PDA

View Full Version : OTB behaviour

brockguy
06-11-2006, 07:48 PM
as a foreigner to the OTB scene, i found it very strange last year entering one for the first time. Everyone is generally friendly and easy to talk to and there is no end to tips from whatever the next race is on. I didn't mind the atmosphere, it was a bit like bookies back home. However, one thing was very very strange to me. the majority of players when the race started shouted for their number i.e. "come on 4! keep up there 4". I had never seen anything like it. I am used to either cheering the jockey or the horse, never ever the number. To me its seems like these guys wouldnt care what they were betting on as long as they could cheer a number.. Even when a top horse was racing (I remember there when Ashado destroyed the field by round 8L), it was still the same story of cheering the number rather than horse name or jockey. I know its a small point but as a fan of horses first and then handicapping i see it as somewhat odd!!

31lengths
06-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Very interesting. I've noticed that if it's a horse that I know well I'll say the name. If I am betting on a horse that I just 'capped and don't know well...I've caught myself calling the horse "baby" or "Brother".

Actually I noticed this about myself a couple of weeks ago.

Interesting topic.

chromer
06-11-2006, 08:21 PM
If I ever bet on a dog race I will always cheered for "Rusty" regardless of the names of the dogs. He was my pet when when I was a kid and it will make me feel good and better still confuse the people around me.

I never bet on a dog races though so as kent says, that's not my point.

They don't ask me the horses name when I place the bet. In fact they frown on it. So it isn't like I'm encouraged to memorize the name of the 16,000 claimer I think is the least worst in the field.

I think people that cheer at an OTB are showing signs of desperation anyway. Why are they so excited that their 3/5 shot is on the lead in the backstretch? My theory is that winners are quiet.

I'll quietly whisper to my friend's "what's that jackass think he's doing moving so soon?" but otherwise I'm like a teenage couple with the parents in the next room. So far as everyone around knows I'm still doing homework.

seconditis
06-11-2006, 09:20 PM
I totally here where you are coming from. I play at Great Lakes Downs, which is a OTB 99% of the time with a horse track attached and the same thing happens. I think it has to do with how many races these guys play a day. I would say a majority do not sit out a single race at whatever 1, 2, 3, or more tracks they are playing that day. That being said these guys don't even have enough time to look at the program.

Alternate theory: I know a ton of guys who just play the same numbers every day. Hence, they don't know the horse or the jockey just their numbers.

randallscott35
06-11-2006, 09:23 PM
The track can be a very depressing place with guys who are just there to throw their money away.

pgardn
06-11-2006, 09:25 PM
as a foreigner to the OTB scene, i found it very strange last year entering one for the first time. Everyone is generally friendly and easy to talk to and there is no end to tips from whatever the next race is on. I didn't mind the atmosphere, it was a bit like bookies back home. However, one thing was very very strange to me. the majority of players when the race started shouted for their number i.e. "come on 4! keep up there 4". I had never seen anything like it. I am used to either cheering the jockey or the horse, never ever the number. To me its seems like these guys wouldnt care what they were betting on as long as they could cheer a number.. Even when a top horse was racing (I remember there when Ashado destroyed the field by round 8L), it was still the same story of cheering the number rather than horse name or jockey. I know its a small point but as a fan of horses first and then handicapping i see it as somewhat odd!!

They bet so many races they have no idea what a horses name is. All they know is they got the 4 on top of a superfecta or as a part of a pik bet. Most of these guys have no idea who they have under the "four". Its a lottery for them. This behavior also makes it clear to me that people want you to know who they bet for. Which I also find curious. Kind of like if the 4 wins, one is supposed to honor their prowess. So I take the back non smoking section, and listen to all the finger clicking, "git up there 4, git up, git up, git up" from afar, where it is quiet. At large facilities one can generally find conditions to meet ones individual preferences.

ArlJim78
06-11-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm fascinated by the habits and behavior at the OTB.
What I have noticed is that when calling for the number guys will often say this, as in "come on with this eight". I think the numbers are preferred just because there are so many races at so many tracks, the names are secondary.

At the OTB where I go it is also rather common for guys to call for the jockey,
"let's go Johnny", " get him up Victor", etc.

seconditis
06-11-2006, 09:36 PM
I think it depends on the crowd. At GLD, you have one of the least informed crowds in the country. Some very nice people, but nobody has a clue. For instance, I talked to a guy the other day who is there every day betting very big money and he tells me he hasn't had a winning day in 3 months. You should accidently have one winning day.

pgardn
06-11-2006, 09:51 PM
I think it depends on the crowd. At GLD, you have one of the least informed crowds in the country. Some very nice people, but nobody has a clue. For instance, I talked to a guy the other day who is there every day betting very big money and he tells me he hasn't had a winning day in 3 months. You should accidently have one winning day.

This could be a very important source. Ask him who he does not like for each race.
Actually I must say, I find the whole atmosphere interesting, but a little unsettling. Most of the people around me are clearly regulars, as evertime I am there, they are also, so I am a fringe friend. Occasionally I get asked what I am writing down after a race. I reply I got to watch that one again, I need to see what happened. The general reply is why? the race is over. That makes me feel I am at the track simulcast facility for the wrong reason.

Suffolk Shippers
06-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Last summer I decided it was okay to indoctrinate the girlfriend into racing, so I took her up to Saratoga for a weekend. I didn't mind spending a while explaining how to bet and stuff like that. "We" played the early pick 4 that day to start and "we" were live to a single in the final leg. So, I explained that we HAD TO HAVE THE 7 win, otherwise, the first three wins were useless to us.

Well, we sat there as the race ran and she was like a fog horn wailing away for the 7 to come on home. "COME ON 7, COME ON!!!!!!! 7!!! COME ON!!!" She was so loud, and I just was looking at her and missing the finish. The 7 got up to collar the leader and we won.

I was like, "you are so loud" and she said she was just excited to win the money. Well, so was I, but the moral is, the guys screaming for the number are much like the girlfriend when it comes to the racing game. Pretty clueless. Those guys probably sit there and bet numbers all day and piss away their paychecks.

PeteMugg
06-11-2006, 10:06 PM
I think it's interesting how many will spot the horse that's making up ground at the top of the stretch. Next thing ya know, everyone in the place is cheering for that one. And they all act like they had the winner, but no one is cashing or buy beer for their buds. Sorry bunch of losers is what they all are.

ArlJim78
06-11-2006, 10:22 PM
LOL, there are so many funny ones. What about the guy that switches horses that he is calling for? When they're on the backstretch and turn it's "come on 5, stay up there 5". Then when the five gets passed by the 4 the same guy is suddenly now calling, " allright 4 / 5".

skippy3481
06-12-2006, 06:52 AM
No no, the absolute best is the guy who rolls up his track program(no not the drf, that costs like 2 bucks more) and absolutely beats himself with it trying to get his horse to hang on. I was there a couple of weeks ago, and this middle-aged man was destroying himself trying to get his 2-1 shot to stay up. Horse was obviously dead set the a stupid pace and down the stretch the jockey did everything but shove the whip up the horse and he was still backpedaling. Guy beats his leg until his horse crosses the line in 5th and looks over to me and says man if they could get this horse in a 5.5 furlong race, no one would be able to catch him. Just not much you can say to that.

miraja2
06-12-2006, 10:53 AM
I like the idea of some guy who bet on somebody like My Gallant or Sham at the '73 Belmont screaming "COME ON....CATCH THAT 2 HORSE!!"

Like most people here I don't cheer for my bets, and I never cheer for a number. I will however occasionally cheer for specific horses that I really like.
So basically if I bet on a $10,000 claimer I'm sitting there quietly. If I bet on one of my all time favorites (Sunday Silence, Megahertz etc) in a big race, I cheer them on by name.

Oh, and at the 2003 Belmont I was standing pretty close to the starting gate and I yelled "YOU SUCK EMPIRE MAKER" right at they were loading him. Didn't seem to do much good.

GPK
06-12-2006, 11:01 AM
My girlfriend saw me for the first time watching a horse race. We were at my place on Sat. for The Manhattan...lol.

When they made the turn for home, I jumped off the bed, screaming at the top of my lungs at English Channel....hitting my hips...snapping my fingers...2 feet from the tv....

When the race was over, she literally had this:eek: look on her face...It was all I could do to keep from laughing my ass off. I think I scared the poor woman. I am taking her to Colonial Downs this Saturday for opening weekend. She is actually excited...lol

31lengths
06-12-2006, 11:03 AM
My girlfriend saw me for the first time watching a horse race. We were at my place on Sat. for The Manhattan...lol.

When they made the turn for home, I jumped off the bed, screaming at the top of my lungs at English Channel....hitting my hips...snapping my fingers...2 feet from the tv....

When the race was over, she literally had this:eek: look on her face...It was all I could do to keep from laughing my ass off. I think I scared the poor woman. I am taking her to Colonial Downs this Saturday for opening weekend. She is actually excited...lol

LOLOLOL !!!! Too funny.

GPK
06-12-2006, 11:16 AM
LOLOLOL !!!! Too funny.

She was speechless for about 10 minutes...I swear I wish I could have taken a picture of her face. At least now she knows im passionate about horse racing:D

hoovesupsideyourhead
06-12-2006, 11:22 AM
steak and lobster and drinks 200 bucks. roses for the loved one 45 Bucks seeing the REAL GPK..............PRICELESS//LOL...:cool: :cool:

Gander
06-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Ahhh, how many relationships down the drain because of betting on horse racing. Lost track after about 7.

GPK
06-12-2006, 11:26 AM
steak and lobster and drinks 200 bucks. roses for the loved one 45 Bucks seeing the REAL GPK..............PRICELESS//LOL...:cool: :cool:

Some things money cant buy....lol

Im not like that with every race, on when EC is racing.

31lengths
06-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Some things money cant buy....lol

Im not like that with every race, on when EC is racing.

What woulda been really funny is if you were wearing nothing but underwear and socks....

seconditis
06-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Come on, you guys are forgetting about one of my favorite guys. I love the guy who is screaming for his horse coming down the stretch. He's going absolutely crazy trying to get his horse up for first and when he does finish first, I say congratulations or nice hit or you got it. What is the first thing this guy says, "Who got second?!, who got third?!, who got fourth?!, You tell him and he rips up his tickets.
You are cheering that loud and making an ass out of yourself for a horse to finish first and you still need 3 prayers behind him to cash?

brockguy
06-12-2006, 06:42 PM
nice replies guys, i certainly see that there are so many tracks and horses and jockeys to follow that the easiest thing to do is just scream out the number. I can get into a tendency to scream out "come on ya boyo" as well. As regards to guys seen in a bookies over here, my favs are the ones that blame the jockey no matter what happens. A horse could fall but it was the jocks fault for not holding on, or the horse is ridiculously slow but the jockey hasnt made enough effort, its always the jockeys fault.

Its easy to get lost in the moment and do stupid things especially when there is alot of money to be won (or lost), but doing every time sort of takes the fun and spontaneous element out of it. I remember at cheltenham hugging and kissing a woman beside me after hitting my 4th winner in a row and the last came in at 66-1!!

zippyneedsawin
06-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Come on, you guys are forgetting about one of my favorite guys. I love the guy who is screaming for his horse coming down the stretch. He's going absolutely crazy trying to get his horse up for first and when he does finish first, I say congratulations or nice hit or you got it. What is the first thing this guy says, "Who got second?!, who got third?!, who got fourth?!, You tell him and he rips up his tickets.
You are cheering that loud and making an ass out of yourself for a horse to finish first and you still need 3 prayers behind him to cash?

I think I know that guy!! LOL! ;)

whorstman
06-12-2006, 08:04 PM
If I ever bet on a dog race I will always cheered for "Rusty" regardless of the names of the dogs. He was my pet when when I was a kid and it will make me feel good and better still confuse the people around me.

I never bet on a dog races though so as kent says, that's not my point.

They don't ask me the horses name when I place the bet. In fact they frown on it. So it isn't like I'm encouraged to memorize the name of the 16,000 claimer I think is the least worst in the field.

I think people that cheer at an OTB are showing signs of desperation anyway. Why are they so excited that their 3/5 shot is on the lead in the backstretch? My theory is that winners are quiet.

I'll quietly whisper to my friend's "what's that jackass think he's doing moving so soon?" but otherwise I'm like a teenage couple with the parents in the next room. So far as everyone around knows I'm still doing homework.

That's awesome, I went to the dog track once a few years bak. Every time they ran, I cheered "GO BUSTER!". That was my boy when I was a kid.

jpops757
06-12-2006, 08:25 PM
There is this guy at LS simo pavilion that always is yelling come on "baby boy". Baby Boy runs every race.. I mostly yell for the jockey to make the horse go faster or make a better move. Nearly all of my urging comes in the form of using the jockeys name. Another funny result is confusing the 9 and 5 and also confusing the7 8 and 1 because of the closeness in colors.

Suffolk Shippers
06-12-2006, 08:35 PM

Qualifies as POST OF THE DAY for June 12. Reminded me of the time I was cheering home 60-1 longshot My Cousin Matt in the BC Sprint in 2004. I had him in my tri's and him hitting the board was a big pay day for me. I was at my girlfriends place absolutely going nuts, jumping off chairs and knocking down vases and such (im 6'2" 270lbs I do some damage jumping around).
She was petrified at my actions, but since I raked in $2800 for the tri, I said I'd take her out to dinner.

If she put out ;)

2Hot4TV
06-12-2006, 08:36 PM

I was in Las Vegas at a new hotel sports book and the place was almost empty on a Thursday afternoon. I placed a win bet in a maiden race and when they got to the 1/4 pole I knew I had some horse left for the run to the wire, so I started to my race track dance,,,,(it starts out at a normal voice level and ends up pretty loud). I start by telling the Jockey what to do,,,, Give him his head Chris,,,,, come on Chris,,,,,,, Thats it,,,,,,, Hit him Chris,,,,,, and a whole lot of comotion till they hit the wire and one big OH YA! Well when I went to cash the ticket the cashier looked at me and said "All that noise for a 10 Dollar win ticket?"

zippyneedsawin
06-12-2006, 08:40 PM

OK, I have to ask since no one else did... What were you doing watching horse racing from your BED!!!!!!!!!! ;)

randallscott35
06-12-2006, 08:45 PM
I actually bought a jockey whip signed by Johnny V. If its a big race and I'm home, I'm usually whipping the **** out the couch. Funny stuff.

ArlJim78
06-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Here is another one you've all seen. There are some guys either inexperienced or clueless but they just can't seem to be able to judge the finishing pace and momentum of horses coming to the wire. I'll hear someone calling a number very loudly, over and over, then I'll look for that horse to find out where it's at and its a hanging horse in fourth or fifth place with no shot to win. But the guy will keep screaming over and over as if this horse is likely to suddenly jump up into the photo.

When I'm near these guys I'll usually say something like "What race are you watching?"

31lengths
06-12-2006, 09:01 PM
I was in Las Vegas at a new hotel sports book and the place was almost empty on a Thursday afternoon. I placed a win bet in a maiden race and when they got to the 1/4 pole I knew I had some horse left for the run to the wire, so I started to my race track dance,,,,(it starts out at a normal voice level and ends up pretty loud). I start by telling the Jockey what to do,,,, Give him his head Chris,,,,, come on Chris,,,,,,, Thats it,,,,,,, Hit him Chris,,,,,, and a whole lot of comotion till they hit the wire and one big OH YA! Well when I went to cash the ticket the cashier looked at me and said "All that noise for a 10 Dollar win ticket?"

LOLOL....that is SO me ! the big player that I am (not).

seconditis
06-12-2006, 09:47 PM
ArlJim, I can't believer I forgot about those guys. I love them. I also like when their horse is passed by a couple horses coming down the stretch and they are yelling how he is going to come back.

My least favorite guy, the guy that knows the finish of every race 100%, but are wrong 100% of the time. These guys can see a 4 way dead heat and immediately tell you what the order was incorrectly. They also can tell me I'm wrong when I tell a buddy he lost or won because they saw it perfectly. I really like when they tell me it was the 9 that got up and it is a 8 horse field!!!!!!!!

Suffolk Shippers
06-13-2006, 06:05 AM
OK, I have to ask since no one else did... What were you doing watching horse racing from your BED!!!!!!!!!! ;)

An excellent question lol :cool:

GPK
06-13-2006, 07:34 AM

umm.....I plead the 5th:cool:

GPK
06-13-2006, 07:38 AM
We were talking about it again last night on the phone and laughing. I asked her how bad I scared her. I had to reassure her that I would not be acting in that manner this Sat. at Colonial Downs. I told her its not every day that English Channel races. I fainted and dropped the phone when she said "English WHo?"

This woman still has no idea what she has gotten herself into.:D

31lengths
06-13-2006, 08:29 AM
(wife) come on 4, come on 4.....come ON FOUR !!!!.....YES!!!!!!!
HONEY WE WON !!!WE WON!!!! Honey? Honey? You DID play the 4-5, right?

(honey) I thought you said the five - four....