PDA

View Full Version : Gulstream Park Racing Cancelled . . . No card for today and

DonGuido
02-28-2015, 02:04 PM
Unless there is an objection, next weeks venue still remains with CT or I'll be happy to pick it and if I do, it won't be Gulfstream. :rolleyes:

Sorry folks but this happens . . . rarely, but it happens.

JolyB
02-28-2015, 02:21 PM
That's why we pay you those big bucks, Don - to make the tough calls like this one.

The track condition took me back to those days long ago when we would talk about watching the submarine races.:D

ElPrado
02-28-2015, 02:21 PM
If Miami looks like Tampa, I definitely don't blame them for cancelling.

Arletta
02-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Thank God! I was doing horrible!! :D

ElPrado
02-28-2015, 02:45 PM
I had a winner and 2/3 of a tri in 3 races. I pretty much had picked the ones with built in scuba gear.
I saw this coming on the local news last night. It's calmed down up here in Tampa, but that is the same system in Miami.
They actually evacuated the backstretch at GP.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-8tEC3VAAAd5IA.jpg

DonGuido
02-28-2015, 03:29 PM
Thank God! I was doing horrible!! :DDitto for most all of us!!!

DonGuido
02-28-2015, 03:31 PM
I had a winner and 2/3 of a tri in 3 races. I pretty much had picked the ones with built in scuba gear.
I saw this coming on the local news last night. It's calmed down up here in Tampa, but that is the same system in Miami.
They actually evacuated the backstretch at GP.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-8tEC3VAAAd5IA.jpgFunny I looked on the weather for Miami on my "trusty" phone weather app and it said nothing about rain . . . go figure:rolleyes::wf

DonGuido
02-28-2015, 03:32 PM
That's why we pay you those big bucks, Don - to make the tough calls like this one.

The track condition took me back to those days long ago when we would talk about watching the submarine races.:DYep . . . that and 5 bucks might get me a fancy coffee at Starbucks. :D

CRIMINAL TYPE
02-28-2015, 04:47 PM
I'm strongly considering Santa Anita for next week
Maybe a bonus of The Swale?

SA has a nice Stakes card next Saturday
Plus very small chance of Snow!

But Earthquake still a possibility :eek:

Will post final choice when SA / GP Cards are up

JolyB
02-28-2015, 06:19 PM
CT, if you are considering adding a bonus race to next week's contest, perhaps you could give some thought to either the Gotham from Aqueduct and/or the Tampa Bay Derby. Both are 50 point qualifying races on the road to the Derby, and a simo might dovetail nicely into the San Felipe on the Santa Anita card, also a 50 pointer.

Just a thought.

CRIMINAL TYPE
02-28-2015, 06:57 PM
JolyB

I had considered Gotham but the NE weather has caused so many cancellations lately that I figure better to wait to see what Mother Nature brings

yes the Tampa race also good option if the rain goes away soon
Per EP post - Tampa was really bad today

Thanks for the input

I will be checking weather and fields for Gotham - Tampa - Swale
but pretty sure SA will be main card

Real Quiet
02-28-2015, 09:37 PM
My only suggestion would be to not post a venue on a Monday. It can't hurt to wait until the entries come out and at least have a closer look at the weather forecast. I use http://www.equidaily.com/bestbet/weather.html It gives a 10 day forecast for each track and btw Gulfstreams calls for a chance of showers Thursday thru Monday next week.

CRIMINAL TYPE
02-28-2015, 10:35 PM
RQ
Good link for track weather - Thanks

I did say I was waiting to check weather and the cards for Gotham, Swale,
And Tampa before deciding

I also know that those 10 day ahead forecasts often change so what we see
Today may be better or worse by Wednesday or Thursday so be assured that I won't be posting on Monday :)

swedejxn
03-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Tuesday weather update....

20 % and 80 degrees in Florida
perfect at SA
AQ ok on the weekend but a foot and half of snow between now and then... LOL

Real Quiet
03-03-2015, 01:18 PM
I live within 30 miles of Aqueduct. If we get a foot and a half of snow by Saturday you better show up with a shovel !

CRIMINAL TYPE
03-03-2015, 01:41 PM
RQ / Swede

Actually was now leaning to doing AQU as main card
with maybe bonus of San Felipe - or Tampa and/or Swale

The future forecast had looked ok for AQU on Saturday
per that weather link -
but I had no knowledge about a foot of snow?

What do you think since you know area / track maintenance
and I don't -- about the odds of track ok for AQU Saturday?
Your input appreciated before we get another Cancellation

Will check the fields before deciding on any bonus race

Real Quiet
03-03-2015, 02:31 PM
Right now its starting to snow. Its supposed to change to rain and then change back to snow tomorrow. Only about 5 inches with Friday and Saturday mostly clear and cold. Should race at Aqueduct Saturday but there is going to be a lot of moisture between now and Thursday. Tough call.

CRIMINAL TYPE
03-03-2015, 02:45 PM
RQ
OK -- that sure cleared it all up :eek:
So if I go with AQU I'll end up either as the Villain or Hero

I do think AQU is probably the best card
but with no Crystal Balls -- It's a gamble

Maybe by Thursday all shall be made clearer?
And those living in or near the general area could post condition updates
To avoid another cancellation!

Thanks for the input! Very appreciated

swedejxn
03-04-2015, 10:37 AM
I got the foot and a half figure by adding all the maximum amounts for daytime forecast and nighttime forecast.... (2-4 inches plus 1-3 inches etc....) i figured that would be worst case scenario... LOL

JolyB
03-04-2015, 11:17 AM
I got the foot and a half figure by adding all the maximum amounts for daytime forecast and nighttime forecast.... (2-4 inches plus 1-3 inches etc....) i figured that would be worst case scenario... LOL

If I used that approach for all of the maximum amounts that the Weather Channel had predicted for my area this winter, the snow piles would be up to the second floor. They do have a tendency to overforecast.

We used to just have some snow. Now, every time there is any winter weather, it has to be on account of a named storm, with full team coverage.

Currently waiting for the second part of this storm. The first half brought very heavy slush and an icy crust. The back half may provide more snow, and it appears that there will be a greater accumulation of snow to the South of us (i.e. closer to the NY metro area). Should have moved out by Thursday morning.

swedejxn
03-04-2015, 12:10 PM
:) It's no surprise that weather forecasters make terrible handicappers. However I think most of the prognosticators around here would do a much better job at the NWS than the posers they currently employ. AND I know for a fact we could come up with better names for storms... Harlan's Hurricane or Seabiscuit's Fury work for me.

Plenilune
03-04-2015, 05:57 PM
CT, if you are considering adding a bonus race to next week's contest, perhaps you could give some thought to either the Gotham from Aqueduct and/or the Tampa Bay Derby. Both are 50 point qualifying races on the road to the Derby, and a simo might dovetail nicely into the San Felipe on the Santa Anita card, also a 50 pointer.

Just a thought.

Santa Anita has a super card including the SA Handicap. I think adding the Tampa Bay Derby would be great, more interesting than the Gotham.

CRIMINAL TYPE
03-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Plenilune:
"Santa Anita has a super card including the SA Handicap. I think adding the Tampa Bay Derby would be great, more interesting than the Gotham."

Funny you say that since I decided today on SA card plus a bonus race
But thought more players like/prefer Gotham over Tampa or Swale

Why do like Tampa better?

I dont personally care between the 3 but prefer to add the bonus
That more players prefer

Feedback welcome RE: Gotham - Tampa - Swale as Bonus?

Real Quiet
03-04-2015, 07:00 PM
My opinion. Just the Gotham.

JolyB
03-04-2015, 07:36 PM
CT, it's just my opinion, but I would only include one extra race, to give us an even dozen when coupled with that superb card at Santa Anita.

Of the choices you mentioned, I think that the Swale has the least interest - hard to believe that any serious Derby candidate would still be running 7 furlongs in March when so many qualifying points are available elsewhere (and might also lose Souper Colossal since he is cross entered in the Tampa Bay Derby and Rosario, his regular rider, is riding the Tampa card on Saturday). While good arguments can be made for both the Tampa Bay Derby and the Gotham, I personally think that the Gotham is a slightly more interesting race.

CRIMINAL TYPE
03-04-2015, 07:59 PM
JolyB

I was only adding one bonus
Just wasn't sure which of the 3
So asked for input of who prefers what

Plen liked Tampa
RQ liked Gotham
Etc

I don't care either way
Just have to decide on one

DonGuido
03-05-2015, 07:58 AM
JolyB

I was only adding one bonus
Just wasn't sure which of the 3
So asked for input of who prefers what

Plen liked Tampa
RQ liked Gotham
Etc

I don't care either way
Just have to decide on oneWhere we going. Sometimes too much info hurts. :rolleyes:;):)

CRIMINAL TYPE
03-05-2015, 11:13 AM
Don
Sorry for delay - partially due to what Ma Nature has been dishing out lately

Venue now posted

DonGuido
03-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Don
Sorry for delay - partially due to what Ma Nature has been dishing out lately

Venue now postedI understand. Ma Nature has played tricks on us here in the DFW area two ice/snow/sleet storms in the past 2 weeks. 4 inches here last night but it will be gone over the weekend and hopefully this is our last ugly taste of winter.