PDA

View Full Version : Pujols to the Halos

MaTH716
12-08-2011, 09:10 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AoDglgPwFzQydU.pxsDNSDc5nYcB?slug=ti-brown_pujols_angels_agree_terms_120811

I guess it's a bit suprising.

Coach Pants
12-08-2011, 09:14 AM
So much for a real legacy.

Bigsmc
12-08-2011, 09:18 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AoDglgPwFzQydU.pxsDNSDc5nYcB?slug=ti-brown_pujols_angels_agree_terms_120811

I guess it's a bit suprising.

Yes, but not nearly as surprising as Buehrle's theft of $58 million from the Marlins. Every baseball agent out there, that is employed by a free agent, has to be banging on the Marlins door looking to see who else they will overpay.

Smart move by Pujols going to the AL. He can prolong his career with the DH. It could have gotten ugly towards the back end of the 10yr Marlins offer with him trying to play first base.

MaTH716
12-08-2011, 09:19 AM
So much for a real legacy.

:$::$::$: > real legacy

Coach Pants
12-08-2011, 09:22 AM
:$::$::$: > real legacy
It's all about long-term money after the career is over. He's fighting over $20 million difference in a decade where a career in St. Louis with another pennant or two would arguably lead to $50 million+ in endorsements and basically being a local hero.

Bad decision, IMHO.

Antitrust32
12-08-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm with Pants on this

Albert = Lebron

MaTH716
12-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm with Pants on this

Albert = Lebron

I think that's a bad comparison, just because Pujols has some hardware with the Cardinals. Lebron left town without any of the bling that counts.

Antitrust32
12-08-2011, 10:17 AM
I think that's a bad comparison, just because Pujols has some hardware with the Cardinals. Lebron left town without any of the bling that counts.

I think that makes it even worse. why leave the place where you've won rings and are a god there? no loyalty whatsoever. at least lebron was just a god there. I personally don't think Lebron would have left cleveland if he had won some championships there. He went searching for better a better supporting cast, not more money.

the only difference for me between both disloyal athletes is at least Bron will be in his prime for the whole Miami contract.. where Pujols will most likely be a shell of his former self for the last couple years in his contract.

MaTH716
12-08-2011, 10:17 AM
And behind curtin #2..................................

http://eye-on-baseball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/33754270

Antitrust32
12-08-2011, 10:19 AM

lol. all they need now is Fielder and they have their "Dream Team"

Dahoss
12-08-2011, 10:21 AM

Lot of money to pay a guy who will likely be their number 3 starter.

MaTH716
12-08-2011, 10:26 AM
I think that makes it even worse. why leave the place where you've won rings and are a god there? no loyalty whatsoever. at least lebron was just a god there. I personally don't think Lebron would have left cleveland if he had won some championships there. He went searching for better a better supporting cast, not more money.

the only difference for me between both disloyal athletes is at least Bron will be in his prime for the whole Miami contract.. where Pujols will most likely be a shell of his former self for the last couple years in his contract.

I think Lebron would have left Cleveland in a heartbeat. His mission would have been done if he did indeed win and he could have moved on to bigger and better things.

Not sure how I feel about the Pujols situation. Deep down, I really think that if the Cards truly wanted him, they would have never left it get to this point. He's been Albert the Great for a long time now and they probably could have got this done before this past season if they really wanted to.

I guess loyalty and big buisness just do not intertwine.

MaTH716
12-08-2011, 10:27 AM
lol. all they need now is Fielder and they have their "Dream Team"

Well we all see how that's working out in Philly right now. :rolleyes: :D

MaTH716
12-08-2011, 10:30 AM
I waiting anxiously to see what the Yankees knee jerk reaction to all this will be. We all know baby doesn't like to sit in the corner. They'll probably bid a billion dollars just for the right to deal with Darvish.

Crown@club
12-08-2011, 10:41 AM
He signed with the Angels with the intent to continue to torture the Astros for the next decade starting in 2013.
:eek:

Bigsmc
12-08-2011, 10:44 AM

It's been that way for quite a while. Anybody that is an American sports fan can't be shocked that Pujols left St. Louis.

There is no loyalty in team sports.

Dahoss
12-08-2011, 10:57 AM
It's been that way for quite a while. Anybody that is an American sports fan can't be shocked that Pujols left St. Louis.

There is no loyalty in team sports.

:$::$:

Clip-Clop
12-08-2011, 12:10 PM
It's all about long-term money after the career is over. He's fighting over $20 million difference in a decade where a career in St. Louis with another pennant or two would arguably lead to $50 million+ in endorsements and basically being a local hero.

Bad decision, IMHO.

The Lou is a pit, was just there for 5 days. Not once did I see the sun. I understand his decision.

Cannon Shell
12-08-2011, 12:24 PM

Bad decision, IMHO.

$50 million in endorsements? I dont think so. Who does Pujols endorse now?

I get what you are saying about a legacy but the Angels deal was a lot better than supposedly what the Cards were offering (8 for 210) and had a no trade clause. I dont understand why people who arent fans of the team jolted get mad when guys leave for big money deals. I mean the NBA and NFL owners just locked players out because they werent making enough money and every owner is already a billionaire.

From a baseball standpoint it certainly gives the Angels the big bat in the middle of the lineup they were lacking. The Wilson signing may wind up being the more important deal for them as they now have the best rotation in the AL and his contract is pretty reasonable.

Danzig
12-08-2011, 12:27 PM
I think Lebron would have left Cleveland in a heartbeat. His mission would have been done if he did indeed win and he could have moved on to bigger and better things.

Not sure how I feel about the Pujols situation. Deep down, I really think that if the Cards truly wanted him, they would have never left it get to this point. He's been Albert the Great for a long time now and they probably could have got this done before this past season if they really wanted to.

loyalty? there's none-from either owners or players. it's not personal, it's business. fast forward several years in your mind, pujols is older, not the big player anymore...so they cut him to save the salary.
happens all the time.

Cannon Shell
12-08-2011, 12:33 PM
loyalty? there's none-from either owners or players. it's not personal, it's business. fast forward several years in your mind, pujols is older, not the big player anymore...so they cut him to save the salary.
happens all the time.

They can cut him but baseball contracts are all guaranteed. He will get paid regardless.