PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream Park Derby Trail Trip

Scav
09-30-2006, 12:07 AM
(Steve, try and keep this here so we can get a feel for it)

Stakes schedule is out and I am going to this place this winter. Some have talked about going. The big weekends are

Feb 3rd - Donn Weekend (5 graded stakes race)(This is Super Bowl weekend and the Super Bowl is in Miami, so I might already be here because of the Bears, but if not, I would not recommend going this weekend, because prices will be through the roof, for anything)

March 3rd - FOY/Hutcheson Weekend (4 dirt graded stakes)

March 31st - Florida Derby weekend(4 graded stakes)

If we get enough interest, I plan on calling Gulfstream to work on a group sale deal. I am sure Steve might know some people down there also that could help.

I, personally, will be getting box seats for the whole weekend as I like having an area to go without having to set up a war zone to save your spot, probably purchase both outside and inside seating.

My decision is completely based on the Bears, if they go to the Bowl, I will be down there, if they do not, my first choice would probably be March 3rd, then March 31st.

randallscott35
09-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Scavs, I will absolutely try and make it.

Bigsmc
09-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Pick the weekend and I'll be there Scav.

Buffymommy
09-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Let me know what weekend ya end up going. I will try and make it down there. As long as there are no horseshows, I should be fine for making it down there.

pmayjr
10-01-2006, 04:39 PM
If you do end up going in March... it'll coincide with Spring Break most likely. Keep me posted.

31lengths
10-02-2006, 07:56 PM
I planned on making the trip to the Florida Derby myself.
Keep me posted.

Scav
10-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Feb 3rd weekend is JACKED UP because of the Super Bowl so I am going to toss that weekend from consideration. It will either be FOY or Florida Derby Weekend, I am leaning towards FOY. Stupid Super Bowl messing with Gulfstream Park...hopefully it helps them though with alot of people hitting the races on Saturday and the game on Sunday, who knows

31lengths
10-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Feb 3rd weekend is JACKED UP because of the Super Bowl so I am going to toss that weekend from consideration. It will either be FOY or Florida Derby Weekend, I am leaning towards FOY. Stupid Super Bowl messing with Gulfstream Park...hopefully it helps them though with alot of people hitting the races on Saturday and the game on Sunday, who knows

Kev talked about hitting Gulfstream and Tampa Bay downs around the same time too.

Scav
10-04-2006, 08:59 PM
He is crazy about going to Tampa also...Gulfstream only for me

pmayjr
10-05-2006, 04:54 AM
It's not totally out of the realm of possibility- because they run their meets at the same time. One for the crappy Florida horses, one for the quality Florida horses lol.

Just keep this in Mind. If you go in March, it's Spring Break time! PRICES WILL BE UP!

Scav
10-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Not the end of March or the beginning, it is the middle where they jack you...I can get reasonable prices on both March 3rd weekend and March 30th weekend, still going to see what the dilly is, moreso because I might be down there already on Feb 3rd weekend for the Bears

Buffymommy
10-09-2006, 03:01 PM
I will wear my RH10 hat so you guys can find me... :D

I am kinda leaning towards the FLA Derby weekend. Doesn't look like I have any horseshows that weekend so I can take a Saturday off.

And Tampa is about three and a half hours from Gulfstream. I am estimating as it takes me an hour to get to Gulfstream and about two and a half to get to Tampa. So you guys could realistically (and if not too drunk) drive to Tampa after the races on Saturday and go to Tampa and fly home from Tampa on Monday after Kev wins every race at Tampa. The airport is not that far from the racetrack if I am remembering correctly.

Cajungator26
10-09-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to the Florida Derby...

Buffymommy
10-09-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to the Florida Derby...

How far is it for you Cajun to go to Gulfstream?

Cajungator26
10-09-2006, 11:19 PM
How far is it for you Cajun to go to Gulfstream?

About 3 and a half hours, Buffy... sorry I didn't see this before.

Buffymommy
10-10-2006, 09:36 AM
About 3 and a half hours, Buffy... sorry I didn't see this before.

We will have to meet up!

Cajungator26
10-10-2006, 04:13 PM
We will have to meet up!

Yes, we most certainly will. :D

I hope you're ready for trouble! HAHA

FlBred
10-12-2006, 02:44 PM
It's not totally out of the realm of possibility- because they run their meets at the same time. One for the crappy Florida horses, one for the quality Florida horses lol.

Just keep this in Mind. If you go in March, it's Spring Break time! PRICES WILL BE UP!

I live about 20 minutes from Gulfstream, Springbreak doee not cause much trouble in So. Fl. There is so much to do, so many hotels that its not really an issue. Plus, the springbreakers that come down ususally stay on South Beah or Ft. Laud Beach. There are plenty of other places to stay, especially if you are coming to go to Gulfstream. So dont let the springbreak affect your decisions too much.

31lengths
10-17-2006, 06:58 PM
I will wear my RH10 hat so you guys can find me... :D

I am kinda leaning towards the FLA Derby weekend. Doesn't look like I have any horseshows that weekend so I can take a Saturday off.

And Tampa is about three and a half hours from Gulfstream. I am estimating as it takes me an hour to get to Gulfstream and about two and a half to get to Tampa. So you guys could realistically (and if not too drunk) drive to Tampa after the races on Saturday and go to Tampa and fly home from Tampa on Monday after Kev wins every race at Tampa. The airport is not that far from the racetrack if I am remembering correctly.

Its about 20 minutes to Tampa Bay Downs from here and about 4 hrs to Gulfstream. It won't be too hard to find rooms here in Tampa Bay even with spring break and spring training. Tampa airport is about 20 minutes from the track also.

Florida Derby will be run on March 31.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/rss/article.asp?id=35540