PDA

View Full Version : handicapping mentors

31lengths
05-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Somebody mentioned having a hanicapping "mentor" in an earlier post. Unfortunately my only mentor is the internet and things I pick up here. However I'm fairly new at capping (3 years) and now I've become my father's "mentor".
He's been into racing for awhile but not capping. Then one day he wanted to know how I knew who was going to win? He's been hooked ever since.

Tell us about your handicapping "mentor" or who or how you got into racing/'capping.

hoovesupsideyourhead
05-28-2006, 09:18 PM
31 lenth ill get back to ya on this.,..,..you can be a good mentor or a what not to do ..mentor..its all in how you teach....you can point out the bumps in the road and say...when you step on that land mine get back to me .. or you can tell them step by step..knowlage is power in this game.
my recomendations /
read the following books./picking winners/ beyer on speed..
do many diffrent drills..dry runs..without cash
learn about the drf..to start out with..then througaph...
keep up the dry runs
make a morning line of your own..identify class..thats a start..after the basics..lwith age of the video replay ...trip handycapping and seeing things that others dont..thats an edge.that has served me well..others too im sure
be a student of the game..mikes byas notes are free money in the right situation...all you see on paper could be misleading to the whole public....and your horse walks by them as th 4th public choice..or better..so hope this helps...

SCUDSBROTHER
05-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Me Pops...........

31lengths
05-28-2006, 09:25 PM
thanks hooves. Im sure that will help.

I thought it would be interesting to hear what - or how everyone got into capping or racing .

Scav
05-28-2006, 10:06 PM
This is such an interesting INTERESTING topic. I have been gambling since I was 13, going to the track with my dad. I learned how to unload from him. I didn't start to learn how to handicap until I went to college and started going to the local Carbondale OTB. There was this older man named Roy that sat isolated from everyone else, two programs, and maybe made 4 wagers a day. I sat and talked to him for hours on end about all things. He was a WW2 vet and I am privelidged enough to hear those stories. While he didn't teach me ONE specific thing about handicapping, it was 5 years of absorbing everything he had to say about the game that I started to figure out how to handicap.

I also have learned a ton from the people around here, and I have also learned alot from hearing some people talk on TVG.

Here is the one thing that I feel is important. You don't jump into this game as a handicapper and win right away. It is one of the only sports where you can't do that. You have to take your lumps, bruises, and the pain of getting DQed or nosed before you can really RESPECT this game.

31lengths
05-28-2006, 10:29 PM
This is exactly why I created this post.

Great story, Tom.

randallscott35
05-28-2006, 10:33 PM
Self taught but I was a gambler at a young age. Mid 1990's I started getting more interested but it was hitting the super in the '98 Derby on a 24$ ticket hooked me. Spent 2 weeks trying to figure that race out. Felt as though if you put enough time in, you could do well. Then with the advent of the internet and the ability to watch as many races as you can, combined with being able to download pps and such, it just sort of snowballed from there.

Funny, you either get the racing bug or you don't I think. I don't think its something that grows on you. For some people you just like the aspect of trying to figure out a puzzle with a cash reward for the times you do. Easily the best gambling game on earth. I can't ever see myself being any less interested than I am now. I'm sure there will be times when I bet much less than I do now, b/c of other obligations, but the interest will be the same.

2MinsToPost
05-29-2006, 07:16 AM
I never made the first wager until the winter of 2002/2003. I met a Jockey's Agent at a local establishment, and a couple hours and drinks later I was ready to push a few bucks thru the window. The next day, guess where I ended up? At dawn I am on the backside hanging out with this Agent and he is introducing me to all kinds of people and I am just taking it all in. So, as Post Time for the first race draws near, we head to the simulcast room. I swear to ya on my life, he told me to box three horses in a tri in a 7 Horse Race, and low and behold it comes in and pays a little over $100. But after that race, I learned my first lesson. He said it's up to you now, learn how to read this form top and bottom and whatever you do, don't go running around the barns every morning trying to get some inside scoop. You gotta earn peoples respect first. And then the most VALUABLE lesson I have learned so far, even though I sure as heck didn't dollow it at first, was this - he told me to never bet more then 10% of your income. Truth be told I slip up on that from time to time.

Last year was when I really took to learning about this sport. I crave information like a fire craves fuel. I still stay in touch with the Agent who introduced me to this sport, but not as much as I would like since he spends most of his time out of state. The internet, and the various message boards have provided me and of course others a VALUABLE learning tool. Once one figures out who is legit and knows their business, one can learn so much by just reading and occasionaly asking questions. Something that I have been doing for some time now is taking notes from certain posters on various message boards and sites - just a simple cut and paste. It provides me with a great resource to go back on.

This subject (Mentors) is exactly why I occasionaly love to hang out at the track, to see friends and catch up on the latest news, etc.. I learn so much by just sitting their and listening, taking it all in. Ok I am rambling. Just a couple things I have learned from Mentors in the past year or so -

Dry Runs, a huge help and really sheds light on my strengths and weak points. It does, however, take some serious control to not push money thru the windows

Video Replays - I am attempting to learn "How To Watch A Race" and man o man do I have a long, long way to go

Ticket Construction - So important a lesson I am learning when it comes to Pick 3's and 4's

I could go on and on. Thank god their are people out there who have a vast amount of knowledge and who enjoy helping others who appreciate it. I know I do.

31lengths
05-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Thanks, guys...these are great posts.

31lengths
05-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Some of you posted using race replays. What's the best service to view them on?

hoovesupsideyourhead
05-29-2006, 09:40 PM
if you have a internet acct ..bris bet HAS FREE REPLAYS..dont know about express bet as they dont have ny tracks last i looked..i think some of the board guys use calracing....but they will have to chime in on that...good luck hooves..

packerbacker7964
05-29-2006, 09:48 PM
Mine is my friends dad. He taught me how to read the form and the local paper for tips and knowledge. Me and him split a 12/12 double at oaklawn one year and it hit for $1600. He wanted to bet a $5 one but we didn't.

jpops757
05-30-2006, 01:25 PM
calracing.com

31lengths
05-30-2006, 05:44 PM
Have any of you been a mentor to the sport of handicapping?

dellinger63
05-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Bill Downes Sr. A fixture at Arl and the father of Bill Downes Jr. (caller at Beulah.) Both have qualified for the NTRA Handcapping finals, Jr. twice and having cashed this past year.

Taught me to have patience and wait for the right situation to really fire. Must have learned something from him as 90% of my plays are in pic 3 and 4 bets in the range from $8-$20 total outlay. He also showed me how much training matters in the success of a horse.

Betting a 70-1 shot you only have to be right 1 of 70 times to be even.
A 1-1 shot forces you to be right every other time.

Don't want anyone puffing up but I've learned much from many of the posters on this board. So glad this is finally up and running.

2MinsToPost
05-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Bill Downes Sr. A fixture at Arl and the father of Bill Downes Jr. (caller at Beulah.) Both have qualified for the NTRA Handcapping finals, Jr. twice and having cashed this past year.

Taught me to have patience and wait for the right situation to really fire. Must have learned something from him as 90% of my plays are in pic 3 and 4 bets in the range from $8-$20 total outlay. He also showed me how much training matters in the success of a horse.

Don't want anyone puffing up but I've learned much from many of the posters on this board. So glad this is finally up and running.

ditto, well said

31lengths
05-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks for shraing your stories AND some tips. I wasn't fishing for tips but you guys were kind and selfless enough to throw some out there. Another reason this board rocks.

It really is appreaciated. I look forward hearing some of the other stories on who got others started.

zippyneedsawin
05-30-2006, 10:08 PM
i got hook when I was probably 7 or 8. I remember going to a local harness track with my grandfather and he would let me make a few $2 bets.

Dellinger is absolutely right about being patient. I don't know how many times I went to the track with plans on betting x or y horse. But, before that race came up, I ended up wasting some(most) of my bankroll on races I was just taking a stab at. By the time the race I was there to play came up, I couldn't bet it the way I wanted to because of a lack of funds. I've learned to try to get to the track/otb about an hour or less before my key race goes off. (saves me money in the long run!)