PDA

View Full Version : Horses helping Wounded Soldiers

boldruler
06-08-2006, 10:12 AM
I posted this somewhere else and some people liked it. More for the horse person than the gambler but it is pretty interesting stuff.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13110408/

Buffymommy
06-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Thank you for that story BR. What a nice thing! We do therapy riding with handicapped people at the barn I ride at. I love to watch the kids as they ride. It really is great exercise!

hoovesupsideyourhead
06-08-2006, 10:44 AM
thats a very nice article..any way to help our troops..is great and the right thing to do...please dont go postal war hating on me..

Cajungator26
06-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks for posting the link. That's a great article. :)

Exceller
06-08-2006, 11:09 AM
It is a great story. Richard Santulli who is Jayeff B Stable and a huge player in the game (owns part of Unbridled) just helped build a huge facility for wounded soldiers in Texas as part of his organization the Fallen Heroes Fund.

irishtrekker
06-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Cool article. I did therapy work for years as a volunteer and intern instructor, and it is truly amazing what therapy work can do. I've seen autistic children who never speak get up on the horse's back and start chattering away...The best part to me used to be that most of the therapy horses knew better than to act up when students were on their backs. If they grew frustrated having 3-4 people telling them what to do all at once, they'd typically nip one of us or quietly pick up a hoof and put it down on your shoe with just enough pressure to let you know that they were a little sick of the class. I have no doubt the physical and emotional benefits of hippotherapy will do wonders for some of the soldiers.

Man, I miss that stuff. Someday I'll get back into it!

boldruler
06-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Hippotherapy? That's right Hippo means Horse in Greek. What would it be called if they used hippos? :)