PDA

View Full Version : The 122 lbs beat English Channel

2Hot4TV
06-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Game effort on a turf that EC wasn't fond of. The extra weight is exactly why I bet # 4.

Scurlogue Champ
06-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Weight didn't beat him. Pace and position did.

And also: Cacique, Relaxed Gesture, and Grey Swallow had a hand in it.

2Hot4TV
06-10-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm old school and when they put over 121 on EC I had to take that in to consideration. For every pound over 121 in a race that is over 1 1/8 miles will slow a horses effort by approx one lenght. That one lenght cost him the race. His action and being outside the pace was the best position to win. I was surprised that Grey Swallow ran so well on a yeilding turf. I expected Cacique to run that even race down the lane to the wire. Game win. Thanks Prado!!!

GPK
06-10-2006, 05:14 PM
the turf had nothing to do with it...the weight had nothing to do with it. Plain and simple, he got beat by a better and smarter ride today. EC will NOT win when he is on the lead, I have said that before. He needs a target to run at turning for home. Today, he was Caciques target when they made the turn for home. It was a great race and a great stretch run....hands down the best race of the day.

EC is and always will be #1 in GPK's heart....

2Hot4TV
06-10-2006, 05:18 PM
the turf had nothing to do with it...the weight had nothing to do with it. Plain and simple, he got beat by a better and smarter ride today. EC will NOT win when he is on the lead, I have said that before. He needs a target to run at turning for home. Today, he was Caciques target when they made the turn for home. It was a great race and a great stretch run....hands down the best race of the day.

GPK weight will stop a TRAIN. Remember the formula. For every pound over 121 at 1 1/4 or longer will = 1 lenght. Look at the race at CD EC win by a half at 1 1/8. Add 1 1/4 with 122 he lost by a 1/2 lenght. Plain and simple.

Danzig
06-10-2006, 08:02 PM
english channel lost nothing in that defeat today. a great race by some fantastic turfers. that was a heckuva race.

i gotta find that thread where someone questioned prado being up on cacique....

DiscreetCat=Monster
06-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Johnny V. looks like he came back to fast, he can't raise his hand above his shoulders to get down and lay into his mounts. :mad:

Suffolk Shippers
06-10-2006, 08:49 PM
english channel lost nothing in that defeat today. a great race by some fantastic turfers. that was a heckuva race.

i gotta find that thread where someone questioned prado being up on cacique....

Agreed. Hell of a race for those turfers, really thought it would be all Relaxed Gesture on the yielding goings. That being said, Prado rode a great race on the winner.

Danzig
06-10-2006, 10:14 PM
edgar had several good rides on the day, just not in the belmont. but then, you gotta have a horse to ride too.

disappearingdan_akaplaya
06-10-2006, 10:59 PM
i am harsh on edgar at times but he rode a helluva race today, if anything did english channel in today it was edgars very heady ride. nice to see kev you can still be objective when your favorite horse doesnt triumph, but nothing to be ashamed of he ran another good 1 today

hoovesupsideyourhead
06-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Weight didn't beat him. Pace and position did.

And also: Cacique, Relaxed Gesture, and Grey Swallow had a hand in it.
agreed and the best horse...

Cunningham Racing
06-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Game effort on a turf that EC wasn't fond of. The extra weight is exactly why I bet # 4.

I disagree...I think he was beat fair and square by 3 pretty talented horses...Remember, without trouble on Derby day, Cacique beats English Channel IMO...

GPK
06-11-2006, 06:17 AM

I stand corrected. After watching the replay several times, he did have a tartget in Cacique to run at turning for home. EC was just not good enough to get it done today. It was very strange to see him so rank early on on the race. He is always so much more relaxed than that. Could have spent some energy early on. When he pulled even with him on the stretch run, I thought he had him, but Cacique had some left in the tank.

oracle80
06-11-2006, 07:03 AM
No, A superior horse did.