PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Trick and Saratoga Six

Pointg5
06-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Were both killed in a barn fire, sad...

Scav
06-07-2006, 10:55 AM
**** like this is SO sketchy....You would think that with millions of dollars in sperm there, they would have a fail safe sprinker system...THE WHOLE Stallion lineup, gone.....

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Were both killed in a barn fire, sad...

Oh no! That is horrible! I liked both of these horses! RIP:(

Cajungator26
06-07-2006, 11:09 AM
OMG... that is horrible! :( Something is fishy about that whole situation...

Horse of the Year Favorite Trick among six stallions killed in barn fire

A fire Tuesday evening at Jim and Marilyn Helzer's JEH Stallion Station in Hondo, New Mexico, claimed the lives of all six stallions at the farm, including three Thoroughbreds: 1997 Horse of the Year Favorite Trick, Grade 1 winner Saratoga Six, and Gone Hollywood.
No humans were injured in the fire, and a farm spokeswoman said at 10 a.m. MDT that no other horses on the farm—broodmares, their foals, and yearlings—suffered any injuries due to the fire or its resulting smoke.

Further details were not immediately available.

Cunningham Racing
06-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Absolutely horrible story....very sad

Cajungator26
06-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Absolutely horrible story....very sad

That's my biggest nightmare, honestly. We had a barn fire about ten years ago where I used to board my horse, and thank God we got all of the horses out in time. They were all freaked out and we had to actually blindfold a few of them to get them to leave their stalls. :(

Just thinking about this makes me nautious.

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-07-2006, 11:47 AM
That's my biggest nightmare, honestly. We had a barn fire about ten years ago where I used to board my horse, and thank God we got all of the horses out in time. They were all freaked out and we had to actually blindfold a few of them to get them to leave their stalls. :(

Just thinking about this makes me nautious.

Barn fires are horrible! The problem is that if there is any hay in the barn, it dramatically, dramatically reduces the time you have to get the horses out of your stalls. In fact, I've read somewhere that you have approximately 30 seconds to get a horse out of a stall in which there is hay before the horse suffers serious burns. That isn't much time!

Cajungator26
06-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Barn fires are horrible! The problem is that if there is any hay in the barn, it dramatically, dramatically reduces the time you have to get the horses out of your stalls. In fact, I've read somewhere that you have approximately 30 seconds to get a horse out of a stall in which there is hay before the horse suffers serious burns. That isn't much time!

We were very fortunate... we got all 7 of them out in time. Luckily, it was during the summer and the other 14 were out in the field...

slotdirt
06-07-2006, 12:04 PM
God-dangit. I hate this kind of crap.

Kasept
06-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Horrible.. RIP..

How odd is it that Pat Byrne's 2 same-day Juvenile winners die young within a week of each other? We're trying to see if he'll come on the show tonight..

zippyneedsawin
06-07-2006, 12:50 PM
True Shame... R.I.P.

:(

LARHAGE
06-07-2006, 12:54 PM

Everytime I go to friends private houses and they have hay near the barn I freak out! I keep my hay clear on the other side of my property away from the horses, same with the manure bins that can self-combust. I really liked Favorite Trick and it breaks my heart to know he was terrified before he dies, it's just not right that something like this still happens in this day and age!

Downthestretch55
06-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Very tragic,
RIP Favorite Trick, Saratoga Six,,,and the others...
Sad day, again.

DTS

Secretariat
06-07-2006, 04:13 PM
58Favorite Trick, HOY at 2, 1997

what a looker, RIP

Danzig
06-07-2006, 05:30 PM
i saw the news today at work. i was shocked, but i always am when i see news like this. you'd think that fire suppression systems would be installed in barns, especially one housing this guy. this happens far too often, wasn't it just last year that they had a fire in florida, lost at least one real good stallion....six stallions lost. unbelievable. my sympathies to the owners, and all involved. i can't imagine how horrible it is for all involved, i don't even want to think about what those poor horses went thru.

Suffolk Shippers
06-07-2006, 05:34 PM
This is very upsetting. The whole stallion string, thoroughbreds and quarterhorses, dead. You know, alot of people are up in arms making noise about what happened to Barbaro and how breeders should change and the Triple Crown should be altered to possibly prevent something like that from happening. That's all well and good if it works and is good for the game, but how about something tangible, like a superior sprinkler system, something rather simple to implement, that may have saved these animals? Sometimes you have to wonder who is in charge and what they are thinking when simple things like sprinklers seem to be overlooked.

Danzig
06-07-2006, 05:43 PM
well, we're also seeing a lot of knee jerk reactions due to barbaros injury. calls to change the tc format, calls to ban racing three year olds...and then so many want to make the leap to polycrap. like that would have kept barbaro from taking a bad step.

you know, studies have shown turf is safer than dirt. i'd rather see more racing on that, at least it's natural. no worries about problems down the line from inhaling the garbage kicking up....