PDA

View Full Version : After Breeders Cup Break - No Contest next Sat . . . Comments, Ideas going forward

DonGuido
11-01-2015, 10:03 AM
So lets take a short breather after an historical Breeders Cup. My races of the day were Songbird, Runhappy all capped off by American Pharoah and his final race to end his phenomenal year and career. IMO arguable one of the best thoroughbreds of all time. 120 Beyer, getottaheeya . . . 2:00.07 for the classic distance, WHAT!!!! I could go on about him but I'll leave that to the "Experts" to judge and debate about his place in horse racing history and just how special he really was and is.

I would ask for any comments on the past racing/handicapping year and ideas and thoughts on the next year . . . of which all will be appreciated and any tweaks or new ideas will be taken under consideration by the so called "brain trust" of this forum being JB, RQ, Plenilune and myself.

I guess my main concern is that we have lost so many regular players . . . what are your thoughts on this and what can we do to bring'em back? What can we do to bring new players in?

Thanks to all of you for being who you are and keeping a spark for me to look forward to every weekend . . . :tro::):tro:

Plenilune
11-01-2015, 05:52 PM
I guess my main concern is that we have lost so many regular players . . . what are your thoughts on this and what can we do to bring'em back? What can we do to bring new players in?

Thanks to all of you for being who you are and keeping a spark for me to look forward to every weekend . . . :tro::):tro:

I also look forward to the contest and ROI each weekend. I have tried to bring new players on board but unfortunately I don't personally know many people who share our love for the sport. Most of my horse racing friends are here and on other forums.

I wish we could figure out how to offer prizes more often, especially if we could get something like DRF to offer a free year of PPs to the winner of one of our bigger racing days, etc. Maybe that would help?

Real Quiet
11-02-2015, 11:01 AM
As long as Plenilune is willing to score the points next year I will continue to score the ROI whether it be 8-10 or 15 players. It has made me a better handicapper even though I rarely win the points contest. And I like the people here. One thing I ask is that I be given a little more leeway in scoring the ROI. Too many times I have had to disqualify a player for a mistake which had no outcome on the contest. It bothers me to be so rigid on the rules when anyone can see the players intent. Cruzan got DQed this year along with a few others.and in the Breeders Cup there is a big DQ. Being over the limit is one thing. Making a wager that can't be deciphered with the naked eye is another. Betting races that aren't in the sequence is a dq. Forgetting a number should not be a DQ when you add the proper name. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

JolyB
11-02-2015, 11:31 AM
As long as Plenilune is willing to score the points next year I will continue to score the ROI whether it be 8-10 or 15 players. It has made me a better handicapper even though I rarely win the points contest. And I like the people here. One thing I ask is that I be given a little more leeway in scoring the ROI. Too many times I have had to disqualify a player for a mistake which had no outcome on the contest. It bothers me to be so rigid on the rules when anyone can see the players intent. Cruzan got DQed this year along with a few others.and in the Breeders Cup there is a big DQ. Being over the limit is one thing. Making a wager that can't be deciphered with the naked eye is another. Betting races that aren't in the sequence is a dq. Forgetting a number should not be a DQ when you add the proper name. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

RQ, you make a very valid point. It is my guess that the ROI rules were originally written to protect the scorer from having to make any guess as to the player's intent. That may be too rigid, especially in a game among friends with only bragging rights on the line. I would be in favor of giving you as scorer the discretion of accepting a wager as valid as long as you can clearly interpret the intent, even if it is not artfully written. I would draw the analogy of you as mutual clerk - could you punch out a ticket based on the information presented to you? If so, you should be able to accept it.

That's my opinion - I'd be interested in how others react.

DonGuido
11-02-2015, 11:58 AM
RQ, you make a very valid point. It is my guess that the ROI rules were originally written to protect the scorer from having to make any guess as to the player's intent. That may be too rigid, especially in a game among friends with only bragging rights on the line. I would be in favor of giving you as scorer the discretion of accepting a wager as valid as long as you can clearly interpret the intent, even if it is not artfully written. I would draw the analogy of you as mutual clerk - could you punch out a ticket based on the information presented to you? If so, you should be able to accept it.

That's my opinion - I'd be interested in how others react.I'm OK with that. RQ, you may need to PM a few but if that helps you, I'm all for it.:)

RUFFIAN
11-02-2015, 01:03 PM
(CAPS DUE TO VISION ISSUE: EASIER TO SEE ON IPAD= NOT SHOUTING)

IN MY OWN CONTESTS ON 2 OTHER FORUMS I HAVE ALWAYS HAD THE RULE
OF ===> NAME TRUMPS NUMBER IF POSTED WITH ORIGINAL ENTRY

HOWEVER, IT IS UP TO THAT PLAYER TO NOTIFY THE SCOREKEEPER OF
THE ERROR OF WRONG ## OR POST THE ERROR ON THE THREAD

IT IS NOT THE SCOREKEEPER'S RESPONSIBILITY TO CHECK EACH PLAYER
ENTRY TO SEE IF NAME MATCHES NUMBER

I TRY TO BE FLEXIBLE TO PROMOTE FUN AND NOT SO SERIOUS / RIGID
CONSIDERING NO REAL MONEY IS INVOLVED ~
JUST PRIZES I GIVE AT THE YEAR'S END FOR ALL DIVISIONS OF MY CONTESTS

I THINK THE ORIGINAL CREATION OF THE RULES HERE FROM LONG AGO
INTENDED THE ENTRY TO BE THE SAME AS AT AN ACTUAL TRACK

AT A TRACK THEY DON'T CARE IF YOU SAY THE WRONG NUMBER :p

IN A FUN CONTEST ON A FORUM WE DO CARE THAT THE PLAYER
GETS CREDIT FOR THE HORSE THEY REALLY WANTED --
NOT PENALIZED FOR A TYPO WHICH MOST OF US MAKE NOW AND THEN
OR IN MY CASE => A BLONDE MOMENT! :zz:

Real Quiet
11-02-2015, 01:47 PM
OMG............I agree with Ruffian......is the world coming to an end?

RUFFIAN
11-02-2015, 03:54 PM
RQ =====> :p
NO CATNIP FOR U BIG BOY!!! :eek:

DonGuido
11-02-2015, 04:05 PM
On another subject that's equally important or even more so, Ruffian . . . how many of our players can you ask to come over here and try this contest? How many do you think would? Heck I'll even b the extra catnip for you to send'em over for a try.

I had to ask . . . :eek::D

Thanks in advance for adding 5 or 6 players to our list.

BTW - I'm going to do all I can to convince LW to come back and see what going on with our more recent AWOL's.

Anyone else have chits you can call in with handicapping friends . . . go for it!!!

RUFFIAN
11-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Don
In the past I have mentioned your forum to several of my players
To check out

GDQH is one who actually did...and joined

A few others said they would check it out

"U can lead a player to a forum
But ya can't make em play!" ;)

DonGuido
11-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Don
In the past I have mentioned your forum to several of my players
To check out

GDQH is one who actually did...and joined

A few others said they would check it out

"U can lead a player to a forum
But ya can't make em play!" ;)Where'd she go?

RUFFIAN
11-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Can Tell U Privately Not On Public Board...
Email Or Call Me

DonGuido
11-04-2015, 09:56 PM
The rules for placing a bet have been changed as of today, noted in green under ROI Rules, which allows bets to be placed by calling out horses names and not numbers although the preference is the horses number.

Any other changes to be considered or new ideas can be posted here but we need to give them a deadline of midnight CST Sunday November 8, 2015. Enjoy the weekend off and we'll crank it up again on November 14, 2015.

Thank you and yas nose how much I luvs all yas!!!:D

Digger
11-05-2015, 01:59 PM
Digger will be back to play this season...thanks go to DJ for reaching out.

Roamin42
11-05-2015, 10:02 PM
DG, sorry for the abscents, RQ sent me a messege and I told him I had a different job and it includes Saturdays. But I will be here from now on, I will do my picks on Friday nites. Glad to start up again.cya, Roamin