PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Proposed Rule Changes

DonGuido
11-29-2014, 08:03 AM
Not to drastic but having discussed these with several players on here, I would propose the following before we go too far into this year and please respond yes or no before end of the day Monday Dec 1. Other changes have been suggested but would either start compromising how we play or added little to the contests. Here they are:

1. In order to be in the running for being named the Years Winner of ROI Wagering you must have played the ROI contest a minimum of 26 times or weekends. This is not in a row but 26 throughout the year.

2. Revise the bonus points awards as follows applying to ROI and Points:

a. Repeat (back to back) winners + 20 points in lieu of 30
b. Threepeat winners +30 in lieu of 50
c. Fourpeat (and we almost had one last year) also +30, and so on all +30 after 3 in a row

Sweeps stay the same +20.

That's it and all else ain't broken so why fix it.

If you have an opinion or a simple yes or a no, let me know.

Thanks,
DG

Real Quiet
11-29-2014, 08:17 AM
I would like to put up for discussion a change in the way points are awarded for first to fourth in the points and ROI. Keep the total points awarded at 26 in each contest so as not to impact past years totals but instead of 8-7-6-5 award more points for first and second. Maybe the distribution could be more like 10-7-5-4. Winning should be worth more than a one point advantage. Just a thought before we get too far in the season. It would also give players in the rear more of a chance to move into the Gallivan top ten.

DonGuido
11-29-2014, 08:30 AM
I would like to put up for discussion a change in the way points are awarded for first to fourth in the points and ROI. Keep the total points awarded at 26 in each contest so as not to impact past years totals but instead of 8-7-6-5 award more points for first and second. Maybe the distribution could be more like 10-7-5-4. Winning should be worth more than a one point advantage. Just a thought before we get too far in the season. It would also give players in the rear more of a chance to move into the Gallivan top ten.I kinda like that and we could add bonus points for each points contest for any player that:

1. Beats the field by 20-29 plus points gets 5 bonus point added
2. Crushes the field by 30 plus points or more gets 10 bonus points

Most of our winners win by less than 20 points but both of these happen and those that do should be awarded for their weekly outstanding efforts or are we getting too complicated here?

Arletta
11-29-2014, 08:53 AM
I like that idea... Reward more for the wins and a lot more if you beat the field by more than 20 points.

DonGuido
11-29-2014, 09:30 AM
I would also propose that whatever the consensus is end of the day Monday that these changes be retroactive to the first of this handicapping year and I will go back and make adjustments to the points totals and scores.

Yes?

No?

JolyB
11-29-2014, 09:44 AM
There's nothing wrong with any of the suggestions that have been made; I especially like RQ's idea of making a win a bit more valuable.

But, I think I need to be a bit of a contrarian at this point. At this moment we are less than 1 and 1/2 hours away from post time for our contests on a major race day with several key races on the card. Yet we only have 7 players entered in our points contest. By making small changes to the way our annual points are computed, are we doing anything more than moving the deck chairs on the Titanic? While the points are important in determining who will be in the top 10 and thereby be eligible to compete for the Gallivan Cup, I'm more than a little worried that we may only have 10 or so players even in competition. What exactly are we going to accomplish by any of these otherwise sensible changes?

Real Quiet
11-29-2014, 09:50 AM
Point taken Joly but it is Thanksgiving weekend and we may have to cut players a certain amount of slack. Normally we have 12 to 14 players a week and this week might be an exception.

DonGuido
11-29-2014, 09:54 AM
There's nothing wrong with any of the suggestions that have been made; I especially like RQ's idea of making a win a bit more valuable.

But, I think I need to be a bit of a contrarian at this point. At this moment we are less than 1 and 1/2 hours away from post time for our contests on a major race day with several key races on the card. Yet we only have 7 players entered in our points contest. By making small changes to the way our annual points are computed, are we doing anything more than moving the deck chairs on the Titanic? While the points are important in determining who will be in the top 10 and thereby be eligible to compete for the Gallivan Cup, I'm more than a little worried that we may only have 10 or so players even in competition. What exactly are we going to accomplish by any of these otherwise sensible changes?Well I know you are not (excuse me) poo-pooing on the suggestions, but it is a Holiday weekend and people are out spending money, putting up Christmas decorations, recovering from the past two Holiday days or doing other family stuff. It's early in the season on a new forum site and sometimes the view and the angle of the sun makes the trip better on the deck by moving the chairs just a little here or there. I'm not too concerned about the lack or play this weekend or the start off overall . . . time will tell though.

Sorry, RQ beat to a couple of points but I can go on can't I?

Real Quiet
11-29-2014, 09:54 AM
I myself do an exceptional amount of traveling on Thanksgiving weekend. I travel to my fridge to get a turkey sandwich. I travel to get a beer. And of course I travel to get a piece of pie (pecan, apple,pumpkin and pudding) that was deliciously prepared on Thanksgiving. Please notify the stewards that I am reporting 20 pounds overweight (and pity the poor horse).

JolyB
11-29-2014, 10:06 AM
I myself do an exceptional amount of traveling on Thanksgiving weekend. I travel to my fridge to get a turkey sandwich. I travel to get a beer. And of course I travel to get a piece of pie (pecan, apple,pumpkin and pudding) that was deliciously prepared on Thanksgiving. Please notify the stewards that I am reporting 20 pounds overweight (and pity the poor horse).

THANK YOU RQ. I needed that laugh to get rid of my gloom and doom. I surely hope that you and Don are correct and that our small band will pick up its volume after the holidays are behind us. In the meantime, let's beat the bushes to try to attract more players. I sure wish I could think of a way to get a sponsor for some prizes that would attract a few more.

DonGuido
11-29-2014, 10:28 AM
I myself do an exceptional amount of traveling on Thanksgiving weekend. I travel to my fridge to get a turkey sandwich. I travel to get a beer. And of course I travel to get a piece of pie (pecan, apple, pumpkin and pudding) that was deliciously prepared on Thanksgiving. Please notify the stewards that I am reporting 20 pounds overweight (and pity the poor horse).Are you sure we are not long lost twins separated at birth for some reason. Leave the beer (wine for me) and pudding out and we are of the same mind set for sure.:D

Plenilune
11-29-2014, 10:56 AM
I agree with both Don's and RQ's ideas. I especially like Joly's idea about having prizes, maybe for the bigger race events. I go to Parx every year for the PA Derby and always get a free PA Derby and Cotillion hat. I would be more than happy to offer that up for a prize. It's not much but it's a little something.

dapplehorse
11-29-2014, 01:45 PM
I agree with all of the above suggestions.

Prizes would be awesome. I remember way back when, we used to get prizes, won a few myself. Nothing more exciting than getting a prize in the mail, it was incentive to make sure I didnt miss a week and I even handicapped a bit harder than I do nowadays. I'd be willing to make a donation as well...not sure what I could donate, but willing to help out.

dapplehorse
11-29-2014, 01:52 PM
.....was just thinking....

if its a later in the year, or end of year prize, I can totally hit up my HRA/HBPA friends for a donation of some Northlands merchandise...I do it all the time so it wont be a problem getting stuff.

DonGuido
11-30-2014, 09:55 AM
Thanks for all the support and comments so far and the offer for getting prizes. Maybe I can find some magic at Lone Star Park and wrangle a prize from them. I know I can get some stuff from the Dallas Zoo.

Arletta
11-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks for all the support and comments so far and the offer for getting prizes. Maybe I can find some magic at Lone Star Park and wrangle a prize from them. I know I can get some stuff from the Dallas Zoo.

That would be fitting I think for a few of us.. of course I won't mention any names :D

JolyB
11-30-2014, 10:09 AM
That would be fitting I think for a few of us.. of course I won't mention any names :D

You don't need to - I know when I resemble a remark.:p

[OK, now I'll go back to my cage]

DonGuido
11-30-2014, 10:10 AM
That would be fitting I think for a few of us.. of course I won't mention any names :DYa think you can work some magic with Steve and his connections for some prizes?

Arletta
11-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Ya think you can work some magic with Steve and his connections for some prizes?

Doubt it but doesn't hurt to ask.

Real Quiet
12-01-2014, 10:09 AM
I agree with all the proposed rule changes. Retroactive is fine with me since its only been 3 weeks but I guess thats up to those it affects. Giving more points for a win and reducing the bonus points sound good and if you want to give extra points for a "big win" thats ok too.

DonGuido
12-02-2014, 09:21 PM
OK and thanks for all the input (those who did) so we have a go and here it is:

10 - Win
7 - Place
5 - Show
4 - Super

If the winner really excels then he or she will get extra bonus points with a slight change:

Win in points by 12-25 you get +5 bonus pts
Win in points by 26 or more you get +10 bonus pts

Without making this more complicated than it needs to be, I have given this much thought but please tell me if anyone differs. I will adjust scores according to these changes and do the current total with this as well but will not feel bad if there is enough contrary to the contrary. . . really.