PDA

View Full Version : Sat 9/1 Saratoga R4 #3 Shmoov Talker

pmayjr
08-30-2013, 04:03 AM
Guys,

Apologies for not posting about this horse in the Trip Notes section of the board about a month ago.

Shmooz Talker- #3 in race 4 Sunday (9/1) at Saratoga. Last race he ran at the same distance, same conditions as this race he's entered in Sunday- 25k Claiming. I was actually hoping his connections would move him up to AOC or Allowance company. Because his last race would've made him competitive at either. At this same 25k level, he'll probably be bet down, but 4-1 or better is worth it on him.

So what happened last time? He was stalking a pace duel down on the rail, and when he was ready to make his move, he was boxed in horribly. So much traffic. By the time the jockey found a seam and got him moving, he got in the clear for a brief moment and looked to have the field beaten. But he had lost so much momentum waiting for an opening that right at the wire a horse that had a clear run up the outside barreled home and got Shmooz Talker by a head.

Seriously- if Shmooz Talker last out had just a little traffic, he would've won by 3. If he had a clean trip, he romps by 5 or more. He was the best horse by a bazillion lengths last out. That's why I was hoping his connections would move him up in class so he'd be a little ignored betting-wise. I can't emphasize enough that a repeat effort of that last race and he will win on Sunday.

Have a fun Labor Day weekend y'all

-Pete

pmayjr
08-30-2013, 04:08 AM
The race is on Sunday... note to self- there are 31 days in August lol. So Sunday 9/1 race 4. He's the #3 horse Shmooz Talker

pmayjr
08-30-2013, 05:51 AM
ok... if I haven't lost all credibility yet- ShmooZ Talker. ShmooZ Talker.

When I start writing for DRF it'll be this thread that cite as the day I learned the hard-way to proof-read and fact check (and now the date) lol

pmayjr
08-30-2013, 09:19 PM
5/1ML

Arletta
09-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Best of luck today :)

Arletta
09-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Nice! Thanks for the heads up :)

santana
09-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Good one....8/5 but much better than a loser.

pointman
09-01-2013, 03:38 PM
To be fair, as bad as his trip supposedly was last time, he sure got a perfect ground saving trip today.

RockHardTen1985
09-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Good one....8/5 but much better than a loser.

Priced went from about 5/2 to 8/5 w/ the late scratch of the 10. 3 likely wins anyway with that dreamy trip.

pmayjr
09-01-2013, 05:06 PM
He had that same ground-saving stalking trip on the rail in his last start as well, but the front-runners didn't clear out for him that day. He was buried on the rail and had no way to go.

I haven't seen the race yet, because I'm in the tropical paradise known as North Dakota visiting gramma lol. But how many horses scratched out that he became the heavy chalk? He was gonna be a short price anyway, but THAT short?

Also, as I said in the original post, I was mad that they weren't jumping up in class with him because he'd be live at a longer price. Mike Maker and/or Ken Ramsey must've watched his last race, because they claimed him for 25k today. I wonder if David Cannizo thought they'd be able to get him through that race without him getting claimed? I think Ramsey got him for a bargain and should move him up the ladder in a turf sprint at Belmont or maybe even Keeneland next out. Keep an eye on him. As long as he stays on form he'll give allowance horses all they can handle.

pointman
09-01-2013, 06:11 PM
He had that same ground-saving stalking trip on the rail in his last start as well, but the front-runners didn't clear out for him that day. He was buried on the rail and had no way to go.

I haven't seen the race yet, because I'm in the tropical paradise known as North Dakota visiting gramma lol. But how many horses scratched out that he became the heavy chalk? He was gonna be a short price anyway, but THAT short?

Also, as I said in the original post, I was mad that they weren't jumping up in class with him because he'd be live at a longer price. Mike Maker and/or Ken Ramsey must've watched his last race, because they claimed him for 25k today. I wonder if David Cannizo thought they'd be able to get him through that race without him getting claimed? I think Ramsey got him for a bargain and should move him up the ladder in a turf sprint at Belmont or maybe even Keeneland next out. Keep an eye on him. As long as he stays on form he'll give allowance horses all they can handle.

I hope that you didn't see my comment as a knock on your pick as it certainly wasn't meant to be. The horse won and you did a nice job finding it albeit that the price took a hit with the scratches.

My comment was directed at making a note going forward as he got an absolute ground saving perfect trip on the hedge and a hole opened up for him today.

pmayjr
09-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Not at all... hope I didn't seem that way?

Just wanted to clarify that he had the same trip last time and that same trip got him in trouble lol. I didn't blame the jock for it last out, because he put him in a great position to win, and just couldn't find room. Glad he found it today.

I hope Ramsey/Maker tries at least 40k claiming next out, if not allowance company. He's live

pmayjr
09-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Had an official work at Keeneland today. Ramsey/Maker picked him up after the turf sprint claiming score final weekend at Toga (might've been the last race on the turf for the meet due to all the rain that weekend?).

Hoping for a Turf Sprint allowance at Keeneland where he will be competitive, but can fly under the radar odds-wise a little.

jtrottier
10-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Returns today at Keeneland Race # 7. 7/2 ML and it's 6.5 furlongs on the all weather. Not much of a price for moving him up in class. Don't have access to PP's but does he have any races/workouts on this surface?

Kasept
10-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Returns today at Keeneland Race # 7. 7/2 ML and it's 6.5 furlongs on the all weather. Not much of a price for moving him up in class. Don't have access to PP's but does he have any races/workouts on this surface?

Yes.. Maker gave him one drill at KEE and one before that at Turfway since the claim.

pmayjr
10-10-2013, 10:17 PM
He is an allowance horse... in turf sprints. Hopefully they learn from today and get him back on the lawn

Kasept
10-11-2013, 05:05 AM
He is an allowance horse... in turf sprints. Hopefully they learn from today and get him back on the lawn

A one turn race on KEE's poly is a turf sprint. He was 5th as the 4th choice, beaten 2L in a 6 horse blanket finish. What's to learn?

pmayjr
10-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Respectfully disagree. The poly and the lawn are very similar, but why change anything from the recent success he's had? Keeneland does have 5.5f turf sprints in their condition books right? I just disagree with a switch to the main and stretching him, especially if its on dirt itself. As you can see from my original post though, I do agree with his move-up to ALW company. All I'm saying, is eventhough they're similar put him back on the lawn and see what happens. If he's short again vs ALW competition then I concede the point.

ateamstupid
10-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Respectfully disagree. The poly and the lawn are very similar, but why change anything from the recent success he's had? Keeneland does have 5.5f turf sprints in their condition books right? I just disagree with a switch to the main and stretching him, especially if its on dirt itself. As you can see from my original post though, I do agree with his move-up to ALW company. All I'm saying, is eventhough they're similar put him back on the lawn and see what happens. If he's short again vs ALW competition then I concede the point.

Not very many. Much easier to find a comparable poly spot.

pmayjr
10-11-2013, 12:43 PM
hmmm... interesting... also Maker doesn't usually have a string of horses in NY right? I mean where if he did he could've left the horse up there to run at BEL.

I knew when he claimed the horse that he'd be bringing him to Keeneleand. But Even if there aren't many turf sprints carded. A straight 6f, 5.5f on the main maybe better?

Gotta love a message board where we're debating where/what races a fringe allowance horse should be placed lol :)

pmayjr
10-11-2013, 12:45 PM
hmmm... interesting... also Maker doesn't usually have a string of horses in NY right? I mean where if he did he could've left the horse up there to run at BEL.

I knew when he claimed the horse that he'd be bringing him to Keeneleand. But Even if there aren't many turf sprints carded. A straight 6f, 5.5f on the main maybe better?

Gotta love a message board where we're debating where/what races a fringe allowance horse should be placed lol :)

A one turn race on KEE's poly is a turf sprint. He was 5th as the 4th choice, beaten 2L in a 6 horse blanket finish. What's to learn?

Also,

Admittedly I didn't see the replay of the race. Just read the chart that he lost by 2 lengths. But I did have reservations going in about him going 6.5f. Assuming he was close up and he flattened out late?

pmayjr
10-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Anyone wanna loan me 32k lol? Instead of using it for BC wagers, I'll just claim this guy and get him back in turf sprints... somewhere... Does Churchill offer a lot of turf sprints in their conditions book? If so, why not wait until their meet starts? Entered in R10 Sat at Keeneland.
http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/KEE102513USA-EQB.html#RACE10

I concede that I'm being a rube over a marginal allowance horse. Guilty. As. Charged.

Kasept
10-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Won easily at 3-2 on the poly today and claimed by Dane Kobiskie.

pmayjr
10-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Just saw the result. Impressive.

Dane. Allowance Turf Sprint. Laurel. Do it. Please.