was a vet scratch
so i thought ,because the start of the pk 3 didnt start yest
i would get a refund
can anyone tell if i should or not?

helicopter11
09-13-2014, 05:16 PM
The following is from the Canadian Thoroughbred Rules & Regulations:

Pick 3, Pick 4, and Pick 5 Scratches

In the event a Pick 3, Pick 4 or Pick 5 ticket designates as a selection a horse which is scratched, excused or determined by the Stewards/Judges to be a non-starter in any of the races comprising the Pick 3, Pick 4 or Pick 5 the favourite, as evidenced by the amount wagered in the win pool at the time of the start of the race in which the scratch occurred, will be substituted for the non-starting selection. In the event that the money bet in the win pool for two or more favourites is identical, the selection with the lowest program number shall be substituted for the non-starting selection.

However, if a scratch occurs in any leg of the Pick 3, Pick 4 or Pick 5 pools before the pool is closed, a ticket including the scratched horse may be cancelled.

ontheoutside
09-13-2014, 05:45 PM
by the sounds of it i should have cancelled it myself instead of thinking they would do it
i didnt get refund
but i could have cancelled bet myself oh well i will learn sooner or later
thanks again

Needing the Wire
09-14-2014, 11:07 AM
I believe the "Pool Closing" for your particular Pick 3 is the beginning of Race 7. If I read your post correctly, your scratch happened 4 minutes until race 9. You would not have been able to cancel your wager prior to the third leg of a Pk3 due to the Scratch. The Pool becomes Closed or Finite when the Gates Open on the First Race of any Multi-Race Wager.

In Canada, they "move you" to the Post Time Favorite in a race with your scratched horse for their Pick 3 wagers.

American Tracks will use this same "move you to the Favorite" method in Pick 4's, 5's, and 6's...BUT they will pay "Consolations" on Pk3 Wagers instead of using the Post Time Favorite when a Scratch is involved.

Look at yesterday results from Belmont and you will see several different Pick 3 Payouts on one race. The different Payouts are for the different combinations factoring Scratched horses throughout the Pick 3 Sequence. You still have to get the other legs correct, of course. That's always my issue.

Hope this helps.

Needing the Wire
09-14-2014, 11:09 AM
I believe the "Pool Closing" for your particular Pick 3 is the beginning of Race 7. If I read your post correctly, your scratch happened 4 minutes until race 9. You would not have been able to cancel your wager prior to the third leg of a Pk3 due to the Scratch. The Pool becomes Closed or Finite when the Gates Open on the First Race of any Multi-Race Wager.

In Canada, they "move you" to the Post Time Favorite in a race with your scratched horse for their Pick 3 wagers.

American Tracks will use this same "move you to the Favorite" method in Pick 4's, 5's, and 6's...BUT they will pay "Consolations" on Pk3 Wagers instead of using the Post Time Favorite when a Scratch is involved.

Look at yesterday results from Belmont and you will see several different Pick 3 Payouts on one race. The different Payouts are for the different combinations factoring Scratched horses throughout the Pick 3 Sequence. You still have to get the other legs correct, of course. That's always my issue.

Hope this helps.

Read your post again...If it was announced prior to the 7th...Cancel would have been available. Reading Comprehension is rare on a Sunday! :D

senator L
09-15-2014, 08:37 AM
Way better to cancel your bet. I had that happen to me last
week. I had 5 horses in a pick 4 and they scratched two horses
when loading. I thought I would get some money back, but I didn't
I then had the (2) post time favs, instead of refunding money they
gave me the next two horses lowest in odds.
Now I know:confused:

Benny
09-15-2014, 10:13 AM

I agree, happened to me last week,but it was in the 1 post ,so they did not unload the horses and reload like they do if it was a horse in a middle post. I was going to cancel and rebet, but didnot think i had time since they just scratched the horse without reloading.Next time i cancel the bet, and if i have time to reload i will, but thats it. Don'tlet them jam up bettors, there's always another day.

atolunch
09-15-2014, 11:00 AM

I'd double check that.

I don't believe you get the next two post time favs. I'm pretty sure you only get the post time fav and your ticket would be doubled. For example if you had a .50 P4 to the 1,2,3,4,5 and the #4,5 scratch , if the #1 is the fav, you would now have a $1.50 P4 to the #1. If say the #6 was post time fav, you'd have a $1 P4 to the #6.

Not a big deal, just trying to save you possible future confusion. Hope that makes sense!