PDA

View Full Version : Hickory my man

oracle80
06-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Hickory my homeboy from the Valley, where will you be watching the races today?

oracle80
06-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Hickory I'm heading out to the Falls next weekend. We have to hook up some time.

Hickory Hill Hoff
06-10-2006, 08:41 AM
I'll be at good ol' Fort Plain, wagering there and watching the races at my friend's BUZZ CLUB. We'll be doing a little handicapping contest and most likely drinking a few adult beverages! Good luck today!

oracle80
06-10-2006, 08:43 AM
I'll be at good ol' Fort Plain, wagering there and watching the races at my friend's BUZZ CLUB. We'll be doing a little handicapping contest and most likely drinking a few adult beverages! Good luck today!
LOL!!! Thats the parlor I always stop at on the way out to the Falls. Its the size of my bedroom, but the characters are true valley guys. Then I ease on up 5 after that. When I was like 4 years old I remember going to the old OTB that was next to the bowling alley with my grandfather!!! My relatives owned that Bowling alley, do you remember when it was there?

Hickory Hill Hoff
06-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Sounds good, I was up that way last weekend. Had a "big score" at the old Little Falls OTB on the hill in 1990. When they moved to the strip mall downtown, wagered there Travers day '93 when the machines went down at the F.P. branch. There was some sort of fire there a few year's later Kentucky Derby, then they closed. The new Herkimer branch is like a closet LOL!

oracle80
06-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Sounds good, I was up that way last weekend. Had a "big score" at the old Little Falls OTB on the hill in 1990. When they moved to the strip mall downtown, wagered there Travers day '93 when the machines went down at the F.P. branch. There was some sort of fire there a few year's later Kentucky Derby, then they closed. The new Herkimer branch is like a closet LOL!
Hick, that yellow funeral home across from the old LF OTB on the hill, was where I grew up every summer and all scholl vacations, that was my grandparents. I used to walk the 50 yards from the front door over to the parlor. Actually the closing of the LF Otb is a tale of bitter irony. The manager of the LF OTB for years was Tommy Hyla. He retired after 25 years. He went to the new place in the strip mall on Derby Day and pulled in front of the place, he hit the gas instead of the brake and put the car through the window. Miraculously noone was hurt. But the place wasn't doing much business and it gave OTB an excuse to close it. Tommy is like teh nicest guy in the world, but hes been forever cursed out since then, had he not bashed the place it would still be open, now we have to drive to Herkimer. How ironic is that? The only manager the place had for 25 years causes the closing of the parlor in town on Ky Derby day no less. I STILL am angry that there is no parlor there. Bastard.

Hickory Hill Hoff
06-10-2006, 08:53 AM
That OTB next to the bowling alley (Browns) was it Canajoharie? It reminded me of the old Herkimer one but smaller. It closed in the mid 80's

Hickory Hill Hoff
06-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Now, I remember...that was too bad, but Capital OTB has a "hard on" for all the small branches. They been trying to close F.P. that last few years.

oracle80
06-10-2006, 09:01 AM
That OTB next to the bowling alley (Browns) was it Canajoharie? It reminded me of the old Herkimer one but smaller. It closed in the mid 80's
That was it. My grandmother on my fathers side is a Brown. That was my grandmothers brother who owned the Bowling Alley there. Browns owned half the damn businesses around there. Cheapest people alive though, you couldn't get a Brown to spring for a pack of gum if they could walk 5 miles and get it for free!!! Obviously I didn't take after the Browns.