PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Belmont Day

randallscott35
06-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Got there around 10:30. I read they had 61k. I can tell you it felt like 85k. I've been there when they've had well over a hundred and it seemed like and awful lot of people were there. Bit chilly mostly, but I don't know why, but it seemed like there was a frat party all day long. Drunks falling all over themselves. I've been there virtually every year for the past 7 and I can't remember it being that bad. I expect that at the Preakness, but not so much at the Belmont....

As for the racing. Pretty chalky save for the 12th all day long. Was able to catch the first winner which started me off right. Was down by the time the Manhatten rolled around and played a 50 exacta Cacique over Relaxed and Cacique over Silver Whistle. Had a bit of racing luck the way it worked out but sometimes that's what you need.

Played Sunriver across the board. Basically got my money back. Wasn't impressed with Bejarano's ride, felt he could've been second. Nearly hit the rail with the horse around the opening turn.

How about a Pick 4 consolation? Both Wonder Lady Anne, and Miraculous scratch putting me on the favorite who I didn't like. Hit the other 3 legs so that sucks.

How on earth does Bob N John go off the favorite in this race. Made no sense to me. He staggered home in the Wood, and in the Derby and suddenly he will relish 12 furlongs. Never underestimate the betting public.

hoovesupsideyourhead
06-11-2006, 04:11 PM
thanks for the update ..wish i could have been there...

randallscott35
06-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Stevie,

I looked for you. Went to the Caro stand and ended up saying hi to Barry, but couldn't find you.

Kasept
06-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Stevie,
I looked for you. Went to the Caro stand and ended up saying hi to Barry, but couldn't find you.

That's why god invented cell phones.

Spent a part of the day with Joey Bets (Ateam), part in the boxes, part with John and Pat's Party... Alan Benewitz was right by the seats where the Party was and I spent quite a bit of time with him too.. Fun day.

randallscott35
06-11-2006, 06:47 PM
That's why god invented cell phones. Spent a part of the day with Joey Bets (Ateam), part in the boxes, part with John and Pat's Party... Fun day.

Very true. Should've called.

BellamyRd.
06-11-2006, 07:22 PM
not to defend Bob and John
but if you look down the list
he was the only horse to win
a prep, The G1, Wood Memorial
prior to derby
BG Cat a distant second at CD, distant at Kee
Sunriver, winner of the Pan, but favorite?
The Woofer..third in derby, second in Ark
B & J was 18 3/4 back
Sacred Light 23 back
Deputy Glitters 40 3/4 back
now we are talking Baffert, winner if this race
Hofmans, a very good trainer
and Albertrani, who just won the Preakness
all that far back to a horse like Jazil
I'm going to go out on a limb and call this race the worst
G1 race in the history of thoroughbred racing

randallscott35
06-11-2006, 08:35 PM
not to defend Bob and John
but if you look down the list
he was the only horse to win
a prep, The G1, Wood Memorial
prior to derby
BG Cat a distant second at CD, distant at Kee
Sunriver, winner of the Pan, but favorite?
The Woofer..third in derby, second in Ark
B & J was 18 3/4 back
Sacred Light 23 back
Deputy Glitters 40 3/4 back
now we are talking Baffert, winner if this race
Hofmans, a very good trainer
and Albertrani, who just won the Preakness
all that far back to a horse like Jazil
I'm going to go out on a limb and call this race the worst
G1 race in the history of thoroughbred racing

I don't think this was a bad race at all. I just could only make a case for Sunriver, Steppen, and Jazil on the sheets, the only ones I played in a Pick 4....I was merely commenting on Bob N John being the favorite. What people saw in him for this spot, I will never know.

Scav
06-11-2006, 08:41 PM
They saw Baffert, Gomez, and what looked like a good trip coming. I didn't see it either....

randallscott35
06-11-2006, 09:24 PM
They saw Baffert, Gomez, and what looked like a good trip coming. I didn't see it either....

Scavs, how did you end up on the day?

pgardn
06-11-2006, 09:40 PM
My thoughts were far from the "big" race, but as I watched it while trying to contemplate basketball tasks and strategies, it was clear I was so dead wrong that I was thankful for being away from my gambling relatives. I got about 4 calls on my message machine asking who do I like, who do I like. My gut told me Sunriver, and I was sure if Jazil tried to stay anywhere close to the lead he would fry and die. Those messages were not returned.

As I was as wrong as a man can be, I am comforted that I was out of town. So I got that going for me. If any of the board was actually physically present I would now ask to BE SLAPPED UP SIDE THE HEAD. If the gut is what one actually uses in predicting an outcome of an event, I humbly ask to be eviscerated...

Utterly, and at the same time spectacularly,WRONG.

GenuineRisk
06-12-2006, 09:11 AM
I was down with the masses all day (well, I am one of the masses, so that figures) and had a lot of fun. Though, holy cow, someone should tell single women to take up horse racing to meet men-- the pick-up attempts started within 30 seconds of my getting to the train platform. Although most of the men are pretty skeevy-looking... so scratch that idea. My riding buddy and I were exhausted after fending off pick-up lines from drunk men all day long.

Lots and lots of people in their 20s and 30s there for the day.

Signed the Barbaro get well card.

Lessons learned by a novice handicapper-- 1) I can't bet the big races to save my life, because I get emotionally involved. Stay away from big races.

2) Don't look down on races where two heavily bet favorites are clearly the only ones with a shot to win-- it may not pay much, but it's as close to a sure thing as you'll ever get, and an exacta that pays 5-1 is still several times over a 100 percent return on your investment. I picked 4 exactas and 1 trifecta that day, but didn't bet on two of the exactas because it didn't seem worth it, and then felt like I should have bet them.

3)Don't ever again schedule a move on the same weekend as the Belmont. I didn't get to sit down with the form until midnight on Friday, went to bed at 3AM and got up just a few hours later to continue packing. Bleah.

4)Don't leave "Showgirls" on TV in the background while you're handicapping. Even when it's on VH1 and is edited down to about a 45-minute movie, it's still such a train wreck it's hard to look away.

5) Someone should tell VH1 that "Showgirls" is not a "Movie that Rocks."

I took a gazillion photos on my little digital camera-- I'll post some of the better ones once I have time-- we moved yesterday and I've got to find my make-up before an audition today! I have some nice ones of EC in the walking ring for Kev, and Buffy, I have some of B&J if you still want to see them... :)

And I was happy Jazil won (even though I didn't bet him) because I like it when the little guys win. See? Emotionally involved.

ateamstupid
06-12-2006, 09:16 AM
2) Don't look down on races where two heavily bet favorites are clearly the only ones with a shot to win-- it may not pay much, but it's as close to a sure thing as you'll ever get, and an exacta that pays 5-1 is still several times over a 100 percent return on your investment. I picked 4 exactas and 1 trifecta that day, but didn't bet on two of the exactas because it didn't seem worth it, and then felt like I should have bet them.

Ain't that the truth. Anybody with functioning eyeballs could've seen the Woody Stephens was a two-horse race, yet the exacta paid $15.80, which is almost 7-1 straight or almost 3-1 boxed. I should've cashed there.

Side note: Can anyone explain to me how TIGER WENT OFF AT 4-5?!?!?!

Kasept
06-12-2006, 09:34 AM

And how about Giant Basil (Zito 7% turf) going off the rather heavy choice in the feature Friday? That one was another bizarrity...

slotdirt
06-12-2006, 10:04 AM
I was up in the clubhouse area for most of the day, had seats both in the grandstand and the clubhouse. Randall was right, they said 61k, but it felt every bit as crushed as when there is 120k in that place.

Secretariat
06-12-2006, 10:15 AM
for the most part it was chalk city wasn't it ??

GenuineRisk
06-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Ain't that the truth. Anybody with functioning eyeballs could've seen the Woody Stephens was a two-horse race, yet the exacta paid $15.80, which is almost 7-1 straight or almost 3-1 boxed. I should've cashed there.

I did actually bet the Woody Stephens, but I was really annoyed with myself for skipping the third race, which I also thought was a 2-horse affair, and the exacta paid about $20.00. Oh well, live and learn.

boldruler
06-12-2006, 12:00 PM
I did actually bet the Woody Stephens, but I was really annoyed with myself for skipping the third race, which I also thought was a 2-horse affair, and the exacta paid about $20.00. Oh well, live and learn.

I had that exacta. Paid $21.40. Couldn't believe it paid that much. Too bad it was the only thing I had all day other than a $6 horse.

GenuineRisk
06-12-2006, 02:31 PM
I had that exacta. Paid $21.40. Couldn't believe it paid that much. Too bad it was the only thing I had all day other than a $6 horse.

Yeah, that's right-- $21.40. I got to the track ten minutes before that race and without having seen them in the paddock I didn't want to bet it. I was so irritated with myself afterwards.

disappearingdan_akaplaya
06-12-2006, 02:57 PM
well i made my bets early in the am but i wish i didnt after seein em on the track for the woody stephens, doc cheney was sore as fu**! im surprised they ran the horse like that

GenuineRisk
06-12-2006, 05:12 PM
well i made my bets early in the am but i wish i didnt after seein em on the track for the woody stephens, doc cheney was sore as fu**! im surprised they ran the horse like that

There was a horse in the last race the track handicapper thought was a sure thing in the DRF, but he was walking funny in the paddock. And he ran last. I can't remember if Doc Cheney was walking funny in the paddock, though.