PDA

View Full Version : Brass Hat DQ appeal

Danzig
06-10-2006, 08:28 AM
scheduled for near the end of the month. i think bradley has a good case, but what are his chances that he gets BH's second place finish reinstated? i don't recall another instance in any of the world cup races of having a DQ....
i think the DQ here is completely ridiculous. why in the world would the track send out guidelines for the trainers to follow, but than the track doesn't follow it?!

oracle80
06-10-2006, 09:12 AM
scheduled for near the end of the month. i think bradley has a good case, but what are his chances that he gets BH's second place finish reinstated? i don't recall another instance in any of the world cup races of having a DQ....
i think the DQ here is completely ridiculous. why in the world would the track send out guidelines for the trainers to follow, but than the track doesn't follow it?!
Zieg,
Sheikh has a problem here. He wants that day to be a worldwide event and ceratinly wants US horses to ship there above all others. In recent years fewer and fewer US horses have shipped in and it certainly has diminished teh status of the event. So much so that he raised the purses above the already astronomical level they were at. Now you get a "postive" like that and cries from someone who was no crackpot that horses were tampered with in the last running. The Sheikh wants his horses to crush the best over there. Its not about money to him, think about it, hes the guy putting up the cash for purses in the first place!! When he wins all he gets back is 60% of the money that he put up. Its about showcasing his splendid track in teh desert and having his horses beat the best on a grand stage.
If US trainers and owners have to fear an unlevel playing field in addition to the dreaded Dubai bounce when they return, even fewer US horses of lesser quality will make the trip.
Wille Martinez is the guy whose most hurt here. I've heard that he already spent a great deal of the 120 grand he got(which is certainly understandable) and now he has to repay the money. Hes not a huge name rider and may not make that much the rest of the year. Thats hard. Imagine hitting a pik-6 for 120 grand, spending some of the money on a new car or home improvements or debts and being asked to pay it back a few months later. Ouch.
Don't be surprised if the Sheikh finds some way to allow them to get paid the purse money, even if he has to pay it. Its nothing to him and as far as his event goes, would be worth more than that in terms of the future of the event.

Danzig
06-10-2006, 11:31 AM
yeah, didn't even think about the jock being affected. that would most definitely suck. owner may have given a percentage to several involved in the horse, and how he'd be out....yikes!

well, here's hoping he wins the appeal. the whole deal stinks. to give guidelines, and then bust a guy for following what he was given. how ridiculous can that be??

paisjpq
06-10-2006, 01:02 PM
I have heard from a friend of the family that giving back that purse money does not leave them enough funds to enter him in the Breeder's Cup...whole thinkg sucks...