PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita Opening Day

Scav
12-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Couple of horses that might be playable. Scuds, I look for Flores to all of a sudden turn the light on and should ride lights out early on, probably just needed the break.

Race 2: #3 Unrequited - He has a sneaky turf sire in Not for Love, by Mr. Prospector. Bottom side has a little turf in him also. Valvadia is wonderful on the lawn and could be playable at decent odds

Race 5: #11 Into Reality - I think you might be able to squeeze decent odds out of this filly by Untuttable because of the 1 horse Coca Belle, who I consider a money burner. Into Reality is EXTREMELY playable in this spot.

Race 7: #12 Zann - Not a fan being so darn wide but this is the type of race that Flores wins for fun. Pretty wide open and if breaks a second slow he could get a decent trip

Favorites that I think will win tomorrow

Race 3: #2 Tenfold - Baffert Tiznow colt working extremely well and what should be short odds

Race 8: #2 Arson Squad - Headley has been waiting for Santa Anita and Solis jumps from Brother Derek, who EVERYONE is saying is going to have a huge year this coming year, to ride Arson Squad. When watching Arson Squad, you can see he is a horse that wants to win, very determined, I will but a horse like that 8 times out of 10

Scav
12-25-2006, 07:02 PM
I didn't know that Arson Squad is 9/2 ML. He is an auto play if he goes off anywhere near that. He will probably be 5/2

SCUDSBROTHER
12-25-2006, 07:34 PM
I didn't know that Arson Squad is 9/2 ML. He is an auto play if he goes off anywhere near that. He will probably be 5/2

Morning line is pretty far off for this OPENING DAY's card.

cal828
12-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Almost went with Arson too. His last two works were killers. Both he and Midnite look like they might enjoy the pace of this one. I think the 6 horse is gonna be the pace setter for as far as he can go which hopefully will be something short of 7 furlongs. It looks like it's gonna be a wicked fast pace.

Gander
12-26-2006, 08:37 AM
I think Arson Squad will have to run the race of his life to win. These horses he will have to beat today are better than Point Determined, Cause to Believe and AP Warrior. His last race was a gem from a number standpoint but he didnt beat all that much and who knows if the track was playing honest that day.

Latent Heat, Midnight Lute, Da Stoops and Brother Derek all look consistently faster than Arson Squad.

Thing that bothers me most is Arson Squad will be the biggest underlay in this field based on his great record at Santa Anita and off his last win.

Sure he can win, but this race came up way too tough for me to want a horse who shows just 1 race in his life that is fast enough to win this.

I dont doubt he will get a great trip just off the speed, but I doubt that will be enough. No thanks.

I'd probably use Latent Heat and Sailors Sunset in here but nothing totalling too much money. Sailors Sunset to me is the obvious value play. He is in career form and once again finds himself in a spot where he should be able to dictate the pace. Catch him to cash.

oracle80
12-26-2006, 08:45 AM
More guys than Headley saved their big guns or horses sitting on conditions for this meet.
I'd say one angle to give strong consideration to are first timers or layoff horses with a strong, consistent worktab. By this I mean a horse who shows a long string of uninterrupted workouts who looks as if he may have been ready a while ago.
Those horses have probably been pointed for this meet and will be fit with fresh legs. In addition most trainers will do MUCH better with hores who have been aimed for a specific spot or plan, rather than those who are just being run because its the only logical to place to run in the condition book.
It ought to be a great meet, and I think it will once again be the premier place to bet this winter on a day in day out basis.
Good luck!!

hoovesupsideyourhead
12-26-2006, 08:55 AM
and as allways look for the ones that didnt like the carpet..or were non contenders as far as video goes..looks good on paper..runs bad at holly..diff horse at sa..

eurobounce
12-26-2006, 09:25 AM
I think Arson Squad will have to run the race of his life to win. These horses he will have to beat today are better than Point Determined, Cause to Believe and AP Warrior. His last race was a gem from a number standpoint but he didnt beat all that much and who knows if the track was playing honest that day.

Latent Heat, Midnight Lute, Da Stoops and Brother Derek all look consistently faster than Arson Squad.

Thing that bothers me most is Arson Squad will be the biggest underlay in this field based on his great record at Santa Anita and off his last win.

Sure he can win, but this race came up way too tough for me to want a horse who shows just 1 race in his life that is fast enough to win this.

I dont doubt he will get a great trip just off the speed, but I doubt that will be enough. No thanks.

I'd probably use Latent Heat and Sailors Sunset in here but nothing totalling too much money. Sailors Sunset to me is the obvious value play. He is in career form and once again finds himself in a spot where he should be able to dictate the pace. Catch him to cash.Good luck with Sailors Sunset. In my opinion that horse wants no business of 7 furlongs.

Sightseek
12-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Race 7 - To Sender, Porto Santo & Get Funky

Race 8 - Midnight Lute, Brother Derek, Arson Squad

Race 9 - Darkness Night

eurobounce
12-26-2006, 09:30 AM
More guys than Headley saved their big guns or horses sitting on conditions for this meet.
I'd say one angle to give strong consideration to are first timers or layoff horses with a strong, consistent worktab. By this I mean a horse who shows a long string of uninterrupted workouts who looks as if he may have been ready a while ago.
Those horses have probably been pointed for this meet and will be fit with fresh legs. In addition most trainers will do MUCH better with hores who have been aimed for a specific spot or plan, rather than those who are just being run because its the only logical to place to run in the condition book.
It ought to be a great meet, and I think it will once again be the premier place to bet this winter on a day in day out basis.
Good luck!!Hey Oracle, I like your thought on this, but it also could be the opposite. What I mean is that a horse can be "too fresh." If a horse is too fresh then the horse could be ranked and get a little excited. But this is why handicapping is the greatest thing in the world.

Gander
12-26-2006, 09:39 AM
Good luck with Sailors Sunset. In my opinion that horse wants no business of 7 furlongs.

If this horse can make an easy enough lead and relax somewhere along the way, he can be very dangerous if the track is playing speed friendly which it often does, especially on opening day. If I recall, a major knock on Proud Tower Too last year was he was more of a 6F horse and there seemed to be way too much speed for him to wire the field. We all know how that ended up!

That said, I think this field is better than last year's and he is going to break perfect to win. I like the fact that speed types make their own racing luck. They arent dependent on other horses trips to win.

eurobounce
12-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Good luck with Sailors Sunset. In my opinion that horse wants no business of 7 furlongs.

If this horse can make an easy enough lead and relax somewhere along the way, he can be very dangerous if the track is playing speed friendly which it often does, especially on opening day. If I recall, a major knock on Proud Tower Too last year was he was more of a 6F horse and there seemed to be way too much speed for him to wire the field. We all know how that ended up!

That said, I think this field is better than last year's and he is going to break perfect to win. I like the fact that speed types make their own racing luck. They arent dependent on other horses trips to win.I agree with this, however there is no way a horse gets an easy lead in this race.

SniperSB23
12-26-2006, 12:07 PM
I like Porto Santo a lot in the Sir Beaufort. I played him over Kip Deville, Get Funky, Crested, and Zann. In Summation is a total play against.

In the Cal BC Stakes I really like Super Image on the cutback in distance. Hoping enough are scared off by his last to get higher than 4-1 on him. Tough race though with a few of the top contenders having only run on the cushion track. It seems too short for Pirates Deputy, I expect him to not crack the super.

Gander
12-26-2006, 12:47 PM
I like Crested a lot today. He hung around pretty good last time against Showing Up and I think he has another forward move in him (although he may not even need it to win this). Never raced on the Santa Anita turf but may be ideally situated saving all the ground. Look for him to make a huge move in the stretch, probably up the inside.

Sightseek
12-26-2006, 12:53 PM
To Sender scratched.

hoovesupsideyourhead
12-26-2006, 01:21 PM
the more i look at it..the 5 in race 7 could run big awesome gem....:D

TheSpyder
12-26-2006, 02:31 PM
I like the one, ran against Da Stoops and has won at course and distance.
Also, like the 11, Liver, just seems well placed off fast last race on the carpet.

Boxing the 1-4-11

SCUDSBROTHER
12-26-2006, 02:58 PM
I like the one, ran against Da Stoops and has won at course and distance.
Also, like the 11, Liver, just seems well placed off fast last race on the carpet.

Boxing the 1-4-11

Bet the 1 horse back. He looked like he was intimidated by being inside( just not interested in there.)Also,likes a pace to lay off of.He will win down the hill off a good pace,and a chance to swarm up on the outside.The hill is trip,and pace specific as it can get.Slow pace,and the 2 most consistent turf sprinters showed up.

hoovesupsideyourhead
12-26-2006, 03:30 PM
11-5-1 in the 4th ?..who ya like... sorry g..
1 smoken forrest
5 fantasmin
11 sixth street joe.........

Gander
12-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Can you degenrates use names rather than numbers? Some of us work and dont have programs in front of us ;)

hoovesupsideyourhead
12-26-2006, 03:46 PM
pick 6 play 1/5/7/11 with 1/11 with 1 with 1/5/7/14... my bad
with 5 with 3/7

SCUDSBROTHER
12-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Well,I got the double going to the Zucker 1st timer.Atleast this year I won't be watching him getting interviewed without having something on his horse.Horse probably won't run a step,but I refuse to let this man(with a 1st timer) beat me.

hoovesupsideyourhead
12-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Well,I got the double going to the Zucker 1st timer.Atleast this year I won't be watching him getting interviewed without having something on his horse.Horse probably won't run a step,but I refuse to let this man(with a 1st timer) beat me.
scuds do think the 11 has a shot in the 5th

SCUDSBROTHER
12-26-2006, 04:13 PM

Sure..why not?

SCUDSBROTHER
12-26-2006, 04:14 PM

Baffert said "she is alright."

hoovesupsideyourhead
12-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Sure..why not?
10/9 scares me.. and chop chop cant get 2 in a row..

SCUDSBROTHER
12-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Got the Headley n' Zucker(2 n' 3.)

SCUDSBROTHER
12-26-2006, 04:20 PM
damn it............2nd and 3rd..give me a knife......

hoovesupsideyourhead
12-26-2006, 04:22 PM
go go got busy on that one..

SCUDSBROTHER
12-26-2006, 04:25 PM
go go got busy on that one..

Sadler horses haven't gotten tired in months.I knew that f'n Zucker was coming with something.That Sadler is very tough to beat right now.

hoovesupsideyourhead
12-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Sadler horses haven't gotten tired in months.I knew that f'n Zucker was coming with something.That Sadler is very tough to beat right now.
common mig.....

TheSpyder
12-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Any Thoughts?

Gander
12-26-2006, 04:43 PM
I like Something Sonic to win the 6th. The Doug O'Neill charge should be in front at every pole.

Queen of the Catsle? Do you think they misspelled Castle on purpose?

Gander
12-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Well thats dumb. Just say Queen of the Cats. Geez.

TheSpyder
12-26-2006, 04:47 PM
You sure Super Image won't wire? I like him and the 8, Complexity on top with the 1,2,3,8, 10 on bottom. $1 exacta

Gander
12-26-2006, 04:48 PM
My buddy who owes me money from football just called from the rattrap OTB in Albany and has agreed to put $150 of the $250 he owes me on Something Sonic here to win. The other $100 will go on Sailors Sunset and Latent Heat in an exacta box. Good luck.

hoovesupsideyourhead
12-26-2006, 04:50 PM
late pick 4 1/8/9/7 with 1/7 /5 with 5 with 1/11

Gander
12-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Sonic Rat.

No not the 711 rattrap, the one in Latham actually. Jessica Stones I think its called. What a dump. I wouldnt feed that food to my dog.

hoovesupsideyourhead
12-26-2006, 04:57 PM
ride the horse midget....lol..baffert to gomez...............tosted my six and my 4...off the pace...

Gander
12-26-2006, 05:05 PM
I thought your 8 was a winner.

Gander
12-26-2006, 05:14 PM
I like Crested here a lot. Going down on this one. $100 win.

hoovesupsideyourhead
12-26-2006, 05:31 PM
the gem ran big..23 to 1 up for 2nd:D 17.20.. dutrow gets it done..easy ext..

SentToStud
12-26-2006, 05:34 PM
the more i look at it..the 5 in race 7 could run big awesome gem....:D

ran big at a big number. kip got the trip.

Gander
12-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Crested is a rat. Aaron Gryder stinks on anything but a horse with early speed going 6F. Blah.

hoovesupsideyourhead
12-26-2006, 05:37 PM
ran big at a big number. kip got the trip.
kip was soo boxed in on the turn......congrats to i.e.a.h..

SCUDSBROTHER
12-26-2006, 05:40 PM
I had written this day off,but am live to Arson Squad for a decent pick 3.Mig's horse wasn't on as many tickets as I thought.This is too tough a race to have just one horse,but it's better than no chance.

SentToStud
12-26-2006, 05:40 PM
kip was soo boxed in on the turn......congrats to i.e.a.h..

he was trapped. bullied his way thru. that was CLOSE for 2nd, great exacta. good one.

hoovesupsideyourhead
12-26-2006, 05:42 PM
he was trapped. bullied his way thru. that was CLOSE for 2nd, great exacta. good one.
too close ....but the gem is a nice one ..and good luck scuds..

Gander
12-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Good luck Scuds. If Sailors Sunset cant win I hope Arson Squad gets it done for you. Catch me to cash :D

Gander
12-26-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm amazed by some of the great overlaid prices in here with 10 min left to go:

Da Stoops- 23/1
Spring at Last- 25/1
I'm the Bird- 35/1

Midnight Lute- 5/2 (Way too low)

hoovesupsideyourhead
12-26-2006, 05:54 PM

Da Stoops- 23/1
Spring at Last- 25/1
I'm the Bird- 35/1

5/9 12..dats the ticket

SCUDSBROTHER
12-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Da Stoops is still way too big a #.That's obscene.

hoovesupsideyourhead
12-26-2006, 05:57 PM

Da Stoops- 23/1
Spring at Last- 25/1
I'm the Bird- 35/1

5/9 12..dats the ticket tha 9 is training well 70-1 under

SCUDSBROTHER
12-26-2006, 05:58 PM
WOW..They are making it a 3 horse race.I never thought that would happen.Way too big of odds in here on some.

SCUDSBROTHER
12-26-2006, 06:03 PM
How pathetic that ride was.Just hang them up,Alex.

Gander
12-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Sailors Mule. Gerbil's Sunset. Sun Rat.

Any will do. I'm fuming. Had the Sailors & the winner boxed and even a small backup ticket on Da Rat because of his huge 16/1 price.

Time to eat a pint of ice cream and drown in my own self pity. Tonight its Ben & Jerrys Sweet Cream & cookies, and if I'm still hungry after the pint is gone I have a dozen homeade choc chip cookies left over from yesterday.

Good luck to all in the last race. I dont want to watch another race until Saratoga.

TheSpyder
12-26-2006, 06:20 PM
I'm going with the 11, Smokegetenyoureyes. Unreal backform and either the horse is cooked or she's ready to go back her old form...and the price! BooYaa

oracle80
12-26-2006, 06:25 PM
That was Prado at his best. Almost always in the right spot, and usually has me ripping my tickets. Maybe Dixie had it.
Too bad he erased all his old posts, he stated this horse would win this race back in October in very strong terms, lol. Maybe he cashed today.

cal828
12-26-2006, 07:00 PM

Any will do. I'm fuming. Had the Sailors & the winner boxed and even a small backup ticket on Da Rat because of his huge 16/1 price.

Time to eat a pint of ice cream and drown in my own self pity. Tonight its Ben & Jerrys Sweet Cream & cookies, and if I'm still hungry after the pint is gone I have a dozen homeade choc chip cookies left over from yesterday.

Good luck to all in the last race. I dont want to watch another race until Saratoga.

We all pretty much ate dirt on that one and most of us discounted Latent Heat entirely. Kudos to you for recognizing that he was a contender. Also, I came home from the track and ate half of a pecan pie that I have been trying to resist since
before Christmas.

Gander
12-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks but that and $4 will get me another hand packed pint of Ben & Jerrys, which is precisely what I am going to do now. Should have gotten more, now I need to walk down the street again. I dont feel like cookies tonight, more ice cream is in order.

Sightseek
12-26-2006, 08:15 PM

Ohhh! You just reminded me that we have a pint of Funny Cide Pride in the freezer.......

Kip got lucky in my opinion when Bedlam Bertie decided to do the jig at the turn. It was either an awful ride on Brother Derek or Brother Derek really can't get comfortable going on the inside....I never saw the head-on view. I like that Pirates horse.