PDA

View Full Version : Horse Slaughter- Bloodhorse Article

boldruler
06-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Excellent piece in today's bloodhorse. A coward congressman named Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) is holding up the bill that bans horse slaughter. He is also the moron that is leading the ban on internet gambling.

Here is the bloodhorse article

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=33920

You can contact the guy here. You need to use a VA zip code to e-mail him but you can call or fax him at 202-225-5431 fax 202-225-9681

http://www.house.gov/goodlatte/contact.htm

Cajungator26
06-08-2006, 01:34 PM
What an idiot that guy is! That makes me so upset... I can't tell you how many debates I have gotten in with people over the horse slaughter issue. I have some videos (very graphic) that will literally make you sick over what happens in the slaughterhouses. :(

boldruler
06-08-2006, 01:46 PM
I am a registered independent and not a huge Bush fan even though I voted for him, but I was furious when members of Congress were holding up the up or down votes on his nominees. This idiot Congressman complains about not letting people have up or down votes in the Senate (where he isn't even a member) and now he is holding this up by not allowing a vote. Typical hypocrite you find in DC.

I am against horse slaughter of any kind but the way they kill horses now is barbaric. I would rather see them put a bolt in their heads before doing what they do now. This type of garbage should never be allowed in a country that was partially built by horses.

Cajungator26
06-08-2006, 01:49 PM
I am a registered independent and not a huge Bush fan even though I voted for him, but I was furious when members of Congress were holding up the up or down votes on his nominees. This idiot Congressman complains about not letting people have up or down votes in the Senate (where he isn't even a member) and now he is holding this up by not allowing a vote. Typical hypocrite you find in DC.

I am against horse slaughter of any kind but the way they kill horses now is barbaric. I would rather see them put a bolt in their heads before doing what they do now. This type of garbage should never be allowed in a country that was partially built by horses.

Agreed. There is nothing humane about the way they are killing these horses. I'm in the same boat as you regarding Bush. I'm not a huge fan, but I voted for him since I'm republican.

boldruler
06-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Agreed. There is nothing humane about the way they are killing these horses. I'm in the same boat as you regarding Bush. I'm not a huge fan, but I voted for him since I'm republican.

I personally don't like the killing of any of them. The governments, state and federal make a fortune off the industry and they should find room for these animals. However if people don't like that they should atleast listen to the standard argument that The Equine Protection Network makes:

Many horses purchased by "killer buyers" need to be euthanised. The EPN is not opposed to the horse's life ending, we are opposed to:

the method used to end the horse's life, (slaughter);

the prolonged suffering of the horse, (transport to a sale, sold, transported to holding facility, and finally transport hundreds or thousands of miles to a slaughterhouse;

Owners, dealers, auction houses, shippers, and slaughterhouses all profiting from a horse that is suffering due to sickness or injury. The EPN does not believe that irresponsible owners should profit from their irresponsible and sometimes criminal actions.

This joker in Congress is protecting companies that make money slaughtering horses. Nothing else to it.

irishtrekker
06-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the info. Makes me sick...

Cajun, I am *not* trying to spark a huge debate here (seriously!), but I'm just curious: why vote for someone just because they run on your "party" if you don't like them? A lot of mediocre candidates seem to stick around that way. I'm about as liberal as they get, but I still voted for a Republican here a couple of years ago because I agreed with him on more issues than I did the Democratic candidate. I think I voted for our secretary of state, too, or someone like that, and he's a Republican. If I really don't like either candidate, I'd rather write someone in than elect someone with whom I truly don't agree.

Cajungator26
06-08-2006, 02:00 PM
I personally don't like the killing of any of them. The governments, state and federal make a fortune off the industry and they should find room for these animals. However if people don't like that they should atleast listen to the standard argument that The Equine Protection Network makes:

Many horses purchased by "killer buyers" need to be euthanised. The EPN is not opposed to the horse's life ending, we are opposed to:

the method used to end the horse's life, (slaughter);

the prolonged suffering of the horse, (transport to a sale, sold, transported to holding facility, and finally transport hundreds or thousands of miles to a slaughterhouse;

Owners, dealers, auction houses, shippers, and slaughterhouses all profiting from a horse that is suffering due to sickness or injury. The EPN does not believe that irresponsible owners should profit from their irresponsible and sometimes criminal actions.

This joker in Congress is protecting companies that make money slaughtering horses. Nothing else to it.

No ****. That's all they care about. There are plenty of HEALTHY saveable horses that end up in slaughterhouses too. In fact, CANTER rescued a son of Favorite Trick from a kill buyer not less than two months ago. The colt had a broken cannon bone and couldn't race, but would be sound for regular riding with time. I wish I had the money to save them all...

boldruler
06-08-2006, 02:00 PM

Cajun, I am *not* trying to spark a huge debate here (seriously!), but I'm just curious: why vote for someone just because they run on your "party" if you don't like them? A lot of mediocre candidates seem to stick around that way. I'm about as liberal as they get, but I still voted for a Republican here a couple of years ago because I agreed with him on more issues than I did the Democratic candidate. I think I voted for our secretary of state, too, or someone like that, and he's a Republican. If I really don't like either candidate, I'd rather write someone in than elect someone with whom I truly don't agree.

I just want to say I voted for Bush in 2000 primarily because of his friendship with Will Farish who is a good horseman. I was out of the country in 2004 and would not have voted for him.

irishtrekker
06-08-2006, 02:01 PM
From the article, seems like they need some kind of massive campaign warning horse owners to beware of buyers who could be working for slaughterhouses. I can't imagine being some poor small-time thoroughbred owner who gets duped into selling a horse to someone who seems "nice" and then finds out the horse has been killed...

Cajungator26
06-08-2006, 02:03 PM

Irish, I couldn't STAND John Kerry. So between the two candidates, I voted my party. I try and vote within my party because I don't want a democratic congress. When you vote, you not only vote for the candidate, but the entire party. (No offense to those who are democrat on here.)

irishtrekker
06-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Fair enough.

boldruler
06-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Irish, I couldn't STAND John Kerry. So between the two candidates, I voted my party. I try and vote within my party because I don't want a democratic congress. When you vote, you not only vote for the candidate, but the entire party. (No offense to those who are democrat on here.)

John Kerry could be the most annoying person on the face of the earth. Make that the second most annoying. Donald Rumsfeld and Hillary Clinton finish in a deadheat for first.

david1025
06-08-2006, 02:11 PM
I thought Gore was bad....until Kerry!

GenuineRisk
06-08-2006, 03:03 PM
As long as the Republicans control Congress, I don't know how likely it is this legislation will pass because their first loyalty is to Big Business (as I'm sure Cajun is aware of and supports, since she is a loyal Republican-- though we're on different sides of the political fence, Caj, I LOVE that there's another female on the board who cheerfully voices her political opinions-- you can always keep them coming with me-- I never take a political argument personally). :)

That said, I don't know that this law would pass with Dems in charge-- they tend to be more progressive, but it opens up a big can of worms in terms of some animals being "more equal than others," to borrow from George Orwell. Fact is, any of us who eat factory farm meat (which is virtually all of it) are contributing to enormous amounts of animal cruelty. Directly, with our spending money.

So, in the meantime, send your some of your spending money to horse rescue operations. If you can't rescue 'em all yourselves, then at least send what you can to those places that try to. If you're not willing to back up your convictions with your money in a capitalistic society, then nothing will happen.

And then write your Congressman. :)

Exceller
06-08-2006, 03:09 PM
There isn't enough room for all the horses but they don't need to be put on trucks and slaughtered. Save as many as you can and euthanize the rest. Those slaughter houses are disgraceful.

irishtrekker
06-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Good post, GR. Hey, I'm a politically vocal female, too. Can I play? :p

Exceller
06-08-2006, 03:26 PM
As long as the Republicans control Congress, I don't know how likely it is this legislation will pass because their first loyalty is to Big Business (as I'm sure Cajun is aware of and supports, since she is a loyal Republican-- though we're on different sides of the political fence, Caj, I LOVE that there's another female on the board who cheerfully voices her political opinions-- you can always keep them coming with me-- I never take a political argument personally). :)

That said, I don't know that this law would pass with Dems in charge-- they tend to be more progressive, but it opens up a big can of worms in terms of some animals being "more equal than others," to borrow from George Orwell. Fact is, any of us who eat factory farm meat (which is virtually all of it) are contributing to enormous amounts of animal cruelty. Directly, with our spending money.

So, in the meantime, send your some of your spending money to horse rescue operations. If you can't rescue 'em all yourselves, then at least send what you can to those places that try to. If you're not willing to back up your convictions with your money in a capitalistic society, then nothing will happen.

And then write your Congressman. :)

Nothing would change if the Democrats were in power because Charles Rangel would run the House Ways and Means Committee and all of my money I contribute to horse charities would be going to an increase in my taxes. The only thing worse than religious right phonies like Ralph Reed are Democrats taking all my money so they can redistribute it to their rich friends non-profits run out of Nantucket.

Rupert Pupkin
06-08-2006, 03:54 PM
I don't like either party. I think they are both pretty bad. I have always considered the Republicans the lesser of the two evils but it's a pretty close call. That guy Bob Goodlatte is the worst. That guy is on the wrong side of every issue. I called his office and gave them a piece of my mind.

GenuineRisk
06-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Good post, GR. Hey, I'm a politically vocal female, too. Can I play? :p

Heck yeah, as far as I'm concerned! This board seems to be one of the few where both liberals and conservatives meet on a subject they both adore, and when it turns to politics, at least everyone stays friends.

Mes amis, this is a good discussion, and I have many thoughts on the last few posts, but perhaps it should be moved to the OT board? Let me know if it is-- I'm at work and need to go supervise my crew right now (which includes helping one of them into a giant penguin suit. No kidding), but I'll take a peek later on the OT board and chime in with my thoughts if it moves...

But on the basis the Medicare and bankruptcy reform stuff alone, I fail to see how anyone could think the Republicans are the lesser of two evils...

GenuineRisk
06-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Let me clarify that to the Republicans currently in seats of power. Not all Republicans. I'm sure most of you wouldn't have voted for that boneheaded Medicare bill.

Exceller
06-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Heck yeah, as far as I'm concerned! This board seems to be one of the few where both liberals and conservatives meet on a subject they both adore, and when it turns to politics, at least everyone stays friends.

Mes amis, this is a good discussion, and I have many thoughts on the last few posts, but perhaps it should be moved to the OT board? Let me know if it is-- I'm at work and need to go supervise my crew right now (which includes helping one of them into a giant penguin suit. No kidding), but I'll take a peek later on the OT board and chime in with my thoughts if it moves...

But on the basis the Medicare and bankruptcy reform stuff alone, I fail to see how anyone could think the Republicans are the lesser of two evils...

Great. Maybe we can get another Clinton and she can slash welfare benefits even more than her husband did. Both parties are cowards but I will take McCain over any Democrat any day of the week.

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-08-2006, 04:47 PM

Same here on all accounts Cajun.

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Great. Maybe we can get another Clinton and she can slash welfare benefits even more than her husband did. Both parties are cowards but I will take McCain over any Democrat any day of the week.

I like McCain.

irishtrekker
06-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Yeah, seems like this should probably move to the OT board.

I don't like Clinton and don't personally think it would be wise for her to run in 2008, but I have to say that my opinion of McCain has dropped as well. He's gone from openly decrying the religious right to speaking at their schools, and he seems to back Bush on everything even when his previous track record on a given issue indicates that he doesn't in fact share Bush's point of view. In the past, I really used to believe that he was different from other politicians. Now, I think he's pretty much the same old, same old. I'm hoping we get fresh candidates in each party who aren't long-time political veterans. Might make things more interesting.

Regarding the taxes, do you really think those tax cuts Bush keeps hammering are helping people like us out? I don't think that either party has done a good job of preventing the income gap between the upper-upper class and the rest of us from growing. How many of we "middle income" people are struggling to get by? Hell, my husband and I *should* be in a good position: we're young, we don't have debt, we have advanced degrees, and yet we've been priced out of almost every housing market in the cities where we'd like to live. I'm not blaming one party or the other for that, but I challenge you to show me actual evidence that the tax cuts are benefitting us as much as they're benefitting people who make over $250K per year. The Dems certainly aren't exonerated from blame (I'm pissed as hell at them, personally, for being so damned useless right now), but Bush isn't exactly a friend of the middle or lower class either.

If we can, let's keep having discussions like this that are civil when we start them. I like being able to talk to people who don't share my views without having things devolve into chaos! :) Off to bed for now (it's late here). Have a good night!

GenuineRisk
06-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Okay, not on OT yet, but nobody's yelling, so I guess it's okay...

I think McCain carefully crafts his "maverick" image and it has no real basis in reality. I agree with Irish-- watching him suck up to the Religious Right has been rather disheartening, especially considering the names he called some of them just a few years ago. Watching him suck up to Bush during '04, after what the Bush team pulled on him in the South Carolina primaries was mind-boggling. McCain will do anything to try to get the White House, if you ask me. In reality, he's aggressively conservative, anti-choice, and pro-business, none of which appeal to me, though for those of you who favor these, hey, he's your guy and he has to be better than Bush.

Though I do give him big props for his attempt at campaign finance (as I do Feingold, his co-sponsor on that bill).

And boy, I'm with you on the tax cut thing, Irish. Not to mention, that bill is going to come due down the road and it's going to KILL us. I'll say this for Bush Elder-- he opposed raising taxes, but when it came down to brass tacks, he did what had to be done. And got slaughtered for it, but it doesn't mean it wasn't the right thing to do at the time.

boldruler
06-09-2006, 08:39 AM
I like McCain(R) or Mark Warner (D). Either would be fine. Watch we will get stuck with George Allen and Hillary Clinton. Two more divisive people that could care less about anything except their political careers. One would be nothing without his father and the other nothing without her husband. I am for no more Bushes, Clintons, or guys who made a reputation off their fathers.