PDA

View Full Version : Your most successful Breeders' Cup

NTamm1215
10-14-2010, 08:32 PM
With the Cup around the corner, and with some mentions of some people's success in 2007 in another thread, what were your most successful Breeders' Cups from a wagering standpoint?

GPK
10-14-2010, 08:36 PM
With the Cup around the corner, and with some mentions of some people's success in 2007 in another thread, what were your most successful Breeders' Cups from a wagering standpoint?

Most successful - 2008 (Thanks Maram:tro:)
Biggest ass kicking - Lone Star Park (I missed every race that day)

Dahoss
10-14-2010, 08:42 PM
For some reason I've had success when the BC is at Churchill and Belmont and very little success when it's been held everywhere else. 1994 was a good year as well as 1998, thanks to Da Hoss. 2001 was pretty good thanks to Imperial Gesture and Banks Hill. Would have been my best year ever if Victor Espinoza doesn't move a furlong too early on Spain. Intercontinental made 2005 and would have been a monster day if Taste of Paradise finds room midstretch.

On the other end I think I went 0 for the day in 1997, 1999 and 2002.

ateamstupid
10-14-2010, 08:51 PM
2004, but it could've been way better. A decent sized win bet on Singletary got me going and I was live in the early Pick 4 to Midas Eyes and Kela, the latter of which came flying late to get 2nd behind Speightstown. I also played a straight Kitten's Joy/Ghostzapper double 80 times. Goddamn Better Talk Now.

lord007
10-14-2010, 08:52 PM
STARINE!!!!! Loved that freakin horse:tro::tro::$::$:

randallscott35
10-14-2010, 08:53 PM
05 and 02 were helpful.

Indian Charlie
10-14-2010, 08:57 PM

Thirty Slews
Eliza
Gilded Time
AP Indy
Paseana

I missed on the two turf races, though it was the exacta I missed in the mile.

GPK
10-14-2010, 09:00 PM
05 and 02 were helpful.

Pleasant Home:$::$:

freddymo
10-14-2010, 09:13 PM

Intercontinental loose on lead with the bit free in her mouth .. I floated home............what Belt pkway?

freddymo
10-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Allday everyday........huh?

GPK
10-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Allday everyday........huh?

Huh?:confused: You lost me...not that it takes much.

freddymo
10-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Huh?:confused: You lost me...not that it takes much.
Pleasant Home improved a lot that nasty cold day at Belmont wondering if Dr feel fine cares to share?

GPK
10-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Pleasant Home improved a lot that nasty cold day at Belmont wondering if Dr feel fine cares to share?

She clearly got a better set up that day.

blackthroatedwind
10-14-2010, 09:25 PM
1995 and 2006.

freddymo
10-14-2010, 09:28 PM
She clearly got a better set up that day.

Yep..The horse I bet was the winner because she got a great set up...Thx Allday everyday..you made a 8k pik 4 possible

GPK
10-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Yep..The horse I bet was the winner because she got a great set up...Thx Allday everyday..you made a 8k pik 4 possible

I didn't bet the horse. I just know that Randall did and remember him touting her for a good month before the BC that year, especially in light of the set up she had in the Spinster and running against the bias at Keeneland that day.

philcski
10-14-2010, 09:56 PM
2006, 2003, 2004, and 1998 were all very good.

2005 and 2007 were very bad.

Every other one was a mix ending up relatively close to even. The last two have been very low handle for me.

RockHardTen1985
10-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Last year was for me by far. Furthest Land was an A for me, Zenyatta was one of only 2 I used with QR, so I got conso on the pick 3's. Midnight Lute was a loan A. It was pretty good.

dylbert
10-14-2010, 10:09 PM
2008 was outstanding for me -- mostly through first day score with Maram. Whereas, last year was total debacle. Hope Churchill Downs proves profitable on November 5 & 6...

tanner12oz
10-14-2010, 11:13 PM
st liam and ouija board were my biggest wins

worst was last year playing against zenyatta

tanner12oz
10-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Intercontinental loose on lead with the bit free in her mouth .. I floated home............what Belt pkway?

that was a good horse and another nice score for me

The Indomitable DrugS
10-14-2010, 11:47 PM
2009, 2004, 2008, 2002 were all big BC's for me.

2007 was easily the most bitter one for me. John Murtagh not riding Dylan Thomas out and losing a dead tight photo for 4th place cost me $6,000 in a TVG contest.

The same day, Hystericalady (9/1) was easily my biggest bet of the entire day - and Ginger Punch came skating up the inside to beat her. I also posted here in a thread right before the Breeders Cup that my "best bet" for that years BC was a cold trifecta of Midnight Lute over Idiot Proof over Benny The Bull in the BC Sprint. The Midnight Lute-Idiot Proof exacta paid $50 - my attempt to kill the world failed when Benny The Bull was 4th at 7/1 .. Talent Search held him off for 3rd. He beats TS in the DeFrancis next out - and is champion sprinter the following year. In that years Classic, my whole entire bet was a trifecta keying Street Sense in the 3rd spot and using only Curlin, Hard Spun and Lawyer Ron in positions 1 and 2. That bet looked as good as gold on the turn .. but Street Sense somehow was caught for 3rd very late by Awesome Gem. The Curlin over Hard Spun exacta paid over $70 - so it wasn't a measly miss like some might now think.

I ended up winning $1,500 for 2nd in the contest and having a not so bad betting day but was way more miserable than I ever was in years like 2000 when I missed everything and had a really horrid read on a few races.

Indian Charlie
10-15-2010, 12:17 AM

2007 was easily the most bitter one for me. John Murtagh not riding Dylan Thomas out and losing a dead tight photo for 4th place cost me $6,000 in a TVG contest.

The same day, Hystericalady (9/1) was easily my biggest bet of the entire day - and Ginger Punch came skating up the inside to beat her. I also posted here in a thread right before the Breeders Cup that my "best bet" for that years BC was a cold trifecta of Midnight Lute over Idiot Proof over Benny The Bull in the BC Sprint. The Midnight Lute-Idiot Proof exacta paid $50 - my attempt to kill the world failed when Benny The Bull was 4th at 7/1 .. Talent Search held him off for 3rd. He beats TS in the DeFrancis next out - and is champion sprinter the following year. In that years Classic, my whole entire bet was a trifecta keying Street Sense in the 3rd spot and using only Curlin, Hard Spun and Lawyer Ron in positions 1 and 2. That bet looked as good as gold on the turn .. but Street Sense somehow was caught for 3rd very late by Awesome Gem. The Curlin over Hard Spun exacta paid over $70 - so it wasn't a measly miss like some might now think.

I ended up winning $1,500 for 2nd in the contest and having a not so bad betting day but was way more miserable than I ever was in years like 2000 when I missed everything and had a really horrid read on a few races.

Oh please.

I listened to you on Dylan Thomas instead of going with my gut and using Kip. That cost me 6k in that stupid contest.

You more than made up for it with your ghastly good luck in the 2009 contest again edging me out for the win. The only reason Papa Clem got slammed in the Derby was to preserve your win.

Or the jock gearing down on that turf horse in the race before that. Nice that he came back and won a g1 next out at a big price.

That was a bad beat with DT at least.

Indian Charlie
10-15-2010, 12:25 AM
And don't even get me started with Precious Kitten that year in the BC.

I thought for sure when she was assassinated in her race that you were a lock to win.

I felt like puking after the filly and mare turf.

The Indomitable DrugS
10-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Oh please.

I listened to you on Dylan Thomas instead of going with my gut and using Kip. That cost me 6k in that stupid contest.

It only cost you because DT didn't finish in the top 4 and Kip Deville happened to win.

Only a complete tard would have neglected using Dylan Thomas and used Kip Deville with multi moves available and in your position at that time - in a contest that rewards nothing for odds. It's like you're blaming me for not being an all-out tard.

The Indomitable DrugS
10-15-2010, 12:37 AM
And don't even get me started with Precious Kitten that year in the BC.

I thought for sure when she was assassinated in her race that you were a lock to win.

I felt like puking after the filly and mare turf.

Precious Kitten was every bit as retarded a move as Kip Deville.

Kip Deville was 8/1 in a 13 horse field
Dylan Thomas was 4/5 in a 7 horse field

The big leader and eventual narrow winner for some monumentally idiotic reason decided not to use DT and instead used Proud Spell in the Juv Fillies. You had to gain on him - I had to gain on him - only you would think the best way to make up big ground on a complete idiot would be to act like an even bigger idiot.

Indian Charlie
10-15-2010, 12:37 AM
It only cost you because DT didn't finish in the top 4 and Kip Deville happened to win.

Only a complete tard would have neglected using Dylan Thomas and used Kip Deville with multi moves available and in your position at that time - in a contest that rewards nothing for odds. It's like you're blaming me for not being an all-out tard.

I'm not blaming you at all. I'm blaming myself for being an idiot.

My thinking was that I was going to get points with Precious Kitten and one of the juvenille runners, neither of which you or that other wop guy had.

Since the mile to me was a complete clusterfukk, I went with DT in an easier spot to score points. Especially since the other guy didn't have DT either. I felt that Kip was the most logical horse in the mile, but that the mile was a much more difficult race due to field size and how open it was for the win.

What really made me mad at myself though was that I kept saying for 3 months before that that DT is the single most overrated horse in Europe in like 10 years, and I ended up using him.

I don't know why you keep thinking I blamed you for my own dumb move.

Indian Charlie
10-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Precious Kitten was every bit as retarded a move as Kip Deville.

Kip Deville was 8/1 in a 13 horse field
Dylan Thomas was 4/5 in a 7 horse field

The big leader and eventual narrow winner for some monumentally idiotic reason decided not to use DT and instead used Proud Spell in the Juv Fillies. You had to gain on him - I had to gain on him - only you would think the best way to make up big ground on a complete idiot would be to act like an even bigger idiot.

Dude, I had Precious Kitten for the duration of the contest. With the idea that she was the horse most likely to improve the most over the course of the summer and into the fall. Thus, score a lot of points that few others would have. Should I have dropped her for the BC? It's idiotic to think she would not have scored points in that race had she not beein assassinated.

The Indomitable DrugS
10-15-2010, 12:44 AM
What really made me mad at myself though was that I kept saying for 3 months before that that DT is the single most overrated horse in Europe in like 10 years, and I ended up using him.

I don't know why you keep thinking I blamed you for my own dumb move.

Who cares if he was the single most overrated horse? He was the better move. Obviously.

That can still be said after the fact - even though he finished 5th of 8 at Kip Deville won a total scramble.

If you were in a hopeless position - yeah, using Kip and not using DT would have been a somewhat rational move as that could have leapfrogged you in the money. From 3rd though, with differences against me, and the leader not using DT ... you merely did what any sane person would do.

Indian Charlie
10-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Who cares if he was the single most overrated horse? He was the better move. Obviously.

That can still be said after the fact - even though he finished 5th of 8 at Kip Deville won a total scramble.

If you were in a hopeless position - yeah, using Kip and not using DT would have been a somewhat rational move as that could have leapfrogged you in the money. From 3rd though, with differences against me, and the leader not using DT ... you merely did what any sane person would do.

Yeah, that's the part that gets me. If that dunce had used DT, I have no problem going with Kip instead.

It just made no sense that he didn't use DT!

In all the scenarios in my head leading up to the final day, not a one did I imagine him not using DT. I think that is why I was so flummoxed the night before.

Too bad I didn't have multiple entries, huh?

The Indomitable DrugS
10-15-2010, 01:09 AM
Yeah, that's the part that gets me. If that dunce had used DT, I have no problem going with Kip instead.

It just made no sense that he didn't use DT!

ESPN could do an entire 30 for 30 series show on how that guy won. He kept pulling rabbits out of his ass - and almost pissed away a gigantic lead despite the monumental lunacy of not using DT while leading on the last day.

Too bad there was no such contest of any kind ending on BC day of '09.

My worst Breeders Cup's from a betting standpoint always seem to be at Churchill. I hope that trend doesn't continue.

Indian Charlie
10-15-2010, 01:15 AM
My worst Breeders Cup's from a betting standpoint always seem to be at Churchill. I hope that trend doesn't continue.

Didn't you kill them in 2000, the year I went with Pit and hooked up with Tector and Roger1807 at the BC?

I thought you nailed the sprint pretty good, and went pretty wide open in the distaff, with your prediction that Riboletta was going to break down in the race and not finish.

The Indomitable DrugS
10-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Didn't you kill them in 2000, the year I went with Pit and hooked up with Tector and Roger1807 at the BC?

I thought you nailed the sprint pretty good, and went pretty wide open in the distaff, with your prediction that Riboletta was going to break down in the race and not finish.

No and No.

My brilliant stand against Riboletta was wasted with Lukas running 1-2 and Spain winning.

Your star Macho Uno held off Point Given.

I had a few nice bet againsts that year - but I really sucked that day.

Remember when we put the P6 ticket together in 2001 - and those guys used my poor BC record against me?

jms62
10-15-2010, 04:45 AM
2008 and 2009 were very good. Set a 200 budget per race to play P3's with 1 very deep ticket per for about 100 and 100 with more isolated tickets. Hit a 5K and 1K in 2008 and another 1K in 2009, Still broken up missing the totally gettable Vale of York and the 6K P3 (Euro First Lasix, Hockey's contest pick).

Worst by far was Monmouth where I totally overhandicapped for the conditions. I was too caught up in Wet Pedigree instead of simply focusing on who was the best horses in the race..

hoovesupsideyourhead
10-15-2010, 06:02 AM
last year ok hitting the mig down the hill at sa
monmouth bad was working and didnt cap well
belmont was great and like hoss taste of paradise would have made me well
singletary killed my pick 6 j spencer ran up his ass on anonus plius.who i also had bet wps/pick 3s ect ..
churchill good ivasor beating bern was upsetting but wolfson turf win was great.
arl park was good

2010?

golfer
10-15-2010, 06:11 AM
2005, caught half of the late pick 4 ending with St Liam for $8500. Needed the NZ Starcraft for over 100K:( He loomed boldly at the top of the stretch before retreating (at least that's the way I remember it).

booner
10-15-2010, 06:33 AM
I started playing the BC in 2004 and have only had one winning year. The rest were disasters.

2006 was my only winning year. Win bet on Maryfield in the F&M Sprint, and also singled her in the Pick 3. A large win bet on English Channel on Day 2 also helped.

randallscott35
10-15-2010, 07:39 AM

Have a nice framed 16X20 of her in my bedroom. :{>:

Travis Stone
10-15-2010, 07:44 AM
The same day, Hystericalady (9/1) was easily my biggest bet of the entire day - and Ginger Punch came skating up the inside to beat her.

This is one of the worst memories I have in gambling. Jerry Baird gave Ginger Punch the rail going down the backstretch and that was it. If she goes wide, I think Hystericalady beats her. Oh well.

Gate Dancer
10-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Two of my most successful years were early on but still my favorites:

1986 --- Manila

1988 --- Gulch with Play The King (exacta)

More recently in 2006 when Invasor drilled Bernardini was the highlight of a nice day.

lemoncrush
10-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Funny story from 2004 when I was in Las Vegas for the Cup, which was only my second breeders cup that I wagered on, and as I was still relatively new to the game I was betting pretty conservatively.

With about 5 Minutes to Post to the BC Sprint, I made a small $1 PK 3 bet singling Speightstown and Ouija Board and talking ALL in the juvy (2-5-All).

As I walked back to my seat, I looked at my ticket, and realized the teller had punched a Trifecta bet instead of a PK 3 (2-5-all). It caught my eye at first because it was an $11 bet, and the PK 3 should have only been $9 (juvy field was small that year).

So, I raced up there and changed my ticket just before the race goes off. Once the race finishes, I see that it came in 2-6 (Speighstown and Kela, two favorites) and as I looked to see who was third, my worst fear was realized when My Cousin Matt clunked up at a huge price. I quickly realize I just canceled a 2-6-all trifecta that paid around $1200 or $1300 for a $1.

Fortunately, Oujia Board won the F/M turf and the unremarkable Wilko won the BC juvy at a huge price, so the PK3 did pay nice (around $500 I think), and since that was my intended bet all along, I didn't really let it bother me all that much.

But ever since, I've always been hesitant to cancel a mis-keyed ticket before a race, especially smaller ones. :)

Capote3
10-15-2010, 08:00 AM

At the Danville, IL OTB with 2 MTP and long lines at the windows, my dad (who has corrupted me) says..."If the 11 ever gets the lead, nobody will catch him". He got up, said "son go play a 1 (Bertrando)-11 (Arcangues) Exacta Box" then he ran to the window. I looked at my tickets and saw I had $5 on the 11 to Place and decided not to stand in line (I was a lazy 22 yr old with a cold beer in front of me).

Well, Dad made it to window and played the following:

$10 Win on 11
$5 Ebox 1,11
$2 Tri 1-11 w 1-11 w All

It was, without a doubt, the worst 45 minute drive home I have ever had. I am sick to my stomach even as I write this darn post.

I will be front and center this year to try and make amends.......

Sightseek
10-15-2010, 08:32 AM
The first day last year.

Worst play evah?

2006 Classic - trifecta key of Bernardini / Invasor / Premium Tap, Giacomo, Brother Derek :(

parsixfarms
10-15-2010, 08:35 AM
1992, 1999, 2002, 2006.

Thunder Gulch
10-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Last year made up for being shut out in 2008...Vale of York and Dancing in Silks blew up the dime supers where I was going deep, and then spreading really deep I caught prices behind a key on Goldlikova....my entire strategy changed last year after reading an article by James Quinn who encouraged playing the verticals with logical horses at huge prices. Before that, I was stuck on trying to catch Pick 3's and Pick 4's. Go back and look at how the payoffs blew up when a 30-1 shot sneaks in the money as compared to what a 30-1 shot would do with two favorites in a Pick 3.
Without the dime minimums allowing me to spread it around, I would have missed on some for sure.

philcski
10-15-2010, 09:06 AM
This is one of the worst memories I have in gambling. Jerry Baird gave Ginger Punch the rail going down the backstretch and that was it. If she goes wide, I think Hystericalady beats her. Oh well.

That beat was probably worth more for me than any other (not involving pick 6's.)

scat daddy
10-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Last year made up for being shut out in 2008...Vale of York and Dancing in Silks blew up the dime supers where I was going deep, and then spreading really deep I caught prices behind a key on Goldlikova....my entire strategy changed last year after reading an article by James Quinn who encouraged playing the verticals with logical horses at huge prices. Before that, I was stuck on trying to catch Pick 3's and Pick 4's. Go back and look at how the payoffs blew up when a 30-1 shot sneaks in the money as compared to what a 30-1 shot would do with two favorites in a Pick 3.
Without the dime minimums allowing me to spread it around, I would have missed on some for sure.

Being at Churchill in 88 to see Personal Ensign run down Winning Colors...magical to say the least...then to watch the classic under darkness with only the twin spires lit was incredible.

VOL JACK
10-15-2010, 09:15 AM

Hystericalady was also my biggest bet of that 07 Cup also.
I had a big win bet and a much bigger exacta with her over Ginger Punch than reversed. I only used 4 distaffers in multi's and they run 1,2,3,4 and didn't play the Super.

Kip Deville keep my head above water that day.

Indian Charlie
10-15-2010, 09:20 AM
No and No.

My brilliant stand against Riboletta was wasted with Lukas running 1-2 and Spain winning.

Your star Macho Uno held off Point Given.

I had a few nice bet againsts that year - but I really sucked that day.

Remember when we put the P6 ticket together in 2001 - and those guys used my poor BC record against me?

Yeah, that was pretty funny.

justindew
10-15-2010, 09:46 AM
1996 was good. Had Lit de Justice, Storm Song, Boston Harbor, and a win/place bet on Louis Quatorze. Was disappointed we didn't get to see Yanks Music.

2000 was beyond depressing. Woke up that morning and wrote down my plays for the day, which included win bets on Kona Gold, War Chant, Perfect Sting, and others. I did not bet Spain, in spite of the fact that I had played her in almost every race in which she ran since the previous year's BC Juvenile Fillies. Definitely one of my favorite horses at that time. So when she won at 50-1, I spent the rest of the day trying to catch lightning in a bottle by playing horses that I "liked". Played More Than Ready instead of Kona Gold. Played some Shadwell horse who had just won at Keeneland instead of War Chant. Played someone other than Perfect Sting. Left very unhappy.

2001 was my best ever. Didn't hit sh*t until the Turf. Pounded Fantastic Light. And played a huge cold double with him and Tiznow, whom I also pounded to win. Also had the exacta with Sakhee 10 times, and I think it paid $140 or so.

2005 was my worst day of gambling ever, as I cashed zero tickets, and lost an amount so horrific that I don't want to repeat it. No one would believe me anyway.

I wish NBC would get the Cup back.

v j stauffer
10-15-2010, 09:53 AM

I think if Hollendorfer had the courage to leave Russell Baze on Hysterical Lady IMO you never would have lost that race. Eddie Castro didn't actually do anything wrong. He just didn't do enough right. RB would have made the difference.

Biggest BC score?

Two on the same day.

200 win/place Furthest Land. 100 exacta box Furthest Land/Ready's Echo:$:

27k comission for Dancing in Silks winning the Sprint:tro:

Quite an enjoyable afternoon in Arcadia:)

Indian Charlie
10-15-2010, 09:54 AM
2000 was beyond depressing. Woke up that morning and wrote down my plays for the day, which included win bets on Kona Gold, War Chant, Perfect Sting, and others. I did not bet Spain, in spite of the fact that I had played her in almost every race in which she ran since the previous year's BC Juvenile Fillies. Definitely one of my favorite horses at that time. So when she won at 50-1, I spent the rest of the day trying to catch lightning in a bottle by playing horses that I "liked". Played More Than Ready instead of Kona Gold. Played some Shadwell horse who had just won at Keeneland instead of War Chant. Played someone other than Perfect Sting. Left very unhappy.

The Real Justin Dew would not have gone off tilt like that in 2000.

VOL JACK
10-15-2010, 09:55 AM
I think if Hollendorfer had the courage to leave Russell Baze on Hysterical Lady IMO you never would have lost that race. Eddie Castro didn't actually do anything wrong. He just didn't do enough right. RB would have made the difference.

Biggest BC score?

Two on the same day.

200 win/place Furthest Land. 100 exacta box Furthest Land/Ready's Echo:$:

27k comission for Dancing in Silks winning the Sprint:tro:

Quite an enjoyable afternoon in Arcadia:)

I still can't believe Furthest Land went off at 20-1....:$:

robfla
10-15-2010, 10:50 AM

My biggest score ever was 2004...

Bet a Pick 4 Ouija Board / all / all / Ghostzapper - paid $23,395. :tro:
I have the IRS receipt framed

philcski
10-15-2010, 11:19 AM
My biggest score ever was 2004...

Bet a Pick 4 Ouija Board / all / all / Ghostzapper - paid $23,395. :tro:
I have the IRS receipt framed

Since this has turned into the redboard room, I played the EXACT same ticket (for a $1). Great (or clueless? :o) minds think alike?

Clip-Clop
10-15-2010, 11:27 AM
2007 missing only Lahudood. Other than that it was a hell of a day. Much smaller bank roll back then but was living in NJ and got to go. My father came up from Florida and realized after the first three races (where I had hit the exactas cold) that I was on to something and proceeded to use his larger roll to hit pk-3s and 4's off my handicapping. He did very well that day. As did I for the time. If I can get another day like that this year I will go home with a lot more $ than I did back then.
Still can't figure out how it was that PK-6 went for $321K.:eek:

dagolfer33
10-15-2010, 11:27 AM

I still remember vividly the comment in the racing form on Furthest Land, off a huge number at TP, "....I'd like to see THAT again".

DaTruth
10-15-2010, 12:40 PM
1998, 2000, 2003 and 2008 were good Breeders Cups for me. 2001, 2002, and 2004 were probably the worst. I'm still mad about Albarado's ride aboard Ashado in the 2004 Distaff.

Do any of you remember the Breeders Cup contest from 1988? I believe it was run by the Breeders Cup, and entry forms appeared in major daily newspapers. You were allowed one selection in each race, and if your selection was part of an entry, you did not benefit if the another part of the entry won; this made the contest more challenging since at the time DWL was running a five horse entry in the Juvenile Filly race and a three-horse entry in the Juvenile. Your entry had to be postmarked 1-2 days before the race, so you did not have the advantage of raceday scratches or track condition. I submitted a somewhat chalky entry using Gulch-Open Mind-Personal Ensign-Miesque-Easy Goer-Sunshine Forever-Alysheba. I thought I was in pretty good shape after the Mile. If I'm recalling correctly, nobody hit all 7 races, but there were more than few people who had 6 winners.

randallscott35
10-15-2010, 12:41 PM

All of these sorts of sayings are redboarding. After the fact the odds always look ridiculous.

Dahoss
10-15-2010, 12:47 PM
When you look at the trip Furthest Land got and then look at how he ran after that win, hard to take that win at face value. But that doesn't matter when you cash. Nice score to anyone that had him.

dagolfer33
10-15-2010, 01:16 PM
All of these sorts of sayings are redboarding. After the fact the odds always look ridiculous.

Isn't this thread pretty much an open invitation to redboard?

randallscott35
10-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Isn't this thread pretty much an open invitation to redboard?

No doubt about it. But there is a difference. And it is subtle.

alysheba4
10-15-2010, 01:21 PM
1998, 2000, 2003 and 2008 were good Breeders Cups for me. 2001, 2002, and 2004 were probably the worst. I'm still mad about Albarado's ride aboard Ashado in the 2004 Distaff.

Do any of you remember the Breeders Cup contest from 1988? I believe it was run by the Breeders Cup, and entry forms appeared in major daily newspapers. You were allowed one selection in each race, and if your selection was part of an entry, you did not benefit if the another part of the entry won; this made the contest more challenging since at the time DWL was running a five horse entry in the Juvenile Filly race and a three-horse entry in the Juvenile. Your entry had to be postmarked 1-2 days before the race, so you did not have the advantage of raceday scratches or track condition. I submitted a somewhat chalky entry using Gulch-Open Mind-Personal Ensign-Miesque-Easy Goer-Sunshine Forever-Alysheba. I thought I was in pretty good shape after the Mile. If I'm recalling correctly, nobody hit all 7 races, but there were more than few people who had 6 winners.
....thats some list of monsters there.

dagolfer33
10-15-2010, 02:09 PM
No doubt about it. But there is a difference. And it is subtle.
Ok, well, to add to the discussion, last year I was swinging and missing most of both days, with my only good hit being a 20$ WP on the camel jockey on Vale of York.

my miss storm cat
10-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Pleasant Home

On another forum we all posted one lock for the day. She was mine.

(A couple of people thought i was crazy).

Went to Belmont that year (section 2E, row F, seat 12 Clubhouse Reserved 2nd floor and no I don't know why i remember that :D)... it was fantastic and the Euros in the Turf made for an even nicer day. :$:

2008 Santa Anita was a good day too.

Thank you, Desert Code and The Mig.

Best (2005) moment was being about a foot away from Kieren Fallon and Ace.

(ACE!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I know you know what I'm sayin', English Channel boy. :p

declansharbor
10-15-2010, 04:39 PM

Co-sign. Although no floating home, other than smokin on some of that feel good-real good..

Lahudood getting home in '07 thickened the knot a tad as well.

A few of this year's races I will be tackling caveman style, others having a much stronger opinion on. I will be looking to beat Z in the Classic, that's a given though.

JohnGalt1
10-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Best-2000. Hit $1 tri for $800 and $1 super for $6000 in Tiznow's first Classic win.

Most frustrating was the year Unbridled Elaine won. My win bets won 5 races with horses paying double digits. But I could not connect them with other horses in vertical or horizontal exotic bets. So my $1100 in betting returned $1000. If I could've just got one.......................

smuthg
10-16-2010, 09:21 AM
2009 was really good to me. between Life is Sweet, Furthest Land and Zenyatta, it was a good couple days.

brockguy
10-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Cajun Beat in 2003 made that a monster day for me along with Six Perfections and Islington. Would have been a life changing day had Daryll Holland not been on Falbrav.

2006 in Kentucky was class with Red Rocks, Ouija Board and Invasor

2008 was also class as just backing and boxing the Euros worked a treat :)

Most of the others have been profitably except for last year (needed Twice Over to win for a big score) and 2007 (got destroyed!!)

odbaxter
10-19-2010, 07:22 PM
2006 after getting clobbered all day, snagged a $20 double - Red Rocks/Invasor
I think it came back 10 X $200 (almost).

Catching a winner on the last race of the day is the Best!

cal828
10-19-2010, 08:24 PM
2008 ok, but 2003 was the best. Most of that day I was terrible, but eventually did well in the Classic with Pleasantly Perfect over Medaglia D'Oro and Dynever. Thought I was brilliant at the time in recognizing that Medaglia D'Oro and Congaree would go right at each other on the lead which would eventually open the door for the closers and also saw that the California horses were doing well which led me to Pleasantly Perfect. Looking back on it though, I think I was just lucky as hell. Perfect Drift was also in the race and as I recall, he ran wide entering the stretch and took himself, Ten Most Wanted and I think Funnycide out of the race so who knows what the order of finish would have been had that not happened. I was fortunate enough to have the exacta, tri and some win, place bets on Pleasantly Perfect.

Hopefully, I can report back here next year and say that 2010 was my best year. Have never played a single Superfecta in the BC, but intend to every race this year. I'll probably win the most ever or take the worse drubbing of my life.

westcoastinvader
10-20-2010, 12:47 AM

I wagered that General Admission tickets might be a good angle to just get in the door of the 2008 Breeders' Cup.

It turned out I was way correct.

Full access to the paddock and birds eye views up close from anywhere I wanted to be inside the racing surface all day long. Or the apron. Or standing in The Grandstand.

The bad was I had my worst day of wagering in maybe the last decade.

I NEVER bet every race when I go to a track. On that day though, I did.

The only ticket I collected was on a hunch bet my wife had... that I thought had a chance. By that race I was already playing on my heels and fortunately just bet "Square Eddie" nicely to place. Which he did.

I left a loser at the windows for the day, but I was happy I was at The Breeders' Cup for less than $20 a seat, and parking had been a breeze. I usually budget to play with about $300 a day, but on that particular occasion I think I lost about $500 at the windows.

I chalked my wagering losses up to $$ sort of well spent.

The weather was hot, but beautiful...and the cerveza was muy frio..

miraja2
10-20-2010, 10:49 AM
I think 2005 was my best year ever capped off by hitting the trifecta in the Classic.

A few lean years in there followed that from '06 - '08.

Last year was also a good year for me, with one BIG exception.
I had a good day wagering on Saturday (Friday not so much) made some cash and then logged on to DT to discover that my capping had been good enough to win the DT contest! That was kind of cool, and people were congratulating me on a great day and everything....I was feeling good.

And then....

Somebody realized that a mathematical error had been made and I had actually placed second in the contest....not first. That would have been okay....until I discovered who the real winner was.....http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32594&page=5

:eek: