PDA

View Full Version : anyone interested in the world cup?

brockguy
06-08-2006, 08:10 PM
its crazy over here, and were not even in it. Should be a great month. Soccer is my 2nd fav sport after racing. I like spain, portugal and the czechs to cause a slight upset. Brazil are vulnerable in defence and England are overated.

somerfrost
06-08-2006, 08:17 PM
its crazy over here, and were not even in it. Should be a great month. Soccer is my 2nd fav sport after racing. I like spain, portugal and the czechs to cause a slight upset. Brazil are vulnerable in defence and England are overated.
Well, I like Spain and Brazil...will root for Team USA (I guess we're in it, hell if I know)...Spain has impressed me in the past and Brazil always is a factor so those should be OK picks but really, I don't feel qualified to say much!

Scurlogue Champ
06-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Germany didn't look too bad this morning against an overmatched Costa Rica

alysheba4
06-09-2006, 09:39 PM
in the u.s, soccer is for kids that cant cut it in baseball or football...... i guess i will go with the team from argentina.

chromer
06-10-2006, 12:03 AM
Let's give Soccer proper respect.

Where would the NFL be without Soccer style kickers? Ever see old black and white film from the 60's with kicker's lining up straight to kick the ball?

This is the HUGE contribution Soccer has made to the American sports scene. The 5'-6" 150lb guy on the team now stands at an angle.

Things are still in the stone age for the long snapper though. When oh when will someone figure out a new way to hike the ball?

Scav
06-10-2006, 12:31 AM
Jamaica is my pick

Seattleallstar
06-10-2006, 11:36 PM
ENGLAND
ENGLAND
ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!

nuff said...2nd is the hopes that the US pulls off a miracle

third--ehh how can you not like Brazil

1st_Saturday_in_May
06-11-2006, 12:00 AM
One time in four years I'll watch soccer, and this is it. Hate to go for the favorites - Brazil - but they seem stacked, plus I love the one name thing! Germany looked good opening and the home country has made the final in something like 11 of 18 Worlds Cups. A longshot? Lets look at Mexico!!!

skippy3481
06-12-2006, 07:26 AM
My thoughts so far on the world cup

Iran- sucks enough said
England better play better football or they wont get past the 2nd round
Germany-Their backliners better wake up or someone will destroy them
Portugal- Looked okay in their opener will need to improve more to compete
Argentina-Looked very strong beating up on the ivory coast.

brockguy
06-12-2006, 07:51 AM
yeah skippy, so far only argentina and portugal seem good enough to win it. Germany were shocking in defence. any half decent team will destroy them. England love to hype their team up but were poor. they badly need wayne rooney back in their squad. no chance without him. Some decent games today. the US might pull off a shock against the czechs. they were the best european team 2 years ago, but most of their players are nearing retirement. Italy should win tonight but will not have it their own way against Ghana. All the African teams have looked physically strong and are tough to beat. anyway, should be some good games today!

brockguy
06-12-2006, 06:49 PM
from the racing post mixes football with racing.

http://www.racingpost.co.uk/news/rp_std_page.sd?psection=racingpost.co.uk&page=wrap_12_06_06

some background info, the horse that is highlighted, Quito just ran his 100th race and won it for his 18th win and at 9, is better than ever, and is a personal fav of mine. Oh and he is a rig!!

Charismatic1
06-12-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm more than a bit disappointed in that EFFORT. I can handle being beaten as the Czechs are a great team, but the lack of effort, passion, and will is almost depressing for those of us that hoped for a strong showing - whether that showing would take us far or not.

They are getting RIPPED apart by the media here. As disappointed as I am, it's kinda funny to see analysts tearing this team apart. Hopefully the team doesn't shy away from the embarassment and atleast go down swinging. They have plenty of weapons to do some damage in the next two games, but I want to see some friggin LIFE on the pitch.

BellamyRd.
06-13-2006, 09:41 PM
I almost threw up by the effort of Ronaldo today
as a coach it's disgusting when you see talent
play with such lack of motivaton
Ronaldinho was great
but really the Croats outplayed them
and should have won
if they didn't kick the ball right to the goalkeeper every time
I wouldn't play Ronaldo the rest of the group play
I'd stick with Robinho
the Americans are doomed
how did the FIFA's #5 ranked team get placed with #2 Czechs
and three time champ Italy?
My neighbors are Argentines
so I'm rooting for them
but I'd really like to see a 1st time winner

skippy3481
06-14-2006, 09:46 AM
The U.S look absolutely putrid. Watching them is like watching a screenplay. it seems everything is scripted out. We need more free-wheeling in our offense. And kasey Kellar needs to show the hell up.

Exceller
06-14-2006, 10:22 AM
The U.S look absolutely putrid. Watching them is like watching a screenplay. it seems everything is scripted out. We need more free-wheeling in our offense. And kasey Kellar needs to show the hell up.

Free-wheeling offense? How about any offense. Reyna is the only player that generates anything.

Gander
06-14-2006, 10:23 AM
YES i am very interested in the World Cup.... I am interested in the World Cup ending! When is that?

irishtrekker
06-15-2006, 06:53 AM
From what I've read over here, the FIFA rankings have been criticized intensely, and our collapse has given a lot of people ammunition to keep tearing into them.

We're off to watch our match against Italy at a football-crazed pub Saturday. It should be painful, but someone has to cheer us on (or cringe and hide behind the pint, either way).

I grew up playing soccer/football and loved it, so I enjoy the World Cup. It's really great being in the UK -- I don't think I've ever seen so many car flags supporting the team anywhere.

alysheba4
06-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Q UOTE=Gander]YES i am very interested in the World Cup.... I am interested in the World Cup ending! When is that?[/QUOTE]....;)

pgardn
06-15-2006, 09:49 PM
YES i am very interested in the World Cup.... I am interested in the World Cup ending! When is that?

Where is the respect...? How many fat players do you see on a soccer field compared to a football or baseball field? Cmon Gander, you are into fitness. These guys are totally fit or they sit.

I will say it is an aquired taste much like baseball. The sport is deeper than the score. Its hard for some people to appreciate unless you have played. This sport in damn tough to play. When you see teams pass the ball and move into opens space so efficiently and set up a shot that misses, there is still beauty in the play. Its kind of like a pitcher setting up a guy for a high tight one for watch that one strike 3. We might love it, but people who dont know the sport look and say what is the big deal? You got to move for 45 minutes straight sprinting and cutting in between. And then do it again.

It is a fantastic sport and a wonderful exercise in team cohesion.

A change: If a guy has to be carted off the field on a stretcher, he is out of the game and a substitution must be made. He must also sit out the team's next game as he must have been severly injured. They fake way too much to catch a breath.

pgardn
06-15-2006, 09:52 PM
If he is knocked down and cannot get up, he has 40 seconds before a stretcher is brought on... and once the stretcher is on the field a player must come off and be substituted for.

pgardn rules of soccer: Article IV subsection 32a Verse III(c) pslam G5

Gander
06-16-2006, 08:33 AM
I could care less what kind of shape they are in. Just being honest here. I'd much rather watch out of shape overweight guys play baseball than a bunch of very athletic soccer players run around a field (thats way too big by the way) for one hour and score maybe one goal. They need to do something to make this a more offensive game.

They should shrink the field down in size and increase the size of the goal.

When is this over anyways?

pgardn
06-16-2006, 08:59 AM

Never.

Because I am tired of watching fat, tabacco chompin, spittin, fat guys that stand around.

What kind of sport lets Barry Bonds on the field to play defense. How IN GOD'S NAME can you call baseball a sport when a guy that cannot even run, can play in the outfield?
Now that my friend, is a joke.

Gander if you learned to love baseball, you can learn to love soccer. (Not that you want to)

Gander
06-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Never will I be a fan of soccer. Add that to car racing and bowling, this I am sure of.

And how can you be so sure everybody on those soccer fields are clean? You mean there is absolutely no one who cheats with a banned substance?

Pointg5
06-16-2006, 09:23 AM
Not a soccer fan at all, I would never watch it, but lots of people like it, so to each their own...

The best arguement I have seen for why Baseball and Football are better, is because something can happen on every play with those sports. Even if if is a 0-0 Baseball Game, 1 swing of the bat can change it, the Reds were 0-0 going into the 11th the other day and with one swing of the bat Adam Dunn won the game, at least there's the anticipation something can happen, same thing in Football...

And with the fat Football Players, those are some of the biggest, strongest, fastest people in the world, people do not understand how violent of a game Football can be, someone once compared it to having a car wreck on every play. The speed and size these guys carry is unbelievable...

pgardn
06-16-2006, 09:25 AM
And how can you be so sure everybody on those soccer fields are clean? You mean there is absolutely no one who cheats with a banned substance?
Heck, I am susupect of all sports. Except bowling and car racing. I know there are high school kids at almost every school in the district I teach in that used them (majority are football and body-builders). The testing of high school kids is the next step.

I did not say anything about soccer players being clean. Or Barry.

I am just asking how can a guy that cannot even run play in the outfield. What kind of sport that involves some running, on occassion, allow a guy that cannot even run to be in the OUTFIELD. Dont they have to chase down balls?

brockguy
06-16-2006, 09:27 AM
watch the second goal that argentina scored today, brilliant..Soccers the most popular sport for a reason..

somerfrost
06-16-2006, 09:38 AM
watch the second goal that argentina scored today, brilliant..Soccers the most popular sport for a reason..

Yeah Brock, cause we live in a strange world inhabited by strange creatures! Watching soccer is like watching grass grow except with grass at least you can smoke it at some point!

brockguy
06-16-2006, 09:56 AM
somer, im abig fan of american football, baseball, basketball and hockey, basically any sport imaginable, but football is amazing. only racing beats it in my mind. The great thing about football is no matter where you are in the world (except the states and canada) you can talk football to the locals even if you dont know the language!

BellamyRd.
06-16-2006, 09:57 AM
this is the cruelest beating I've ever witnessed (6-nil)
people who say a sport is boring usually don't knopw how to watch the sport
I've heard boxing is boring, soccer, curling, hockey, horse racing even
but there are intricacies you look for in the game that make it interesting
I guess what I mean is soccer is not for the casual viewer
but those who are astute on the game and how it is played
or supposed to be played, to really appreciate it

brockguy
06-16-2006, 10:05 AM
argentina showed today how to play the game! beautiful, really. on the other hand, england, yesterday despite winning were shocking!

Gander
06-16-2006, 11:39 AM
No I'd much rather watch grass grow.

pgardn
06-16-2006, 12:38 PM
argentina showed today how to play the game! beautiful, really. on the other hand, england, yesterday despite winning were shocking!

I think some of the little things that soccer players can pull off are amazing. They get a pass rocketed to them and they have the perfect touch with almost any part of their body to put the ball down right at their feet. Its amazing. When I played a little, that first touch, getting the ball down to where it is controllable is absolutely critical. But if you have not played it, you would not know it. I can hit 3's in basketball all day, or freethrows, thats easy. I'll be damned if I can put a soccer ball right at might feet on a tough pass. I guess thats what I get not growing up with the sport in elementary school, when a lot of muscle memory is established.

There are 1000 other little tidbits like that in soccer.

SCUDSBROTHER
06-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Soccer is o.k. to watch if the players are making skillful passes(like Argentina did today.)If not,it is like a real bad hockey game.

Gander
06-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Passes? You watch a sport for passes? Its like watching baseball to see routine double plays. I'm no huge fan of hockey but at least they fight and get roughed up. Anyone know why the soccer players wear their socks damn high? Real bad fashion going on out there.

pgardn
06-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Passes? You watch a sport for passes? Its like watching baseball to see routine double plays. I'm no huge fan of hockey but at least they fight and get roughed up. Anyone know why the soccer players wear their socks damn high? Real bad fashion going on out there.

Shin guards are often held in place by the high socks. And shin guards are extraordinarily important. Hurts like hell getting kicked in the shin, even with them on. Some of the shin guards even have the extra ankle pads on the outside and inside so if someone slides into you with cleats, your ankles dont get stabbed. In soccer, the knee down is where the pain usually occurs.

But like I stated before, they fake for rest a whole lot.

somerfrost
06-16-2006, 09:05 PM
These guys take more dives than pro wrestlers...now there's an idea, maybe Vince should field his own soccer team...The Big Show in goal, Triple H, HBK, bring Nick out of retirement...would sledge hammers and chairs get you red carded? First guy who takes a dive in front of the Undertaker gets tombstoned...that would slow that crap down!

irishtrekker
06-18-2006, 01:12 PM
It really is to each their own -- baseball bores me like no other sport, but I love a good World Cup match. It was pandemonium yesterday at the pub when we thought our second goal counted...damn, an upset of Italian would have been amazing. I think soccer's one of those sports that's made better with a good crowd. We had such a blast yesterday: Italians at one table, Americans adjacent, beer flowing...here's hoping our match with Ghana is good, too.

Bold Brooklynite
06-18-2006, 06:46 PM
I could care less what kind of shape they are in. Just being honest here. I'd much rather watch out of shape overweight guys play baseball than a bunch of very athletic soccer players run around a field (thats way too big by the way) for one hour and score maybe one goal. They need to do something to make this a more offensive game.

They should shrink the field down in size and increase the size of the goal.

Absolutely ...

... the athletes are great ... but the sport is a complete snoozathon.

After 26 games ... a total of 61 goals had been scored ... an average of 2.3 per game by BOTH teams ... and only about half of those resulted from game action ... the rest coming on penalty kicks and corner kicks.

As Joanne Worley used to say on "Laugh-In" ... BOOOOOOORINGGGG !!!

Bold Brooklynite
06-18-2006, 06:50 PM
These guys take more dives than pro wrestlers...

Yeah ... they do seem to be a bunch of girly-men ... don't they? ... lots of swooning, writhing, and grimacing every time they get a boo-boo.

Wisecracker
06-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Sorry, but soccer just doesn't do it for me.

Lots of running around yet hardly any meaningful action. BORING.

pgardn
06-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Brazil and Australia played an extremely entertaining game. Almost every player on Brazil has more skill than any US player. The only way we get on track and compete is really playing as a unit cause we got very little talent compared to the top teams.

I guess if you take a country the size of Brazil, and the choice of sports to play is soccer, then soccer, and after that soccer, and then maybe a little basketball... well, you will have very talented athletes.

If a guy like Barry Sanders was born with a soccer ball at his feet, we might have a chance. Most kids in the US quit soccer by the time they start middle and High School. Then its the other football. And if inner city, basketball. The number of US baseball players is dropping off the map with the Latin American influx of really good players.

brockguy
06-18-2006, 07:51 PM
us showed alot of passion yesterday. italians are a good team so it was a good result esp after the mauling ye got to the czechs.

regarding football being boring, it all depends on who you are.
I think its exciting,
My friends think its exciting, etc etc. My friends think racing is boring, but obviously we dont.My friends think baseball is boring. I used to be like that but have come to appreicate the sport for what it is!

pgardn
06-18-2006, 08:05 PM
us showed alot of passion yesterday. italians are a good team so it was a good result esp after the mauling ye got to the czechs.

regarding football being boring, it all depends on who you are.
I think its exciting,
My friends think its exciting, etc etc. My friends think racing is boring, but obviously we dont.My friends think baseball is boring. I used to be like that but have come to appreicate the sport for what it is!

Born and raised in Texas where soccer is here only because we are next to Mexico and I LOVE THE SPORT.
Do you play Brock?
I played in a league for a couple of years because my daughter was playing so I wanted to learn. I was in very good shape and I had a great time. I even got a yellow card after running into the goalie after getting a finger in the eye.
Had this nice little card and had to take a little exam to get the card to join the league. Had a blast trying something new. And I am officially on record as having scored one goal. Our entire team had 21 goals, one guy had 16, one guy had 4, and I had one on a little tap in after a wonderful cross by the guy with 16 goals. I will never forget that. Like a first little league homerun... on a bunt.

What a sad life I live.

brockguy
06-18-2006, 08:14 PM
When I was younger (well im still young but say 6 yrs ago),I played very competitively right back, now i just play socially with my friends. I was a better squash player so kept with that instead. yeah really love the sport.. esp when played right like argentinians, spanish, brazilians

2Hot4TV
06-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Brazil and Australia played an extremely entertaining game. Almost every player on Brazil has more skill than any US player. The only way we get on track and compete is really playing as a unit cause we got very little talent compared to the top teams.

I guess if you take a country the size of Brazil, and the choice of sports to play is soccer, then soccer, and after that soccer, and then maybe a little basketball... well, you will have very talented athletes.

If a guy like Barry Sanders was born with a soccer ball at his feet, we might have a chance. Most kids in the US quit soccer by the time they start middle and High School. Then its the other football. And if inner city, basketball. The number of US baseball players is dropping off the map with the Latin American influx of really good players.
Today the kids in the US don't play Baseball because they are playing vidio games and on the telephone.

BellamyRd.
06-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Donavan is probably the worst striker I've ever seen
and he's supposed to be the US's major scoring threat?
we've had some terrible calls go against us
but the fact is you have to be able to generate offense
Pgardn that is a good point that soccer in the US is secondary
well fourthdary if that
and it doesn't attract our best athletes
however we are competive in the Olympics (summer) in a number of
esoteric sports in which there is not much money to be made
so I feel that a country the size of the US is definately underachieving
in the sport of soccer (futbol) against these other nations
the czech republic? the only thing that ever came out of there
was Martina Navatalova, and she changed her citizenship
the Italians...I can see
but this Ghana?

ddthetide
06-22-2006, 11:10 AM
USA soccer will never be competitive on the world stage,
1-the BEST american athletes do NOT play soccer.
2-most people in the USA don't care about soccer.

now soccer can go away for another 4 years.:D

pgardn
06-23-2006, 11:10 AM
now soccer can go away for another 4 years.:D

Its not gone yet. We got some more pool play and then the elimination rounds. We are going to get to see some well organized teams. A whole lot of teams are looking good, I think in part to the excessive yellow cards. They are not letting guys get taken out so we got goals.

pgardns top 5:
1. Germany
2. Argentina
3. Brazil
4. The Netherlands
5. England (going to be tough sledding without Owen)

Downthestretch55
06-23-2006, 11:45 AM
Strange as it may seem, soccer is pretty big in this part of NY.
Small schools don't have football teams...only soccer.
And, the Soccer Hall of fame is located in Oneonta, NY, about a half hour away from the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown.
DTS

brockguy
06-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Its not gone yet. We got some more pool play and then the elimination rounds. We are going to get to see some well organized teams. A whole lot of teams are looking good, I think in part to the excessive yellow cards. They are not letting guys get taken out so we got goals.

pgardns top 5:
1. Germany
2. Argentina
3. Brazil
4. The Netherlands
5. England (going to be tough sledding without Owen)

My top 5 is
Argentina
Spain
Brazil
Italy
Portugal

pgardn
06-23-2006, 01:06 PM
My top 5 is
Argentina
Spain
Brazil
Italy
Portugal

You really like Italy and Portugal? Portugal seems very self-centered style, too much one on one, and Italy just looks way to tentative to me, ineffective looking so far. The other 3 I am OK with.

BellamyRd.
06-24-2006, 09:11 AM
1) Brazil
2) Argentina
3) Holland
4) Switzerland

that's what I'm looking at in the semis

Bold Brooklynite
06-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Today's snoozathon between Italy and Australia is the perfect example of why soccer will never grab hold in this country.

Your typical 0-0 tie until the final ten seconds when an Italian non-stallion did a better dive than Greg Louganis ... and was awarded a "penalty shot" ... a gift-wrapped goal which was the only "score."

Booooooorrrriiiiinnnnnnngggggggg !!!

brockguy
06-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Today's snoozathon between Italy and Australia is the perfect example of why soccer will never grab hold in this country.

Your typical 0-0 tie until the final ten seconds when an Italian non-stallion did a better dive than Greg Louganis ... and was awarded a "penalty shot" ... a gift-wrapped goal which was the only "score."

Booooooorrrriiiiinnnnnnngggggggg !!!
You thought that game was bad (i thought it was OK. typical Italians!!), tonights game was one of the worst games Ive ever seen. Neither team wanted to win, they just sat back and wanted to try their luck on penalties..

hopefully, the games should improve from now on. We have two crackers to look forward to in the 1/4 finals, The hosts against the best team in the tournament and england v portugal.

pgardn
06-26-2006, 06:24 PM
I enjoyed the Australia Italy game. The Swiss and Urakraine game was good in the first half. Italy got really lucky to move forward.

The game of the tournament will take place before it should. Germany v. Argentina... Possibly the two best teams left other than Brazil. I look forward to it. The Germans are playing a very exciting style. Really utilizing their talent. Thank you Jurgen Klinsmann.

brockguy
06-26-2006, 06:41 PM
i reckon argentina take them. My semi finalists are agentina, portugal,italy and spain (if they beat france, i think will beat brazil)

Ruffian2
06-27-2006, 12:43 AM
I've gotta root for Beckham and England.

irishtrekker
06-27-2006, 06:32 AM
I'll be at the local pub, rooting for Portugal. I realize it's not the wisest thing to do in a football-crazed UK town, but hey...if I die, at least it will be because my team won. ;)

pgardn
06-27-2006, 09:46 AM
Brazil coming up in a moment. Gotta love to watch this team. Almost every player could be the best player on another team.

Bold Brooklynite
06-27-2006, 07:37 PM
You thought that game was bad (i thought it was OK. typical Italians!!), tonights game was one of the worst games Ive ever seen. Neither team wanted to win, they just sat back and wanted to try their luck on penalties..

Two games ... 180 minutes of "action" ... and not one score ... not a single one ... until the ref gift-wrapped a non-game-action one for Italy in the final 10 seconds.

Question: In all these other upcoming "exciting" games ... will anyone actually score a goal?

pgardn
06-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Two games ... 180 minutes of "action" ... and not one score ... not a single one ... until the ref gift-wrapped a non-game-action one for Italy in the final 10 seconds.

Question: In all these other upcoming "exciting" games ... will anyone actually score a goal?

If you watch soccer just to see goals scored you have missed the boat. It is an aquired taste. Kinda of like baseball.

Also Americans apparently have a difficult time concentrating for 45 minutes straight. I guess we love commercial breaks, continuous foul balls on 3-2 counts, and mindless driveling announcers.

Take a typical kid. You think they would like to run around kicking a ball or sitting in a dugout waiting to bat... forever? Or chasing grasshoppers in the outfield while the pitcher and catcher play throw the ball back and forth?

It is a great game.

Ruffian2
06-28-2006, 12:30 AM
I'll be at the local pub, rooting for Portugal. I realize it's not the wisest thing to do in a football-crazed UK town, but hey...if I die, at least it will be because my team won. ;)

LOL I'd LOVE to be in a UK town right now!

pgardn
06-29-2006, 09:44 PM
Germany over Argentina
Italy over Ukraine
England over Portugal
Brazil over France

Germany over Italy
Brazil over England

Germany over Brazil

SCUDSBROTHER
06-29-2006, 09:49 PM
France,Brazil,or Argentina.....No England,or Germany.If France would play like they did in their last game,then I would take them at 10 or 11-1,but from what I hear,I saw them on their best day.

pgardn
06-29-2006, 10:06 PM
France,Brazil,or Argentina.....No England,or Germany.If France would play like they did in their last game,then I would take them at 10 or 11-1,but from what I hear,I saw them on their best day.

A bet on the Germany-Argentina game scuds? since you have Argentina moving forward.

brockguy
06-30-2006, 04:25 AM
Germany v Argentina cold be one of the games of the tournament today. I cant believe that I was able to back Argentina at higher than 2-1 to win the game. I believe that they'll have too much attacking power for the weak German defence. Italy should win tonight, but may try their best not to.

England - Portugal will be a cracker as well. If England play like they have been, they wont win, while I believe that France may shock the Brazilians!

irishtrekker
06-30-2006, 05:27 AM
Argentina over Germany (who knows??)
Italy over Ukraine
Portugal over England (I think Portugal's playing better, although the cautions on so many key players may wind up screwing them...and Ronaldo looks like he may not play)
France over Brazil (also agree that France could surprise Brazil)

Argentina over Italy
France over Portugal

Argentina over France

SCUDSBROTHER
06-30-2006, 10:17 AM
A bet on the Germany-Argentina game scuds? since you have Argentina moving forward.

Did I say that? I said that Argentina,Brazil,or France will take it all.You've interpreted what I said incorrectly.

SCUDSBROTHER
06-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Oh,it's on now anyways.

Ruffian2
06-30-2006, 12:16 PM
I have to cheer for England here, because I love Beckham! ;)

pgardn
06-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Oh,it's on now anyways.

Good no take Scuds. Ya big Buckin Chicken.
Let me explain something.
Before this game you would have to had Argentina over Germany to consider Argentina for the finals. Yes? Have you looked at the draw?

brockguy
06-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Bloody Germans. They've just ruined my holiday to Argentina next week> I cant feckin believe it! Argie manager is insane. Bringing on Cruz instead of Messi or Saviola - tactical suicide!

irishtrekker
06-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Gotta wonder how that would have played out if Argentina hadn't been on their sub goalie...puta madre. (I'm guessing I can swear in Spanish here without getting censored.) What an awful way to end a good run.

pgardn
06-30-2006, 01:34 PM
Bloody Germans. They've just ruined my holiday to Argentina next week> I cant feckin believe it! Argie manager is insane. Bringing on Cruz instead of Messi or Saviola - tactical suicide!

They Argentine side went into a defensive shell in the 2nd half giving the Germans a chance. They played that tuck back European ball after getting a lead and you just cant do that against a team that attacks. Part of Argentina's defense is the ability to move the ball around in the midfield effectively frustrating and tiring less skilled teams while pulling off attacks. The midfield dominance was gone in the 2nd half.

My take.

pgardn
06-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Gotta wonder how that would have played out if Argentina hadn't been on their sub goalie...puta madre. (I'm guessing I can swear in Spanish here without getting censored.) What an awful way to end a good run.

Goalie did not matter. No goalie could not have possibly made the save on the 2nd half goal.
He did however look lost during the shootout. But the Argentine side should have never let it go into a shootout. They really stopped badly after the first half. And the Germans did make the right substitutions.

SCUDSBROTHER
06-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Good no take Scuds. Ya big Buckin Chicken.
Let me explain something.
Before this game you would have to had Argentina over Germany to consider Argentina for the finals. Yes? Have you looked at the draw?

It means exactly what it says.ARGENTINA,FRANCE,OR BRAZIL will win it all.Does that mean Germany could win today(and the statement still be true?, ...yes.)Let me simplify this for you,teacher.Now that Germany beat Argentina(actually Argentina got tighter than a virgin in January,but a win is a win,) I am saying the winner of it all is the winner of the Brazil/France game. Do you understand now? Somehow you made this match between Germany/Argentina the make or breaker,and it was not.Still got 2 teams.After tomorrow's game, one will be left of the 3 I mentioned.

brockguy
06-30-2006, 03:54 PM
I have to cheer for England here, because I love Beckham! ;)
Ruffian, I am the complete opposite. I hate the English football team especially David Beckham. The whole English media regarding the football team drives most non-englishmen nuts. They are ridiculously arrogant and its so good to see the team fail time after time. Hopefully, the trend continues tomorrow with Portugal!

Ruffian2
06-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Ruffian, I am the complete opposite. I hate the English football team especially David Beckham. The whole English media regarding the football team drives most non-englishmen nuts. They are ridiculously arrogant and its so good to see the team fail time after time. Hopefully, the trend continues tomorrow with Portugal!

Noooo!!! Although I do understand your dislike of the English team. Beckham gets most of the media spotlight, and he isn't their best player by a long shot. I'm a sucker for a bad boy, though! :cool:

BellamyRd.
06-30-2006, 07:45 PM
well Beckham was a bad boy
now his image is more of the family man
still at 34, can play a mean midfield
Winalda said Argentina should have won
but I have to think the Germs attacked <blitzkrieg>
and were far more aggresive than the Argies
perhaps Italy can oust the Germaphrodites
but well you guys are really fooling your own selves
if you think the French fries are going to
take out R & R
well they did in '98 but they were hosts
and had a better squad
I have to say I'm rooting for Portugal
over England
being Scot-Irish, and not wanting to hear God save the Queen
do they mean Elton John or The Old Lady who lives in the palace
with her son who thinks he's a tampon?

irishtrekker
07-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Ohh, that pub got quiet awfully fast this evening...I don't think anyone figured out that there were three of us in a corner silently cheering until we started sneaking out -- apparently, we weren't bereaved enough. Heartbreaker for the English -- lots of people crying in the pub, lots of very drunk people stumbling around silently on the streets.

Bring on the next round!

SCUDSBROTHER
07-01-2006, 05:41 PM
"This was a shocking exit for Brazil, the pretournament favorite. The Brazilians had just one shot on goal all game and allowed huge defensive gaps all night. Stars such as Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Kaka were either invisible or inept."....

A guy lets people call him KAKA?

BellamyRd.
07-01-2006, 07:23 PM
I would concur with that statement Scuds
Brazil seemed to lack the passion & energy
which make them great and fun to watch
not just in this match, but all tournament
as a huge fan, I'm disappointed in the result & the effort
but they were simply outplayed by the inspired French
however... I won't cry about it like Beckham
I've lost all respect for him
now I don't mind if he cried when they lost
but he cried when it was tied with almost 30 minutes left
in the match! why act defeated when you have not been?
especially when you are supposed to be one of the team's leaders
Portugal can thank him and the stupidity of Wayne Rooney
plus an awesome winner from Cristiano
for the win...hope they take it all!

pgardn
07-01-2006, 08:59 PM
"This was a shocking exit for Brazil, the pretournament favorite. The Brazilians had just one shot on goal all game and allowed huge defensive gaps all night. Stars such as Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Kaka were either invisible or inept."....

A guy lets people call him KAKA?

Ronaldo was flopping like a fish. He waited till the last 2 minutes to put effort forth. Should not have been on the field. Ronaldinho on the other hand, did everything in his power to keep Brazil in the game. He was clearly the player of the game for Brazil. He was double and triple manned most of the game and still hit some wonderful crosses for a lazy Ronaldo.

France clearly outplayed Brazil and deserves to move on. Zidane and Ribery were wonderful. Ribery would be the man of the match for me. A wonderful little skitter bug with the ball. He was loads of fun to watch, bad teeth and all.

Ruffian2
07-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Ohh, that pub got quiet awfully fast this evening...I don't think anyone figured out that there were three of us in a corner silently cheering until we started sneaking out -- apparently, we weren't bereaved enough. Heartbreaker for the English -- lots of people crying in the pub, lots of very drunk people stumbling around silently on the streets.

Bring on the next round!

Ahh, I wish I would have been there to console a few! :cool:

Bold Brooklynite
07-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Brazil ... France ... Portugal ... England ...

... four teams ... 210 minutes of "action" ...

... and exactly one goal scored.

The game is boooooorrrrriiiinnnnnggggg !!!

If every baseball game went 18 innings to a 0-0 tie ... and had to be decided by a tee-ball home run contest ... that'd be real boring too.

SentToStud
07-03-2006, 07:44 AM
Brazil ... France ... Portugal ... England ...

... four teams ... 210 minutes of "action" ...

... and exactly one goal scored.

The game is boooooorrrrriiiinnnnnggggg !!!

If every baseball game went 18 innings to a 0-0 tie ... and had to be decided by a tee-ball home run contest ... that'd be real boring too.

If you're looking for a high scoring sport, soccer's definitely not the game for you. But played at it's highest levels, it is, to most, the greatest sport in the world. A sport of tremendous nuance, athelticism and skill. And, as a spectator, it's great to watch in terms of no stops in play (commercials). Then again, there's always Arena Football (heck, I like that too).

Ruffian2
07-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Not to mention the hot players! ;)

brockguy
07-04-2006, 02:00 PM
come on the italians. they have the best defender in the world - cannavaro. game might not be the most exciting but for us aficionados, it'll be very interesting!

Ruffian2
07-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Crap, I'm cheering for Germany! But, if I'm cheering for them, that means they'll probably lose. :D

SCUDSBROTHER
07-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Germans eatin' plate of ice cold Kraut.Pgrdn,how was that(the tie-breaking goal) for execution?

brockguy
07-04-2006, 04:56 PM
unreal finish... germans nearly unbeatable in penalties.. glad the italians won it, they were the classier team..

pgardn
07-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Italians were the better team. They won. All is good. Very good defensive game by the Italians. I just wish they were not a bunch of drama queens.

I will have to go with France now. I love that little Ribery. Watch this guy, he is fantastic. Most overlooked player in this tourney. His motor is always on. With the ball he is damn fast and the ball never gets more than a foot away from him so it is almost impossible to knock it away. Great change of direction. I really like the guy. With a set of braces for his teeth, he too may have been able to date and marry a talentless girly vocalists.

Take that Beckham ya crybaby.

Bold Brooklynite
07-04-2006, 10:39 PM
A sport of tremendous nuance ...
Nuance?

Hey ... I just wanna see the ball go into the net. Isn't that the objective of all the nuance?

How about today's game ... another 0-0 beauty ... but if you stayed awake for the overtime ... you finally got to see a score.

Now that's nuance !!!

Bold Brooklynite
07-04-2006, 10:46 PM
In honor of the victory by the Azzurri ... let's all sing "Azzurro" ... OK ... a-one ... and a-two ... and a- ...

Azzurro, il pomeriggio č troppo azzurro e lungo
per me,
mi accorgo di non avere pių risorse senza di te,
e allora
io quasi quasi prendo il treno
e vengo, vengo da te,
ma il treno dei desideri,
dei miei pensieri all'incontrario va.

Sembra quand'ero all'oratorio
con tanto sole, tanti anni fa...
quelle domeniche da solo
in un cortile a passeggiar...
ora mi annoio pių di allora:
neanche un prete per chiaccherar...

Azzurro, il pomeriggio č troppo azzurro e lungo per me,
mi accorgo di non avere pių risorse senza di te,
e allora
io quasi quasi prendo il treno
e vengo, vengo da te,
ma il treno dei desideri,
dei miei pensieri all'incontrario va.

Very good ... a whole lot better than "Deutschland Uber Alles" ... isn't it?

BellamyRd.
07-05-2006, 10:36 AM
the Italian goal keeper is awesome
he's the best I've ever seen
other than Patrick Waugh (Roy)
the precision on that goal was something to behold
sorry pg but I'm rooting for Portugal 2day
they get Deco back, and France just won it in '98

pgardn
07-05-2006, 12:59 PM
the Italian goal keeper is awesome
he's the best I've ever seen
other than Patrick Waugh (Roy)
the precision on that goal was something to behold
sorry pg but I'm rooting for Portugal 2day
they get Deco back, and France just won it in '98

I was rooting for Germany because they had changed their style and had become much more exciting. I really dont care deeply now that the US is out and never had a chance. Its just such good soccer, I love to watch it. I go back and watch some of the MLS games and the play is just so much better in the world cup in comparison. And when you get the top club teams from each country squaring off, thats good stuff. Its a very difficult game to play well. So I can see why it is not so popular in the US. I would have a very hard time watching soccer from a really bad side. I root for the pretty teams. The teams with creativity and ball movement. And even though the goal scoring is down, this World Cup has been a joy to watch. And I think its because they have been so strict about tackling from behind etc...

Bold Brooklynite
07-05-2006, 04:49 PM
France/Portugal ... another contest where not one goal was scored as a result of game action.

Sorry ... I just don't get the appeal of this sport. The players are very skilled ... but the game they play is a crashing bore.

BellamyRd.
07-05-2006, 06:29 PM
this buddy of mine loved it when the baseball players went on strike in '94
he wanted them never to come back, because he couldn't stand baseball
it never made sense to me though, because all you have to do is not watch
but I s'pose I know where you are coming from
everybody used to talk about "Friends"
I tried watching it and found it totally shallow
and although I never watched, I was happy when it ended

Tonk K. was right on ESPN in saying there needs to be more scoring
because if there is not, one good flops means the match
well...I would suggest not having an offsides penalty
purists would be appalled, but I feel this would open up the game
to allow more goal opportunities

but I'll give you that today's match was kind of ho-hum...

Go Italy!

pgardn
07-05-2006, 06:35 PM
The match today was not the greatest. But these four players are fantastic to watch: Ribery, Zidane, C. Ronaldo, Figo. The French back line was tremendous today and made the game more boring for Portugal.

Ruffian2
07-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Italians were the better team. They won. All is good. Very good defensive game by the Italians. I just wish they were not a bunch of drama queens.

I will have to go with France now. I love that little Ribery. Watch this guy, he is fantastic. Most overlooked player in this tourney. His motor is always on. With the ball he is damn fast and the ball never gets more than a foot away from him so it is almost impossible to knock it away. Great change of direction. I really like the guy. With a set of braces for his teeth, he too may have been able to date and marry a talentless girly vocalists.

Take that Beckham ya crybaby.

I love it! :D