PDA

View Full Version : Venue April 7???

DonGuido
04-03-2018, 10:35 PM
My first thought was Keenland but then there's Santa Anita with the SA Derby and Oaks??? Hmmmm. I'm mixed, but slightly leaning towards SA when I think of the impact races on Derby Day!

Thoughts? I have not looked at the entries in any of the key races yet?

JolyB
04-04-2018, 07:08 AM
Don, I don't envy you the task of choosing. Each of three venues has a lot of merit. The number of top stakes races on Saturday takes us close to horseplayer heaven.

I agree with you that most eyes will be on the Bolt/Justify matchup in the SA Derby, but the Blue Grass at KEE will let us ponder whether Good Magic might be as good on Derby Day as he was in the BC Juvie. Even the Wood at AQ will bring us a couple of Derby entrants, although it doesn't look as strong a prep as the other two.

A similar issue exists for preps for the KY Oaks. I'm sure some entrants will emerge from the SA Oaks, but the same could be said for the Ashland, and possibly even for the Gazelle.

An overflow field for the Blue Grass was drawn yesterday. I think that both the SA and the AQ cards will be drawn later today.

I know that it can create a lot of issues, including difficulties on scoring, but a case could be made for a blend of the top stakes races from Santa Anita, Keeneland and Aqueduct. That could let us work on top preps for both the Derby and the Oaks, and I didn't even mention the Carter and the Madison for older horses.

Just a couple of thoughts for you to consider. I'm glad that I finished dead last on Saturday and don't have to make a tough decision.:rolleyes: I'll be perfectly happy with whatever choice you make. With so many good races you just can't go wrong.

DonGuido
04-04-2018, 09:19 AM
Hmmmm, a lot of food for thought served up by The Professor. This student will just have to digest the plate and then go with what my wife Patty will propose, and after similar thoughts from JB she'll go with "whatever you decide Don". I'll have it by the end of today.

Real Quiet
04-04-2018, 10:43 AM
As an added note the 10 day forecast for both Keenland and Aqueduct show a good chance of rain and or snow in the 1 to 3 inch range. Keenland also forecasts rain for Friday.

RUFFIAN
04-04-2018, 10:46 AM
Based upon the weather report for both New York rain and snow
Kentucky rain and snow

Here are the options to Mews upon

1) ALL 3 YEAR OLD STAKES (Only) OF SA---AQU---KY

*** 2) ALL SA WITH BONUS WOOD, BLUEGRASS
I think this idea may be the better option based upon the weather reports :tro:

I spoke with the racing office at Keeneland yesterday and he said even with the snow
They would not cancel with the exception of lightning

PS:
I could live without the WOOD
But Not Without The Bluegrass

DonGuido
04-04-2018, 12:50 PM
If we are just doing a couple from two other tracks besides a main one, that gives us three tracks to track (done it before). But I'd rather do all stakes on three tracks as noted:

OPTION 1 - (10 races all stakes)
Aqua:
1. Carter
2. Gazelle
3. Wood

Keene:
4. Ashland
5. Commonwealth
6. Madison
7. Shakertown
8. Bulegrass

SA:
9. SA Derby
10. SA Oaks

or . . .

OPTION 2 - (12 races)
Keene: Races 1-10
SA Derby
SA Oaks

Comments? Plenilune, please chime in.

RUFFIAN
04-04-2018, 04:05 PM
Considering the weather forecast for Kentucky...
I would prefer ALL Santa Anita with a bonus of the BLUEGRASS :{>:

Rather than all of Kentucky plus the Santa Anita Derby and oaks

JMHO ;)

But if the choice is ONLY what Don posted....

I would opt for the second choice of Keeneland
and the Santa Anita Derby and Oaks

I think the weather in New York is going to be the worst of all
And I don't care as much for the races there

Plenilune
04-04-2018, 04:16 PM
I like option 1. ;)

If we are just doing a couple from two other tracks besides a main one, that gives us three tracks to track (done it before). But I'd rather do all stakes on three tracks as noted:

OPTION 1 - (10 races all stakes)
Aqua:
1. Carter
2. Gazelle
3. Wood

Keene:
4. Ashland
5. Commonwealth
6. Madison
7. Shakertown
8. Bulegrass

SA:
9. SA Derby
10. SA Oaks

or . . .

OPTION 2 - (12 races)
Keene: Races 1-10
SA Derby
SA Oaks

Comments? Plenilune, please chime in.

JolyB
04-04-2018, 06:17 PM
I like option 1. ;)

Me too.
JB

DonGuido
04-04-2018, 09:50 PM
Option 1 it is, since I was leaning that way also but didn't want it to drive Plen crazy when scoring. Nothing against you Ruffian for sure but I'll post the official threads tomorrow. Thanks folks for chiming in!!!:):):)

BTW, the race order for us could be interesting but I'll try and make is simple.

RUFFIAN
04-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Aqua:
1. Carter ===> R8: 4:44 PM EDT

2. Gazelle===> R6: *** 3:38 PM EDT ***

3. Wood