PDA

View Full Version : summer in saratoga

brockguy
06-06-2006, 08:43 PM
lads as many of ye know, im from ireland. Im hoping to spend the summer in the states ( I spent 3 months working in Hyannis MA last year!). I would love to spend it living and working in saratoga as i hear its a lovely city with a great racecourse. Anyway, im just trying to finalise my visa details now(might not get it-as its late). But i am just wondering, if anyone from around the area knows of any summer employment and/or accomodation available, id really appreciate it. You can email me directly at beeforsalmon@yahoo.com if you wish. Take it steady!

Kasept
06-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Brock!

Thrilled that you joined.. A pleasure that you're here. (For those unaware, Brock rivals only Somer in longevity on the ESPY Board... The 'Danehill' of posters..)

Drop me a note on the PM system or by Email and we'll see what can be done! Are you looking for something horse-related? Or something else? Let me know...

Steve

NoCarolinaTony
06-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Steve,

Are you planning to do the TG seminars again plus manning the Carlolina Cue stand? Once again plan to visit Early and end of meet. what is the best way to get communicate with you these days? email?

Let me know, been wanting to speak to you on various topics.

Thanks,
NC Tony

pgardn
06-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Just to let some of you know.
Mermaid and I are doing some preplanning to see if we can get to Saratoga this summer.

hoovesupsideyourhead
06-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Just to let some of you know.
Mermaid and I are doing some preplanning to see if we can get to Saratoga this summer.
sweet if enough of you guys go ill go to and dell also

pgardn
06-09-2006, 04:33 PM
sweet if enough of you guys go ill go to and dell also

We gotta see what week, a timing issue. Men with families and all that rot. But I really want to go in a bad way. I just want to see such a fine track.

GPK
06-10-2006, 06:50 AM
The girlfriend and I are trying to work out us coming up to Toga this year. Im thinking somewhere toward the end of July.

pgardn
06-11-2006, 09:56 PM
The girlfriend and I are trying to work out us coming up to Toga this year. Im thinking somewhere toward the end of July.

Thats about when I would like to go, so that could be fun. You seem to be a very interesting bloke. But I dont have a girlfriend. So if we do happen to meet up at the same time Kev, I would ask that you keep the exchange of saliva and other bodily fluids to a minimum.

Suffolk Shippers
06-11-2006, 10:13 PM
lads as many of ye know, im from ireland. Im hoping to spend the summer in the states ( I spent 3 months working in Hyannis MA last year!). I would love to spend it living and working in saratoga as i hear its a lovely city with a great racecourse. Anyway, im just trying to finalise my visa details now(might not get it-as its late). But i am just wondering, if anyone from around the area knows of any summer employment and/or accomodation available, id really appreciate it. You can email me directly at beeforsalmon@yahoo.com if you wish. Take it steady!

Brock, hope you enjoyed Hyannis. I had a summer place not far from there in Yarmouthport. The Irish visitors have always made the summer fun on the Cape!!! Especially, the red headed chickies :rolleyes: . If you have no luck up in 'Toga and you're on the Cape, please feel welcome over my place sometime. Goes for anyone on the board (depending on how much I have had to drink ;) ).

GPK
06-12-2006, 12:28 AM
Thats about when I would like to go, so that could be fun. You seem to be a very interesting bloke. But I dont have a girlfriend. So if we do happen to meet up at the same time Kev, I would ask that you keep the exchange of saliva and other bodily fluids to a minimum.

Interesting??? Yeah...that and a whole lot more would describe me. No worries though Patrick, im not into vouyerism:eek:

Seattleallstar
06-12-2006, 04:02 PM
kev, you got a girl? when did this happen

GenuineRisk
06-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Kev and others, if you do plan a trip up, let us know? My riding buddy and I have talked about going up for two years now, but it would be even more fun to go at the same time as some other Trail folks.

My husband is out of town for ten weeks this summer, doing a play in Ohio, so I can indulge my racing sickness to the fullest. Proving there really is a silver lining to every cloud.

paisjpq
06-14-2006, 05:33 PM
all of you --if you don't mind one more, I live in VT and go most sundays (it's my only day off) love to meet some other like minded.

brockguy
06-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Brock, hope you enjoyed Hyannis. I had a summer place not far from there in Yarmouthport. The Irish visitors have always made the summer fun on the Cape!!! Especially, the red headed chickies :rolleyes: . If you have no luck up in 'Toga and you're on the Cape, please feel welcome over my place sometime. Goes for anyone on the board (depending on how much I have had to drink ;) ).

Suffolk man, yeah i loved hyannis last year, really nice, the people are spot on! Went down to west Yarmouth a few times, i liked it..
Wasnt able to get visa for summer(well could have but not til end of july!) so will be visiting the states rather than working there this summer.

GPK
06-14-2006, 07:27 PM
kev, you got a girl? when did this happen

hard to believe aint it Jer??? Its been going on over a month....I kept it quite for a little bit.

Gander
06-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Kev:
I give this girl 3, maybe 4 close losing photos at the track and shes a gonner! She'll be out of your life faster than Anew shot out of that gate the other day.

Do not take this gurl to the racetrack. Stay home and bake cookies with her and go on long walks on the beach. Thats a recipe for it working out!

GPK
06-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Kev:
I give this girl 3, maybe 4 close losing photos at the track and shes a gonner! She'll be out of your life faster than Anew shot out of that gate the other day.

Do not take this gurl to the racetrack. Stay home and bake cookies with her and go on long walks on the beach. Thats a recipe for it working out!

She is more excited about going than I am Tim. Its all she is talking about.

GenuineRisk
06-14-2006, 10:23 PM
She is more excited about going than I am Tim. Its all she is talking about.

I like her already!

GPK
06-15-2006, 05:46 AM
I like her already!

The question is, is she still gonna like me after Saturday?

Gander
06-15-2006, 08:26 AM
"She is more excited about going than I am Tim"

She has no idea what she is getting herself into. Just dont throw change in her face when she laughs after you lose a close photo. I did that once, but it worked out for the best as the girl turned out to be a two timing tramp. It was the best photo I have ever lost in my life.

ddthetide
06-16-2006, 05:49 AM
forgive my lateness to this thread but i found it at a good time.
my wife and i were talking about going to the travers. it would be our first visit to the area in general. any suggestion on lodging? she thinks saratoga is to expensive, so the idea was put on hold.
thanks in advance fo any help.

paisjpq
06-16-2006, 06:45 AM
my wife and i were talking about going to the travers. it would be our first visit to the area in general. any suggestion on lodging? she thinks saratoga is to expensive, so the idea was put on hold.
This close to the Travers you will be lucky to find ANY available rooms at ANY price. I booked my hotel room in Feb. also every area hotel/motel/BB tends to drastically inflate their prices during the meet so it is expensive. As I stated earlier inthis thread the best time IMO to visit is during the first/second week in August when the yearling sale is in full swing, but again hard to find a room with all the buyers and consignors in the hotels. Best of luck...

Exceller
06-16-2006, 08:57 AM

Don't waste your money on Travers weekend. Highway robbery. You could go to next years derby for the same price. You couldn't get anything now anyway and you lose all the feel for Saratoga on Travers weekend. Too many people for that little space.

ddthetide
06-16-2006, 10:41 AM
thanks for the input.

Gander
06-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Depends on whether or not you can get a seat of some sort. If you cant find a seat to sit in all day, I would agree with Exceller. Its a very long, usually very hot day if you stand. You dont necessarily have to get a reserved seat in the clubhouse, you could get a picnic table or a seat at Steve's barbecue. That would make the day very doable.

Downthestretch55
06-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Just my experience...
I love Toga on the big weekends. I park myself on a folding chair near the paddock and watch the races on the big screen.
My preference is to go during the week.
Much less stress, very good cards. So much more "laid back".
Take a walk over to the OK training track early, walk through the barns, no rush, no fuss....
Such a nice racing venue, all the charm, history.
Take the time to immerse yourself into the old fashioned style of "horse racing". The best horses will show up, just because it's Toga.
Go during a weekday.
DTS

Downthestretch55
06-17-2006, 02:22 PM
A Saratoga pic...thanks to Barbara Livingston. It says what it's about...

http://www.barbaralivingston.com/gallery/ontrack/Saratoga_Daybreak

2 Dollar Bill
06-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Will be making another trip to the SHRINE again this August. Last year staying in Vermont, we made the short trip to the Spa... Happen to be the First Wednesday of August... First two races.. Steeplechase... and as Steve say.(.Just walked in five minutes before the first race.) I took a two dollar box of the (two longshots )...4 +5.. which returned a $300.00+ exacta..What a way to start in my FIRST trip to the spa !!!!... Got to love when the favs. fall over the fences...LOL

Gander
06-20-2006, 12:19 PM
Nice pic DTS. This is what I see most mornings during the meet, I am very lucky for that.

Downthestretch55
06-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Tim,
Thank Barbara Livingston for the pic...I just put it up because it says so much about what Toga is to me.
I hope to meet up with you this summer.
btw, just got back from the farm. They're putting up hay (smells so nice).
The yearling fillies are looking good. The colt was stretching his legs in the pasture, he'll be good (grand dad is Dayjur).
And now...the "fly season" begins....ugggghhh. I hate it as much as the horses.
DTS

Gander
06-20-2006, 04:00 PM
You will meet me, count on it! 5 weeks from tomorrow is opening day.
I have that whole week off and live 1/2 mile away, it will be hard to miss me. :o

pgardn
06-20-2006, 11:39 PM
You will meet me, count on it! 5 weeks from tomorrow is opening day.
I have that whole week off and live 1/2 mile away, it will be hard to miss me. :o

STop it.

I just soiled myself. Man I want to make it up there. So bad...