PDA

View Full Version : 1/14: Santa Anita ($170K Carry)

Kasept
01-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Santa Anita managed to produce yet another carryover for Sunday, and the card is pretty darn good. Saturday started great with a big hit in the Gulfstream 4th, and though the rest of the day was mediocre, there were just enough hits to float along.

Hard Spun and Notional got their sophomore campaigns off on the right foot with their LeComte and San Rafael wins; Awesome Gem caught Midnight Lute at the San Fernando thanks to a ridiculously early move by Victor Espinoza on the runner up; Maryland stewards took $40,000 and a 15th Laurel win from Mike Trombetta's Your Bluffing in the Native Dancer with a DQ that put Judith's Wild Rush up; and Kent Desormeaux continued his amazing knack for stakes success getting up with Bright Abundance in the Marshua's River...

Hope you did well...

SELECTIONS -- SANTA ANITA

.10 Superfectas in all but R8...

4th: Cal-bred MSW, 3yo, 1m (DD, P3, P6)

1. #1 Scotty Jones 5-1: Currin great 2nd out..
2. #3 Leesider 4-1: Showed speed last, stretches olut.. 2nd
A. #10 California Sky 8-1: 10 hole 0-10 routing so far meet..
B. #2 Stella Mark 3-1: O'Neill gelding passed late by stakes runner debuting WON

$1 Exacta $14.40

5th: CLM, 4+, 7f (DD, P3)

1. #3 Lahuna 9-2: 5yo clearly prefers SA to HOL; flies late.. WON
2. #4 Diamond Hondo 4-1: 2nd/break West rednut lost momentum rallying last.. 4th
A. #10 Midnite Moonshine 6-1: Lightly-raced 5yo from fave young trainer..
B. #11 Trendy 15-1: Lancelotti trainee 2nd off year plus vacation..

6th: MSW, 3yo-F, 6f (DD, P3, P4)

1. #3 Silver Swallow 5-2: Headley grey just missed debut, adds Lasix.. WON.. DQ'd, placed 3rd
2. #6 Jungle Girl 12-1: Hot Paddy returns Forest Camp gal who was OK in bow.. 4th
A. #9 Positively Charming 7-2: $600K Pulpit chased pair of next outs in 1st start..
B. #1e Polanco-Everest entry 8-1: Pair from wacky owner adds intrigue to great heat.. 2nd.. WON on DQ

$1 P3 (2/3/1) $299.20

7th: OC/N2X, 4+, 6.5-T/DHC (DD, P3)

1. #7 Kewen 8-1: Inviting price on 7yo Cerin gelding 7/2-2-1 on course.. 2nd
2. #6 Charmvictor 10-1: Gary Mandella 5yo tries downhill for 1st time; Gogo sticks..
A. #8 Taikun 4-1: McAnally Aussie import knows where wire is.. WON
B. #3 Hit It Skip 10-1: Skip Away 4yo get Mullins makeover..

$1 Exacta $14.40
$1 P3 (3/1/8) $387.70

8th: 43rd El Encino (Gr. II), 4yo-F, 8.5f (DD)

1. #2 Wonder Lady Anne L 8-5: Dutrow CCAO winner returns from 5 mo. off.. 3rd
2. #6 Cantabria 2-1: First of Frankel pair gets pace set-up..
3. #4 Sugar Shake 7-2: "Other" Frankel seems pressed to wire these.. WON

$1 P3 (1/8/4) $503.00

9th: MDN CLM, 3yo, 7f

1. #1 Seth High Low 9-2: Red from Jones may inherit lead, forget to stop.. WON
2. #5 Maj. Trouble 15-1: Harrington 3 of 7 adding goggles; Mig back on..
A. #2 Sobrino 7-2: Debuted this tricky trip and gets sprint plus pilot.. 2nd
B. #12 SCRATCHED BY STEWARDS..

LONGSHOT/EXOTICS ADD: #6 Yourekillinmelarry 12-1: Dangerous Lewis worked gelding long; debuts with Lasix..

$1 Exacta $12.90
$1 P3 (8-4-1) $144.30

<$200 P6 Play:

4: 1-3
5: 3-4-10
6: 3-9
7: 6-7
8: 2-6
9: 1-5

2x3x2x2x2x2 = 96 x $2 = $192

<$50 P4 Play:

6: 3
7: 3-6-7-8
8: 2-6
9: 1-2-4-5-6-12

1X4x2x6 = $48

Good luck!
Steve

golfer
01-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Interesting new avatar, Mr Byck.. you didn't think the DQ at Laurel was legit? I had JWR, so I wasn't exactly objective, but I agreed with the call.

Kasept
01-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Interesting new avatar, Mr Byck.. you didn't think the DQ at Laurel was legit? I had JWR, so I wasn't exactly objective, but I agreed with the call.
Figure the AOL-haters would enjoy the avatar...

I was just stunned about the Bluffing/JWR change because I watched the race, saw nothing that would indicate a DQ was in the offing and switched to a GP or FG race after they crossed the wire.. I went to look an hour later at the prices, and was amazed there was a change. I'll have to watch the replay later... I make no bones about being a Trombetta-backer, but I put Judith's on top in my selections and left Bluffing off, so I guess it's a wash as to having a dog in the hunt!

kenny p
01-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Im no expert but after watching the race 3 times I could no reason for taking the 6 down. KP

golfer
01-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Once again, as I said, I was not an objective observer, but... JWR was inching closer with every step, lost by a nostril.. when they showed the head-on, Your bluffing came out on him twice, the second time knocking him off-stride for a step, which was at least the difference in the finish.. I honestly believe Judith's Wild would have nosed in front at the line if not for the bump.

SCUDSBROTHER
01-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Steve Byk, what do you have against the hooked on speed filly(MORE THAN A LADY) in the 6th? She wins that last race if he doesn't tap on her.You can see her tail go up each time he did it.

rock1968
01-14-2007, 04:07 PM
1.25 mil pool... .schweet!!!

SCUDSBROTHER
01-14-2007, 05:14 PM
Steve Byk, what do you have against the hooked on speed filly(MORE THAN A LADY) in the 6th? She wins that last race if he doesn't tap on her.You can see her tail go up each time he did it.

Never mind.Didn't break...Didn't do anything at all...I hope your Swallow doesn't come down.

Kasept
01-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Never mind.Didn't break...Didn't do anything at all...I hope your Swallow doesn't come down.
Steve..

I get the felling they're more concerned with the rail incident right now..???

Sightseek
01-14-2007, 05:19 PM
1a moved up, Silver moved down...

SCUDSBROTHER
01-14-2007, 05:22 PM
3 year old fillies........I.Q. OF A GNAT..Sorry Byk.

Kasept
01-14-2007, 05:25 PM
3 year old fillies........I.Q. OF A GNAT..Sorry Byk.Un-flipping-real.. Rest of the P4 rolls from here folks so play what's up there in the 7-8-9 P3...

Scav
01-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Figure the AOL-haters would enjoy the avatar...

I was just stunned about the Bluffing/JWR change because I watched the race, saw nothing that would indicate a DQ was in the offing and switched to a GP or FG race after they crossed the wire.. I went to look an hour later at the prices, and was amazed there was a change. I'll have to watch the replay later... I make no bones about being a Trombetta-backer, but I put Judith's on top in my selections and left Bluffing off, so I guess it's a wash as to having a dog in the hunt!

Byky....

I was at the OTB and I was on tilt because of Tenfold. I put $200 on JWR and some guy went nuts because he had the 6 horse. Scav goes "Take it easy, he is getting DQed for drifting out", Crazy guy goes "They just took the picture, your screwed", Scav goes "You have $2 to WP?" Guy goes "Do you even have a ticket?".......Inquiry sign goes up and it was a GREAT Call by the stewards for Scav.

Scav
01-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Im no expert but after watching the race 3 times I could no reason for taking the 6 down. KP

KP, come on, how does he not get taken down? He knocked him repeatly AND then whacked him while Caraballo had his stick in his left hand.....lost by a nose......

golfer
01-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Scav, I didn't notice it during the stretch, but when they showed the head-on, I reached into my pile of losing tickets and took it out of there, I was fairly confident he had to come down.

Scav
01-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Scav, I didn't notice it during the stretch, but when they showed the head-on, I reached into my pile of losing tickets and took it out of there, I was fairly confident he had to come down.

I told the insane guy right after the race, the 6 drifted out like 4 paths, I didn't see the repeative bumping until the head-on...That led "THE COMEBACK" from the Tenfold debacle

Scav
01-14-2007, 05:33 PM
We need both WLA and Cantabria to run off the board, 28% on Canatbria and 12% on WLA

Already 20% out today from Alias Jones(16%), Sumthing(2%), Capitao(2%)

I had Backus

golfer
01-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Unfortunately, it did little else for me but prolong my rotten day. You talk about 2nd-itis!

SCUDSBROTHER
01-14-2007, 05:44 PM
We need both WLA and Cantabria to run off the board, 28% on Canatbria and 12% on WLA

Already 20% out today from Alias Jones(16%), Sumthing(2%), Capitao(2%)

I had Backus

You'll be lucky to get 1 of those 2 to run off the board.

rock1968
01-14-2007, 05:51 PM
which horse is down on the track?

hoovesupsideyourhead
01-14-2007, 05:54 PM
the last race will be dark.. first time headlights..notation :D :D in the drf..GE.

Kasept
01-14-2007, 05:56 PM
It was the 2 (Sweet N Salty) which was my guess because Garcia is off his 7th race mount and he was riding her...

SCUDSBROTHER
01-14-2007, 05:56 PM
which horse is down on the track?

SALTY QUITTER IS NOW UP.

rock1968
01-14-2007, 06:02 PM
the down side to racing via internet.. got to stare at the horses in the barn instead of seeing what was going on.....
At least the horse is up..

hoovesupsideyourhead
01-14-2007, 06:04 PM
forrest phantom at 7-1 is a gift...c nakakakakakkakatni..:cool:

DerbyCat
01-14-2007, 06:06 PM
SALTY QUITTER IS NOW UP.

Gee, I don't know - a first time maiden that races to the point of exhaustion isn't a quitter in my book... that's the kind of horse you put in your stable so you can know the next time that type of fighter races again.

Scav
01-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Gee, I don't know - a first time maiden that races to the point of exhaustion isn't a quitter in my book... that's the kind of horse you put in your stable so you can know the next time that type of fighter races again.

DC, Scuds is just ultra aggressive when it comes to these types of races. This is actually quite tame to his younger years

hoovesupsideyourhead
01-14-2007, 06:09 PM
forrest phantom at 7-1 is a gift...c nakakakakakkakatni..:cool:
nice break lol

DerbyCat
01-14-2007, 06:14 PM
DC, Scuds is just ultra aggressive when it comes to these types of races. This is actually quite tame to his younger years

Good to know, I'll make sure not to piss him off when I meet him, although it's nice to know that at this point in his life I'll just be maimed instead of killed :eek:

SCUDSBROTHER
01-14-2007, 06:16 PM

On a clear lead......She quit.......They have hook races for her at Los Al.

DerbyCat
01-14-2007, 06:20 PM
On a clear lead......She quit.......They have hook races for her at Los Al.

Dude, it's a frickin' maiden horse with some speed who burned out, happens all the time... did you lose some money or what?

SCUDSBROTHER
01-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Dude, it's a frickin' maiden horse with some speed who burned out, happens all the time... did you lose some money or what?

They should be in qualifiers, anyways.This is what happens when they let horses run with no intention of winning,and they are totally unfit.They want to race them into shape.If they had qualifiers,you may not have seen all that pathetic chaos in the stretch.LOOK at Byk's p6.People have a lot of money involved in these p6 tickets,and lose because of a stupid green 3 year old filly that bumps the sht out of another horse.Maybe if this was her 3rd race(not just the 2nd,) then he might still be alive.

hoovesupsideyourhead
01-14-2007, 06:35 PM
wonder bread lady ann pokey..lol

Scav
01-14-2007, 06:35 PM
You'll be lucky to get 1 of those 2 to run off the board.

50% get knocked out today, about 550 left. COMEDY

DerbyCat
01-14-2007, 06:40 PM
They should be in qualifiers, anyways.This is what happens when they let horses run with no intention of winning,and they are totally unfit.They want to race them into shape.If they had qualifiers,you may not have seen all that pathetic chaos in the stretch.LOOK at Byk's p6.People have a lot of money involved in these p6 tickets,and lose because of a stupid green 3 year old filly that bumps the sht out of another horse.Maybe if this was her 3rd race(not just the 2nd,) then he might still be alive.

I totally see your point and I understand, but horse racing isn't perfect and horses do stupid things because they're scared and not ready to handle what people make them do... It's just bad karma to rip on a scared horse and blame it for people losing money... let's just all hope Martin Garcia is ok...

Scudsbrother, I wish you the best, may you make big $$$$! :D

Rupert Pupkin
01-14-2007, 06:41 PM
I can't belive they bet that Frankel horse down to even-money in the 7th. These European horses with that kind of breeding rarely run well on the dirt. She won on the polytrack but that's a totally diferent deal. Plenty of grass horses run well on polytrack.

Unfortunately I was not able to take advantgae of the situation. I had the 2nd horse but not the winner.

SCUDSBROTHER
01-14-2007, 06:44 PM
LOL....Tell me something.Frankel says that Cantabria filly needs better footing than this.LOL...You can't tell that at all in the morning?? They don't even run them fast enough to tell them that?... Amazing..

Rupert Pupkin
01-14-2007, 06:56 PM
LOL....Tell me something.Frankel says that Cantabria filly needs better footing than this.LOL...You can't tell that at all in the morning?? They don't even run them fast enough to tell them that?... Amazing..

She hadn't worked at Santa Anita. She had only worked at Hollywood.

hoovesupsideyourhead
01-14-2007, 07:03 PM
boy if i had the 2 in the last alive id be pissed..

Sightseek
01-14-2007, 07:04 PM
I totally see your point and I understand, but horse racing isn't perfect and horses do stupid things because they're scared and not ready to handle what people make them do... It's just bad karma to rip on a scared horse and blame it for people losing money... let's just all hope Martin Garcia is ok...

Scudsbrother, I wish you the best, may you make big $$$$! :D

Amen! I don't care how much money people put in...it's called gambling for a reason and the welfare of everyone involved is much more important.

Garcia was taken to the medical center. Salty is back at the barn very tired.

Sightseek
01-14-2007, 07:05 PM
i've seen that trick before. 2 Frankel runners, one way overbet and the bigger price wins.

Got that a lot at Saratoga the earlier part of this summer with the Pletcher/J.V. & Pletcher/Gomez angle.

hoovesupsideyourhead
01-14-2007, 07:07 PM
decarlo last year at gulf..big time..

SCUDSBROTHER
01-14-2007, 07:20 PM
I can't belive they bet that Frankel horse down to even-money in the 7th. These European horses with that kind of breeding rarely run well on the dirt. She won on the polytrack but that's a totally diferent deal. Plenty of grass horses run well on polytrack.

Unfortunately I was not able to take advantgae of the situation. I had the 2nd horse but not the winner.

Well,I didn't bet her to win,but I think it is reasonable to think the smartest guy in the business would have known before hand whether she liked this track.It is not like this is Nick Hines "just taking a shot." I am just surprised that he used that excuse,because he should know whether she likes this track or not.The fact that he knew so quickly why she ran poorly shows me he did know that she didn't like it,and he ran her regardless..LOL..

Scav
01-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Well,I didn't bet her to win,but I think it is reasonable to think the smartest guy in the business would have known before hand whether she liked this track.It is not like this is Nick Hines "just taking a shot." I am just surprised that he used that excuse,because he should know whether she likes this track or not.The fact that he knew so quickly why she ran poorly shows me he did know that she didn't like it,and he ran her regardless..LOL..

Scuds, he wanted to pad the pocket, putting her in there to get a nice workout and knowing his other horse was doing well GOT HIM PAID and it kept him alive in the Showvivor

Rupert Pupkin
01-14-2007, 07:30 PM

I'm sure he knew there was a very good chance that she wouldn't like it. Horses with that breeding rarely run well on the dirt. I would say that it's less than 5% of the time that a horse with that kind of breeding runs well on the dirt.

This filly had never worked on the dirt at Santa Anita.