PDA

View Full Version : This might be the smartest thing...

Scav
06-06-2006, 09:02 PM
...I have ever seen on a message board.

Jerry Brown, from Thorograph's message board...

"Here's one for you-- I don't play horses, I play races. That often means playing AGAINST horses-- I would recommend that anyone who has not already take a look at the "betting guidelines" on this site. I know it is a pain in the ass, but if you actually ask yourself what you like about each race as an exercise, I think you can learn a lot, and avoid a lot of grief. Try it-- out loud."

Kasept
06-06-2006, 09:10 PM
...I have ever seen on a message board. Jerry Brown, from Thorograph's message board...

"Here's one for you-- I don't play horses, I play races. That often means playing AGAINST horses-- I would recommend that anyone who has not already take a look at the "betting guidelines" on this site. I know it is a pain in the ass, but if you actually ask yourself what you like about each race as an exercise, I think you can learn a lot, and avoid a lot of grief. Try it-- out loud."

Jerry is the smartest guy in ANY room, ANY time. Anybody would be hard-pressed to meet 3 people like him in their lives... And if you think about it, it's amazing how many people that are this bright are involved, and drawn, to racing... Brown.. Beyer.. Crist.. Weisbord.. Etc.. I guess it gets back to the "wager as puzzle" thread issues..

Scav
06-06-2006, 09:19 PM
I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him, I think I did it properly. It IMMEDIATELY stuck with me and even more so that he says he doesn't play pick threes/pick fours, which I find amazing.

The second best thing that I have come across in horse racing boards is when I was talking about doing this as a job and I was in a conversation about what I would tell the ladies....Someone told me "Just tell them you are into investing, primarily in the horse industry"....I TELL every chick that now just to get a reaction, vary results...

hoovesupsideyourhead
06-06-2006, 09:24 PM
you forgot byk in that list...hmmmmm humble you are...

oracle80
06-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Scav you might get a better reaction if you told them you were hung like one than investing in them!!

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-06-2006, 09:53 PM
I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him, I think I did it properly. It IMMEDIATELY stuck with me and even more so that he says he doesn't play pick threes/pick fours, which I find amazing.

The second best thing that I have come across in horse racing boards is when I was talking about doing this as a job and I was in a conversation about what I would tell the ladies....Someone told me "Just tell them you are into investing, primarily in the horse industry"....I TELL every chick that now just to get a reaction, vary results...

Well, you would have me hooked. Nothing is better than an educated, classy, good-looking, young man involved in the racing industry, but then again, I love race horses and good- looking, young men.

Scav
06-06-2006, 09:56 PM
LOL Jess, THE LAST THING I need is a girl that likes horses....I would be done for then....

Raysva
06-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Hail Hail I have played and this is what I do

Kasept
06-07-2006, 04:14 AM
Scavs I tell em I invest in excellence. I stole that quote from Paul Newman's character Fast Eddie Felson. Movie- The Color of Money made by the greatest Martin Scorsesse.

"If you win one more game, Vincent, you'll be humping your fist for a long time."

Carmen (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio) in "Color of Money"

Kasept
06-07-2006, 04:23 AM
As good as Color of Money is, it isn't nearly as good "The Hustler" and Newman's Oscar for it was a make up call for his NOT getting one for "The Verdict" where his performance is beyond comprehension. I also think it's well down the list of Scorsese's best...

1. The King of Comedy
2. Goodfellas
3. Raging Bull
4. Taxi Driver
5. New York, New York

Did You Know tidbit...? Scorsese and Mastrantonio have the same birthdate.. 11/17..

Kasept
06-07-2006, 04:25 AM
BTW.. I believe this is the first official "thread-jacking" that has transpired on "DT"..

Rupert Pupkin
06-07-2006, 04:31 AM
What a coincidence that you mentioned "The King of Comedy". That is where I got the name Rupert Pupkin from.

Kasept
06-07-2006, 04:38 AM
What a coincidence that you mentioned "The King of Comedy". That is where I got the name Rupert Pupkin from.

"Better to be king for a night than a schmuck for a lifetime."

Rupert Pupkin
06-07-2006, 04:43 AM
I remember that line. That was a great line. It's funny that my two favorite DiNiro movies are both comedies. My two favorites are Midnight Run and King of Comedy.

Kasept
06-07-2006, 05:31 AM
Kasept isn't it amazing how the Academy does a make-up call for all the missed oppurtunities to get it right. Cool Hand Luke certainly comes to mind as countless others to which he never won the big one for best actor.

The Academy is an embarassment. Newman could have won for about 8 different roles over the years.. Hud.. Hustler.. Cat/Tin Roof.. Luke.. Verdict.. Absence of Malice.. Butch Cassidy.. Sting.. even Slap Shot.. And they give it to him for one of his most ordinary performances.

They pulled the same stunt with Henry Fonda, making him wait until he was nearly dead before giving him a statue. If there's a better performance in American Cinema than Fonda's Tom Joad in 'Grapes of Wrath', I haven't seen it. The award went to Jimmy Stewart that year for one of my absolute favorite films, The Philadelphia Story.. But in that, Cary Grant STOLE the picture from him with about half as much screen time. And the picture belongs to Kate Hepburn anyway.. AND SHE LOST TOO! (To Ginger Rogers! for the forgettable 'Kitty Foyle')

And Fonda made another dozen award quality turns between that (1940) and Golden Pond (1981).. How does he not win for Mister Roberts?.. or Fail Safe? or The Tin Star? or 12 Angry Men?

They are dicking Scorsese around as well. Let's see.. He made arguably one of the best films of the 70's: Mean Streets.. 2 of the best films of the 80's: Raging Bull and King/Comedy.. the best film of the 90's: Goodfellas.. possibly one of the best of the 00's: Aviator.. And STILL no Oscar..

The Oscars are a joke..

ArlJim78
06-07-2006, 07:38 AM
Sorry, I don't know what happened to this thread, but someone mentioned Fonda in The Grapes of Wrath. That movie is a treasure and his performance was mesmorising. Also the woman that played his mother was fantastic. A very accurate and moving portrayal of the events of the time.

SCUDSBROTHER
06-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Jerry is the smartest guy in ANY room, ANY time. Anybody would be hard-pressed to meet 3 people like him in their lives... And if you think about it, it's amazing how many people that are this bright are involved, and drawn, to racing... Brown.. Beyer.. Crist.. Weisbord.. Etc.. I guess it gets back to the "wager as puzzle" thread issues..

I think it is simply about guys making $$ off those who like to solve puzzles. Just common parasites.

Kasept
06-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Sorry, I don't know what happened to this thread, but someone mentioned Fonda in The Grapes of Wrath. That movie is a treasure and his performance was mesmorising. Also the woman that played his mother was fantastic. A very accurate and moving portrayal of the events of the time.

Jim,

That would have been me who mentioned Fonda in "Wrath".. Ma Joad was played by the incomparable Jane Darwell, whose career in cinema pre-dated sound.. She made more than 100 films and was a treasure.

Her career was largely over and she had been generally forgotten in Hollywood when Robert Stevenson thoughtfully cast her in "Mary Poppins" in 1964. Even there, she managed to make a short appearance memorable during the most touching sequence in that wonderful confection: She played the "Birdwoman" in Trafalgar Square during Andrews' rendition of "Feed the Birds"... It was the last role of her six decades as an actress.

She is haunting in Grapes of Wrath..

"Rich fellas come up an' they die, an' their kids ain't no good an' they die out. But we keep a'comin'. We're the people that live. They can't wipe us out; they can't lick us. We'll go on forever, Pa, 'cause we're the people."

oracle80
06-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Quite frankly he was great in On Golden Pond. I always loved the scene where the kid Billy uses the word bullshit. Fonda's character says to the Kid "you like that word don't you?" pauses and says "It's a good word" and walks away.

Skip away
06-07-2006, 09:35 AM
On Golden Pond was a very nice movie. Always my Dad's favorite movie growing up. Must have watched this 10 times. :rolleyes:

Cajungator26
06-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Well, you would have me hooked. Nothing is better than an educated, classy, good-looking, young man involved in the racing industry, but then again, I love race horses and good- looking, young men.

I like em older too... :D

oracle80
06-07-2006, 10:20 AM
I like em older too... :D
LOL!! Great to know!

ArlJim78
06-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Jim,

That would have been me who mentioned Fonda in "Wrath".. Ma Joad was played by the incomparable Jane Darwell, whose career in cinema pre-dated sound.. She made more than 100 films and was a treasure.

Her career was largely over and she had been generally forgotten in Hollywood when Robert Stevenson thoughtfully cast her in "Mary Poppins" in 1964. Even there, she managed to make a short appearance memorable during the most touching sequence in that wonderful confection: She played the "Birdwoman" in Trafalgar Square during Andrews' rendition of "Feed the Birds"... It was the last role of her six decades as an actress.

She is haunting in Grapes of Wrath..

"Rich fellas come up an' they die, an' their kids ain't no good an' they die out. But we keep a'comin'. We're the people that live. They can't wipe us out; they can't lick us. We'll go on forever, Pa, 'cause we're the people."

Haunting absolutely. Yep that's the speech in the movie that really really moves me! She embodied the tough spirit of the southwest. My grandparents were okies and were children during the time of the dust bowl and the Jane Darwell character reminds me of my grandmother. The entire scene with her and Tom Joad talking at the end before he leaves is riveting and great writing.

For example, Tom Joad "Then it don't matter. I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready, and when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too. "

Kasept
06-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Haunting absolutely. Yep that's the speech in the movie that really really moves me! She embodied the tough spirit of the southwest. My grandparents were okies and were children during the time of the dust bowl and the Jane Darwell character reminds me of my grandmother. The entire scene with her and Tom Joad talking at the end before he leaves is riveting and great writing.

For example, Tom Joad "Then it don't matter. I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready, and when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too. "

A/J,

True enough.. It's tough to beat that Steinbeck guy for dialouge! His book was adapted by the deft and brilliant Nunnally Johnson, who also either adapted, wrote or directed 'Man in the Grey Flannel Suit', 'Three Faces of Eve' and many, many more... 'The Dirty Dozen' too!

Amazing that your kin were Dust Bowl Okies.. Hardscrabble upbringing is an invaluable asset for the following generations.. My father and his mother came here from Vienna in '39, literally with $10 each.. That's all the Nazis allowed them to leave Austria with..

Danzig
06-07-2006, 08:19 PM
i know you're talking movies, but john steinbeck was mentioned....

his 'east of eden' is a work of art. that man was an incredible author. i read grapes of wrath again just a few months ago. of mice and men one of the best short stories ever. i enjoy his, nabokov, and dh lawrences shorts the best.

ArlJim78
06-07-2006, 08:42 PM
i know you're talking movies, but john steinbeck was mentioned....

his 'east of eden' is a work of art. that man was an incredible author. i read grapes of wrath again just a few months ago. of mice and men one of the best short stories ever. i enjoy his, nabokov, and dh lawrences shorts the best.

Love the Steinbeck short stories. Read most of the back in school but what I should do is revisit them again. Of mice and men would be my favorite.

Dunbar
06-08-2006, 03:17 AM

Great tidbit, kasept. I've forgotten 99% of the movie scenes I've seen, but that little piece from Mary Poppins was wonderful.

Likewise with that quote from Tom Joad, ArlJim. It's been decades since I read Grapes of Wrath, but those lines are still fresh in my mind, while most books I read last year are entirely forgotten.

--Dunbar