PDA

View Full Version : Venue: May 9th = Belmont Park

CRIMINAL TYPE
05-04-2015, 11:20 AM
I don't need any more time to know where to run next Saturday

Belmont Park --- Featuring

The Man O' War
The Ruffian H (The Horse Not 'Our' Ruffian)
The Tinker Bell - oooooops - Meant The Peter Pan :zz:
The Beaugay

What I don't get is why they named the Ruffian race
for 4 yr old + up when Ruffian died as a 3 yr old

Why not name a 3yr Filly race for her?
Wouldn't that make more sense?

JolyB
05-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Congrats of your Derby Day win, CT. You have picked a superb card for Saturday and it appears that the weather will cooperate for the turf races. Since you included the Ruffian Handicap, I have pasted in some facts about this race - I found this to be interesting and hope that others do too. (source is helloracefans.com)

1) The Ruffian Handicap is a race for fillies and mares 3-years-old and up run at Belmont Park in Elmont New York.

2) The race is relatively new in comparison with other important New York stakes races. It was run for the first time in 1976 and has been run every year with the exceptions of 2001 when the race was cancelled due to the September 11 attacks and 2012 when it was dropped from the NYRA stakes schedule.

3) The race is named for the filly Ruffian, who is frequently mentioned among the best female racers of all time. She won her first 10 starts but broke down in her final start, a match race with Foolish Pleasure at Belmont Park in 1975.

4) A former fixture during the fall championship meet at Belmont Park, the race moved to Saratoga in 2010. It was dropped from the schedule after losing its Grade 1 status in 2012. In 2013 it was run for the first time at Aqueduct as a Grade 2 stakes at one mile, and in 2014 it was moved back to Belmont Park.

5) Three-year-old fillies won seven of the first ten editions of the race’ those winners include Kentucky Derby winner Genuine Risk in 1980 and Lady’s Secret in 1985. The last 3-year-old to win the Ruffian came in 1997 (Tomisue’s Delight).

6) Five future Hall of Famers have won the Ruffian: Genuine Risk (1980), Lady’s Secret (1985-1986), Bayakoa (1989), Sky Beauty (1994), and Inside Information (1995).

7) Fourteen winners of the Ruffian have gone on to win Eclipse Awards at the end of the year. Six of the first eight winners (1976-1983) won an Eclipse. In the other two years in that eight-year span, the Eclipse winner for older female finished third in the Ruffian (Cascapedia in 1977 and Waya in 1979).

8) There has only been one dual winner of the Ruffian Handicap. Lady’s Secret won it in 1985 and 1986. In 1986, she carried 129 pounds and finished in a stakes record time for the 1 ⅛ miles distance.

9) The three South American-bred mares that have won the Ruffian are the only three winners not bred in North America: Bayakoa (Argentina, 1989), Riboletta (Brazil, 2000), and Wild Spirit (Chile, 2003).

10) Four jockeys have won the Ruffian four times: Jacinto Vasquez, Angel Cordero, Jr., Jerry Bailey, and John Velazquez. Vasquez was the jockey who rode Ruffian for nine of her eleven career starts. He won the first edition of the race about a year after Ruffian’s unfortunate end

RUFFIAN
05-06-2015, 08:02 PM
PETER PAN HAS FIVE HORSES! WTH? :zz: :confused: :eek:

ANYONE HAVE A CLUE WHY SO FEW?

DonGuido
05-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Congrats of your Derby Day win, CT. You have picked a superb card for Saturday and it appears that the weather will cooperate for the turf races. Since you included the Ruffian Handicap, I have pasted in some facts about this race - I found this to be interesting and hope that others do too. (source is helloracefans.com)

1) The Ruffian Handicap is a race for fillies and mares 3-years-old and up run at Belmont Park in Elmont New York.

2) The race is relatively new in comparison with other important New York stakes races. It was run for the first time in 1976 and has been run every year with the exceptions of 2001 when the race was cancelled due to the September 11 attacks and 2012 when it was dropped from the NYRA stakes schedule.

3) The race is named for the filly Ruffian, who is frequently mentioned among the best female racers of all time. She won her first 10 starts but broke down in her final start, a match race with Foolish Pleasure at Belmont Park in 1975.

4) A former fixture during the fall championship meet at Belmont Park, the race moved to Saratoga in 2010. It was dropped from the schedule after losing its Grade 1 status in 2012. In 2013 it was run for the first time at Aqueduct as a Grade 2 stakes at one mile, and in 2014 it was moved back to Belmont Park.

5) Three-year-old fillies won seven of the first ten editions of the race’ those winners include Kentucky Derby winner Genuine Risk in 1980 and Lady’s Secret in 1985. The last 3-year-old to win the Ruffian came in 1997 (Tomisue’s Delight).

6) Five future Hall of Famers have won the Ruffian: Genuine Risk (1980), Lady’s Secret (1985-1986), Bayakoa (1989), Sky Beauty (1994), and Inside Information (1995).

7) Fourteen winners of the Ruffian have gone on to win Eclipse Awards at the end of the year. Six of the first eight winners (1976-1983) won an Eclipse. In the other two years in that eight-year span, the Eclipse winner for older female finished third in the Ruffian (Cascapedia in 1977 and Waya in 1979).

8) There has only been one dual winner of the Ruffian Handicap. Lady’s Secret won it in 1985 and 1986. In 1986, she carried 129 pounds and finished in a stakes record time for the 1 ⅛ miles distance.

9) The three South American-bred mares that have won the Ruffian are the only three winners not bred in North America: Bayakoa (Argentina, 1989), Riboletta (Brazil, 2000), and Wild Spirit (Chile, 2003).

10) Four jockeys have won the Ruffian four times: Jacinto Vasquez, Angel Cordero, Jr., Jerry Bailey, and John Velazquez. Vasquez was the jockey who rode Ruffian for nine of her eleven career starts. He won the first edition of the race about a year after Ruffian’s unfortunate endI'm, glad you have Riboletta mentioned since Anet and I were so lucky to see here up close and personal in her wide open paddock, at Taylor Made Farm I believe, after running towards us at almost a full gallop with the help of a pat on the butt by our good friend Eduardo. I fed her grass along the shed row as a cricked my neck looking up at her . . . simply beautiful and one of my fondest memories. She just took my breath away standing next to me . . . so regal and towering over me . . . she was a specimen. Thanks for throwing me back JB. You notice I didn't mention Anet (unusual) because for those few minutes, I forgot she was there. Believe it not. :D

ElPrado
05-08-2015, 08:28 AM
Yeah. Only 5 entered.

Arletta
05-08-2015, 08:41 AM
Belmonts looking like Santa Anita with the short entries.

ElPrado
05-09-2015, 11:17 AM
If they sell most of the quality mares overseas, along with the quality stallions that go with them, the quality tracks run out of horses.