_updates_181.php

Jeannine Edwards will be on "Outside the Lines" at 3 pm today on ESPN. She will also be on ESPN News following that broadcast.

SniperSB23
01-29-2007, 11:23 AM
RIP Barbaro. They put him down this morning. :(

Echo Farm
01-29-2007, 11:33 AM
http://thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2007/January/29/Kentucky-Derby-winner-Barbaro-euthanized.aspx

Cajungator26
01-29-2007, 11:42 AM
RIP champ...

The Grandest Foal
I'll lend you for a little while,
My grandest foal, God said.
For you to love while he's alive,
And mourn for when he's dead.
It may be one or twenty years,
Or days or months, you see.
But will you, til I take him back,
Take care of him for me?
He'll bring his charms to gladden you
And should his stay be brief,
You'll have those treasured memories,
As solace for your grief.
I cannot promise he will stay,
Since all from earth return.
But there are lessons taught on earth
I want this foal to learn.
I've looked the wide world over
In my search for teachers true.
And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes,
With trust, I have selected you.
Now will you give him all your love?
Nor think the labor vain,
Nor hate me when I come
To take him back again?
I know you'll give him tenderness
And love will bloom each day.
And for the happiness you've known,
You will forever-grateful stay.
But should I come and call for him
Much sooner than you'd planned.
You'll brave the bitter grief that comes,
And maybe understand.

Author Unknown

skippy3481
01-29-2007, 03:17 PM
RIP barbaro, a fighter till the end,, it doesn't matter if you win or lose its how you ran the race. We had a rare horse, that not only won but ran a hell of a race.

The Bid
01-29-2007, 03:41 PM
I never realized he was an april foal

Danzig
01-29-2007, 03:44 PM
I never realized he was an april foal

april showers bring may flowers....how true it was.

The Bid
01-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Yeah really, I just never realized he was a later foal

Coach Pants
01-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Does anyone know how much insurance they had on him?

Danzig
01-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Does anyone know how much insurance they had on him?

not sure. i think i saw someone say 18 million--but where they got that i don't know. that was months ago...
but i think they'd rather have the horse.

i think they asked, but no answer yet, as to where he will be buried. anyone know?

Coach Pants
01-29-2007, 04:12 PM
not sure. i think i saw someone say 18 million--but where they got that i don't know. that was months ago...
but i think they'd rather have the horse.

i think they asked, but no answer yet, as to where he will be buried. anyone know?
Yeah i'm just trying to figure out how many $11 dd's it would take to be worth more than him.

Danzig
01-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Yeah i'm just trying to figure out how many $11 dd's it would take to be worth more than him.

um...lots. lots and lots.

sumitas
01-29-2007, 06:28 PM
RIP Barbaro. Thank you for blessing our world.

I just cannot fathom his #8 being worn by another horse in this year's derby.

disrespectnfool
01-30-2007, 02:12 PM
don't know if this has been posted, but this is very true.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070130/COL03/701300391/1078/COL02

WillSmith
01-30-2007, 03:12 PM
will miss you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KxFdR3OULA&mode=related&search=

pdrift1
03-07-2007, 04:14 PM
its march 7 barbaro and am thinking of you and miss you champ:(

Mortimer
04-09-2007, 09:16 PM
I would comment,but did not know him personally.