PDA

View Full Version : Kauto Star

brockguy
12-02-2006, 08:42 AM
A joy to watch... simply sensational!!

Hwjb
12-03-2006, 07:03 AM
Absolutely right Kev.

This is the best, most exciting horse I've ever seen, no question. It's almost impossible to envisage him getting beaten over any trip. I know it's too early to start saying such things, but I'm sure he's going to prove himself the best since Arkle. It would be great to see Well Chief return as good as ever so we can get a direct comparison with Moscow Flyer over 2m, but even evaluating purely on that would overlook the fact that Kauto will prove best over 3m.

repent
12-03-2006, 11:27 PM
can either of you give me a link to video of this.

been reading about this horse on sportinglife and racingpost.

Repent

saucon17
12-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Repent,
This might be video of Kauto Star

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azJgf3mhGPM

Mike

repent
12-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Repent,
This might be video of Kauto Star

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azJgf3mhGPM

Mike

thanks a ton Mike.

you guys are right.
outstanding racehorse.

Repent

saucon17
12-04-2006, 12:15 AM
Repent,

Kauto Star is an oustanding jumper and the ease he the won the Tingle
Creek was awesome.

It's amazing the amount of races and sports videos you can download from
youtube website.

Hwjb
12-04-2006, 07:44 AM
The Tingle Creek was amazing, beating last year's best 2m novice chaser without coming off the bridle. But his penultimate win was even better, in the Betfair Chase at Haydock (haven't got access to Youtube on work computer, but sure it'll be on there); there he beat last season's highest-rated chaser in Britain and Ireland Beef Or Salmon (who, himself had defeated Gold Cup winner War of Attrition on his previous outing) by 17 lengths, also without coming off the steel. That was over 3m, showing that he has the versatility of a true champion. His defeat is becoming increasingly hard to envisage.

brockguy
12-04-2006, 09:53 AM
He is defo the best chaser that I have ever seen (IMO better than Moscow)... He looks the complete article and he's only 6 rising 7....

Hwjb
12-23-2006, 09:23 AM
King George VI Chase, Kempton 2:20 on Boxing Day.

Widely regarded as second only to the Cheltenham Gold Cup in terms of prestige amongst the top conditions chases, the King George arguably rivals even the March showpiece in terms of the quality of performance it's taken to be successful. In recent years, Kicking King recorded an outstanding performance when defeating Azertyuiop in 2004 for the first of his two successes, better even than he showed in lifting the Gold Cup, and First Gold and See More Business ran to a higher level than seen at Cheltenham since Master Oats in 1995 when they took the Christmas showpiece in 2000 and 1999 respectively.

This time around, the ante-post market suggests it's all about one horse in KAUTO STAR, and on the evidence of his three runs so far this season he's going to prove incredibly hard to beat. Always held in high regard, and not just at the Ditcheat base of Paul Nicholls, the French-bred six-year-old has really come of age this season. He bettered any performance recorded in Britain and Ireland in the previous campaign when stepped up to two and a half miles at Aintree on his reappearance (without coming off the bridle), and confirmed that form when taking the Betfair Chase over three miles at Haydock the following month by a similarly wide margin from Beef Or Salmon (with a back-to-form OLLIE MAGERN well held in fourth). Success in the Tingle Creek Chase back at two miles earlier this month further highlighted his versatility and it's difficult to find a fault in his make-up. Jumping problems that saw him on the deck on two of his first five starts over fences seem well and truly behind him_he was very clever when getting in close a couple of times in the Tingle Creek_and he looks a very straightforward ride. He's eligible for the Betfair Million-Pound Bonus if able to add the King George and Gold Cup to his Haydock success, and providing he's in the same sort of form on Boxing Day it's difficult to see what will prevent him from lining up at Cheltenham with the first two legs in the bag.

Kauto Star's main rival in the ante-post market has long been MONET'S GARDEN, and it's not hard to see why. Timeform's leading novice chaser of 2005/6, when his only defeat came at the hands of Voy Por Ustedes (to whom he was conceding weight) in the Arkle at Cheltenham, he made a successful return at Carlisle in October despite looking on the burly side, making all and beating the the French-trained Mid Dancer by two and a half lengths. A high-class hurdler who's very much a chaser on looks, he's still lightly raced over fences after only five starts and remains with plenty of potential. His jumping will stand him in good stead and the return to three miles seems sure to suit, but there's no getting away from the fact that he'll be up against an outstanding opponent in Kauto Star, and odds of around 4/1 for him to make up the 18 lb deficit in Timeform ratings make little appeal.

The only other horse at single-figure odds at the time of writing is RACING DEMON, and he too looks to have plenty to find with Kauto Star. Like Monet's Garden, however, he is progressive and got right back on track on his latest start having been a disappointing favourite in the Arkle and then unseated in the early stages of the Haldon Gold Cup on his return. He's shown an increased tendency to jump to his right but that proved no barrier at all on the right-handed Huntingdon track in the Peterborough Chase, and he put up his best performance yet in defeating Thisthatandtother and Monkerhostin by four and five lengths respectively. The time of that race didn't compare well with either of the chases run over the same course and distance earlier on the card, and Thisthatandtother failed to advertise the form in a valuable handicap at Cheltenham though Racing Demon does still remain with some potential. The step up to three miles shouldn't be a problem on a track such as Kempton, and may even suit him, but he realistically has no better than place claims if Kauto Star in on his game.

There are a number of horses still quoted in the ante-post market at the time of writing but the majority would appear unlikely to run judged by recent reports and a field as small as six of seven certainly isn't out of the question. Of those that do look set to turn up, MONKERHOSTIN would make each-way appeal if one could be sure he's in the same sort of form as last season, when he was beaten only a neck by Kicking King in this corresponding event at Sandown. He had a busy time of it that campaign as he strived to land the Order of Merit, and looked to be feeling the effects by the spring. He looked well forward for his return behind Racing Demon but ran a rather flat race and doubts remain over how well he's recovered.

EXOTIC DANCER comes to the race with a progressive profile and it's not hard to see him doing better again. He's won valuable handicaps at Cheltenham on his last two starts, and looked to have a little in hand when defying a 10 lb rise to 149 when beating Knowhere by one and a half lengths in the boylesports.com on the latter occasion. Three miles at Kempton shouldn't be a problem for him though as things stand he still has around 10 lb to find with Monet's Garden and Racing Demon.

In conclusion, a small field could put pay to each-way betting and there seems no point whatsoever in opposing Kauto Star, who stands head and shoulders above the rest without having been put to his best. For those who are happy to get involved a short odds, 4/6 at the time of writing still looks good value and, baring mishap, we'll be very surprised if he doesn't win impressively.

my miss storm cat
12-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Kauto Star is brilliant but I'll be rooting for Monet's Garden as well..... :)

Come home safe, boys.

Hwjb
12-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Another astounding performance by the best horse I've ever seen.

Kauto Star has now won his past 4 starts by a combined 53 lengths, and here would have won with ease but for making fairly serious errors at 4 out and the last. He still won readily enough by 8 lengths from Exotic Dancer, who ran a big race in second and Racing Demon. Monet's Garden flopped, finishing sixth of the 7 finishers, having made much of the running. He had no answer once Kauto Star loomed up travelling with ridiculous ease before 4 out.

It would appear that the only way in which he can be beaten is if he doesn;t stay on his feet...and, it should be borne in mind that he will have to treat the fences at Cheltenham with more respect than he did those at Kempton yesterday. Nevertheless, at just 6 years of age, who looks set to dominate the sport for years to come. A really special, once in a lifetime horse.

brockguy
12-27-2006, 05:58 PM
another great performance from Kauto.. So good to see him destroy a proper field there on st. stephens day. The way he quickened up between the second last and last was brilliant making two quick horses look very slow .. However, if he jumps like he did there at Cheltenham in the Gold Cup, he will not win, and probably wont stay on his feet. It's great to see such a fantastic horse and I just hope he continues safe and well for the season... War Of Attrition and Beef Or Salmon tomorrow. Another cracker.. Tough one to call..

Cardus, Ill let someone with more knowledge than me try to answer that one..

Hwjb
12-28-2006, 03:32 AM
Well, Brock, I certainly couldn't profess to have more knowledge than you, but I'll have a stab!

First, jumpers are thoroughbreds, descended from the same lines as the stars of the Flat.
Age-wise, there are several things, I think that necessitate their being elder. Clearly speed isn't such a prerequisite over jumps, stamina is, and speed tends to be the first thing to go as a horse matures. On the other hand something they acquire is experience, a kind of canny intelligence. Again, there is no need for this when running over a mile in a straight line or round a couple of bends, but when knowing what to do at a fence, knowing to find a leg on the other side takes experience. Finally, I think, and I'm certainly no expert in this regard, but I would imagine that the immense pressures put on a horse's body would be far more liable to injure or kill if placed on an immature juvenile.
It's worth bearing in mind that around 50% of jump horses come from Flat racing, whereas half are bred by stallions with more stamina in their pedigree and go jumping straight away.

IMO, I would imagine that speed is the overriding reason, and it tends to be over the longer distances of 3m+, not 2m, that horses aged 11-13 still meet with success. Also, for Kauto Star to have reached his level of brilliance at 6 speaks volumes for his future - there are no limits to what he can achieve - and if he wins the Gold Cup in March, at 7, he will do so at the same age as the two three-time Gold Cup winners Best Mate (who won the first of his 3 in 2002) and the immortal, incomporable Arkle (1964-1966).

Unstable
12-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Kauto Star is undoubtably a very, very nice horse but to compare him to Arkle this early on is quite alarming. Kauto still has a long way to go to get anywhere near Dessie or Arkle (i know official ratings suggest otherwise) but its only a matter of time before he takes a crashing fall. He was lucky that Kempton was up and running, he wouldnt have stood up at many of the other tracks in this country, Kempton fences are not as firm as many, which allowed him to go right through it as you saw from the pictures.

I would still like to see what he does on quicker ground before i say he is a complete machine. The times he has encountered fast(er) ground he has fallen........ jumping at pace does get the better of him.

His Tingle Creek win impressed me the most out of his wins this year so far. The King George looked very good but im slightly concerned about what the form might amount to with the proximity of Exotic Dancer who had only ran in graded handicaps before boxing day. Monet's Garden didnt run his race and he is obviously better at 2 1/2 miles. In the Tingle Creek, Kauto showed he can jump well (his jumping at the railway fences was great) and they are very hard to jump at speed, and he showed a great change of gears too.

In the Betfair chase at Haydock he showed he stayed the 3miles but that was it. The horses he beat on that occasion were either passed their best or didnt perform (Beef Or Salmon, for whatever reason cant perform in England).

I cant see Kauto Star winning the Gold Cup the extra 2 1/2 furlongs around cheltenham is a big concern as well as the good or faster ground and the good gallop they go for such a race. He definitley is not value at the current odds.

As far as age goes for hurdlers and steeplechasers, in the UK a horse cannot run in a hurdle race until it is at leat 3, and most of the 'true' 'national hunt' bred horse dont enter the hurdles scene until four.

The youngest a horse can run in steeplechase races in the Uk is 4 but there are very few that actually do this (Paul Nicholls often does it though) most dont start steeplechasing until at least the age of 5 and usually not until 6 or 7.

In France it is different as three year olds can run in chases, i think.

Hwjb
12-29-2006, 03:30 AM
Of course, I'd never even suggest that he is on the same planet as Arkle - only Flyingbolt can claim to have been in the past 50 years - and I think we would need to see Kauto run in another handicap before elevating him towards those legends (his win at Aintree was achieved off what, in hindsight, was a very lenient mark of 167).
Rated on 184+, he is still rated 2 stone below Arkle with us, but just 3lb shy of Dessie and level with Moscow Flyer. Given that he is just 6 years of age I don't think its presumptious to imagine that he can become the greatest British-trained horse since the 1960s - its almost impossible to evaluate the likes of Golden Miller and Easter Hero when competition was lacking - which currently is Mill House on 191.

With regard his jumping at speed, you have to remember that he will have been travelling a lot quicker in a soft ground Tingle Creek - where his fencing was largely impressive - than he will do in a good/good-firm Gold Cup. In addition, at Cheltenham he will be held up off the pace, as at Haydock, which should similarly place less pressure on his jumping. Lets remember Arkle too made mistakes, but the sign of a great horse is being able to stand up in spite of them. I do, however, agree that he doesn't represent value at current odds for the Gold Cup - far from it!

Unstable
12-29-2006, 04:30 AM
As you say, i would like to see him run in a handicap to get a better idea of how good he REALLY is. But gone are the days now when very good horses go back into handicap company and cary over 12st, usually giving aleast a whole st at least to the rivals.

Although War Of Attrition hasnt had the best of seasons (well, thats if you jst see the form figures alone) he would still be my bet. He loves the better ground, stays well as we saw back in that very, very cold day in March......... and jumps like a stag. He hasnt had his ground this year so far.

Everyone was piling into The Listener after his emphatic win yesterday but he's just another Roselier that needs it heavier than the north sea.

Any ante post bets sorted for Cheltenham yet? Ive got a few but they are more like trading out bets for closer to the time.....i.e. Black Jack in the champion hurdle (still think theres a possibility).

Hwjb
12-29-2006, 06:00 AM
I've laid Black Jack for the World Hurdle at evens. Sure he has the best claims, and may well win, but that is far too short.

I've thrown a bit of cash at Denman at 250 for the Arkle. Hugely unlikely, I know, but will regain all money by lumping on him if he does go for the Sun Alliance...for all that I was taken with Cailin Ailinn yesterday.
Also in the Arkle I've layed Fair Along at 5/1, so would be good to see him getting turned over today - Victoria's Groom is an interesting runner at a huge price in the opener at Newbury.

Have also laid My Way de Solzen for the Ch Chase. They're a poor bunch of 2m chasers but at longer odds I'm siding with Newmill, plus there's a chance that Well Chief could be back, and if he's anywhere near his best, he wins.

Quite liked De Soto for the Supreme, and 13.5 seems like a decent price, toying with sticking a tenner on as we speak!

Unfortunately I backed Desert Quest after his Ascot romp at 12/1 for the Champ Hdl, which was stupid as he's now available at 30s!!

Unstable
12-29-2006, 06:11 AM
See, i quite think Fair Along is home and hosed for the Arkle, in a way i hope he gets beat today, because i want the price to push out a bit.

It wouldnt surprise me to see Denman in the Arkle, but im not quite so sure that he is as good as i imagined him to be.

An interesting one is Dom D'orgeval (spelling?) in the world hurdle. Pipe has got it now and i think it was David Johnson who paid stupid amounts for the horse, something like £200,000 or smething. I know many people that have backed it around the 100 mark (i think)

Ive made the silly decision of having an ante post bet in the bumper........ i dont know why i did it. Got that thing of Pipe's that won the listed bumper so easilly first time out the other week.

Acambo has been well supported for the Arkle but apparently hasnt been schooled yet............... as i say, 'apparently'.lol.

The Triumph is always one of my FAV races havingbacked the winner every year for the past 3 years. The horse that won in Ireland yesterday, the name expcapes me but begun with J looked very impressive but i dont think he beat much.

brockguy
12-29-2006, 11:15 AM
for anyone who wants to watch Kauto in the King George, they can here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25N_CO-vuss

and I think Jayo is the missing horse.. he beat an alright Weld horse and alot of shrewdies like him for the Triumph!

Unstable
12-29-2006, 04:06 PM
for anyone who wants to watch Kauto in the King George, they can here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25N_CO-vuss

and I think Jayo is the missing horse.. he beat an alright Weld horse and alot of shrewdies like him for the Triumph!

Yeah thats the fella, looked very good for a very cheeky win yesterday, would like to see what he finds off the bridle before having a bet though because you cant win a Triumph that easy

Hwjb
03-16-2007, 04:45 AM
The day has arrived. Kauto Star has the chance to take his place amongst the true greats of the sport.

NoChanceToDance
03-16-2007, 06:58 AM
Can't back him and can't lay him today. In my opinion people are foolish to back him at the prohibitive odds and people are even more foolish to lay him because he is a horse with an abundance of talent.

I'm not sure whether he will make it round (his jumping errors can't be ignored, and with the amount of 'bankers' falling so far this week..... its hard not to be worried) I'm also not convinced he will have the stamina to last out over the extended 3m2f today, especially when it still looks rather sticky and tacky ground at Cheltenham.

I will probably back State Of Play e/w, he comes into the race fresher than most and the form of the Hennesy was given a boost in the William Hill handicap on Tuesday with Juvignor carrying a big weight only just to be denied on the line.

Scurlogue Champ
03-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Badass.....

brockguy
03-18-2007, 03:16 PM
did it easy enough on Friday. perhaps not as impressive as his other wins this year, but he got the job done, jumped well and comfortably held exotic and turpin (who my bet at 10-1 to be placed on Betfair wasn't matched!!!).Onward and upwards I hope. I suppose if there is a bad omen, it is that the last three Gold Cup winners before KS (Best Mate, Kicking King and War of Attrition) never even made it back to try to defend their crown.. Let's hope he gets there next year in one piece, in the same form and ready for a mouthwatering race with him, Denman, Star de Mohaison and Neptune Collonges. Nicholls 1-2-3-4...

Hwjb
03-19-2007, 05:36 AM
Kauto Star has been the outstanding chaser of the season and it's fitting he should cap it with a success in the Gold Cup, bringing with it the £1m bonus from Betfair, having also won the Lancashire Chase and the King George, and certain success in the Order of Merit. In terms of form this ranks as one of his least outstanding performances of his 6-race unbeaten run though it will have gone a long way towards silencing his doubters, Kauto Star again jumping well until the final fence, whilst he put his stamp on a muddling race most impressively when manoeuvred wide off the home turn, holding the runner-up in briefly; his best form is only a little in front of fellow tip-top Gold Cup winners Kicking King and Master Oats and still short of Desert Orchid's, though he's barely been extended as he's won Grade 1s at trips ranging from 2m (beat Champion Chase winner Voy Por Ustedes) to 3¼m, and, with time still very much on his side, he's still likely to prove himself a truly exceptional talent if ever he faces one nearly as good.

brockguy
03-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Harry, would it be a concern to you that seeing he is french bred, he might have reached his peak already or is close to it.. horses like First Gold seemed to have the world at their feet at an early age but never quite built on that promise.. You also have the likes of Edredon Bleu who was still winning top races at 12, but considering KS was so good this year, can you see the possibility of him struggling to reach the same highs next year?? I certainly hope he is around for a long time to come. At 7, he could conceivably run in the next 3 Gold Cups as a major contender..

saucon17
03-19-2007, 09:53 AM
did it easy enough on Friday. perhaps not as impressive as his other wins this year, but he got the job done, jumped well and comfortably held exotic and turpin (who my bet at 10-1 to be placed on Betfair wasn't matched!!!).Onward and upwards I hope. I suppose if there is a bad omen, it is that the last three Gold Cup winners before KS (Best Mate, Kicking King and War of Attrition) never even made it back to try to defend their crown.. Let's hope he gets there next year in one piece, in the same form and ready for a mouthwatering race with him, Denman, Star de Mohaison and Neptune Collonges. Nicholls 1-2-3-4...

Do you know where I can get a video of his last race. They had on
TVG and I missed it

brockguy
03-19-2007, 10:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN_q5ZfHXLA&mode=related&search=

that has commentary in English at least...

saucon17
03-19-2007, 10:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN_q5ZfHXLA&mode=related&search=

that has commentary in English at least...

Thanks a lot for the great video, some great camera angles.
The last two fences were a little eventful with the loose
horse and not jumping cleanly over the last. Do you how big
was the crowd at Cheltenham? What's next for the great
Kauto Star.

Thanks Mike

brockguy
03-19-2007, 10:21 AM
around 60k each day for the festival.. feels like more... prob about an 85-15 ratio male/female.. The camera angles for the 4th and 3rd last are superb. They're are the ones where it just looks over the fence and slowly the jockeys come into shot, then the horses.. brilliant..

He wont run again this season, but he's had a hard season for a gold cup winner, 6 runs.. will come back next year, hopefully in the same form and have a similar campaign.

saucon17
03-19-2007, 10:27 AM
I wish there was more jump races here in the states. Every year I try
to go to the Hunt meetings in Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia

brockguy
03-19-2007, 10:29 AM
yeah, its strange.. I liked seeing the chasers (well hurdlers) in Saratoga when I was there and it certainly wasnt the most well recieved race that day, thatd for sure...