PDA

View Full Version : Louisville, KY

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-06-2006, 11:01 AM
What are the best hotels to stay at in this city? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want to be at Churchill on my 21rst birthday watching the beautiful Thoroughbreds gallop down the stretch.

whorstman
06-06-2006, 11:08 AM
What are the best hotels to stay at in this city? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want to be at Churchill on my 21rst birthday watching the beautiful Thoroughbreds gallop down the stretch.

Stay downtown at the Hyatt or the Galt House. Hyatt is right near 4th Street Live. That will be the best, and not too overpriced either. Mariott is nice too. Also downtown.

Cunningham Racing
06-06-2006, 11:14 AM
I live in Louisville, but only for just over a year now...You really can't go wrong as long as you stay towards the eastern part of the city...I would look at finding a hotel just off I-264 (the Watterson Expressway) because that is the easiest thoroughway to get to the track...as for the Exits, I would say that Taylorsville Rd. or Shelbyville Rd. would be 2 exits about 10 minutes away from the track that are easy/convenient to get around and are in a good part of town.

Blankenbaker is another street on the east side that hs a lot of good hotels on it but its furtehr away from the track...15-20 minutes..but, it will be on your way in if you're driving from North Carloina on I-64.....Hurstborne is also another up-and-coming part of town with a lot of great, newer hotels to stay in...

I'm assuming that you're looking for hotels like Holiday Inn, Radisson, etc. at around 75-150 bucks/night.....if you want higher class hotels, then there are some nice places in the middle of down town on 4th street that are nicer and will probably run you a couple of hundred bucks/night.

Hope this helps out...

whorstman
06-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Good point. I figured since you're turning 21, you may want to be close to the party spot, so Hyatt is right there @ 4th St. If Accessability to the track is what you want, then there are nice spots off I-264 like mentioned above. I got a nice room at the Hyatt last summer on a Saturday night that I booked that week and it was only $125 for the night. It just depends on when you are comming.

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-06-2006, 11:32 AM
I might can talk some of my friends into coming with me, or I may come alone. The problem with living here in North Caroline is that no one that I know in my area follows racing. No one at my barn follows it. In fact, the only reason I post on this board so much is because I don't have anyone to talk horses with, and that is all I think about. I would love to meet some of you all in the Louisville, and talk ponies with you all for about a week. I know how to have a good time that is for sure, although I don't know how much partying I'll be doing. Thanks for the info.

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Good point. I figured since you're turning 21, you may want to be close to the party spot, so Hyatt is right there @ 4th St. If Accessability to the track is what you want, then there are nice spots off I-264 like mentioned above. I got a nice room at the Hyatt last summer on a Saturday night that I booked that week and it was only $125 for the night. It just depends on when you are comming.

That sounds like a good hotel. When does the spring meet end at Churchill?

Suffolk Shippers
06-06-2006, 11:35 AM

The Hyatt is down near alot of the party spots I think. When is your birthday, maybe the whole board can show up!!! I know I'm down :cool:

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-06-2006, 11:49 AM
The Hyatt is down near alot of the party spots I think. When is your birthday, maybe the whole board can show up!!! I know I'm down :cool:

August 2nd, and I can't wait! I may come down the week before though. Do you know when the meet ends?

Secretariat
06-06-2006, 11:54 AM
I might can talk some of my friends into coming with me, or I may come alone. The problem with living here in North Caroline is that no one that I know in my area follows racing. No one at my barn follows it. In fact, the only reason I post on this board so much is because I don't have anyone to talk horses with, and that is all I think about. I would love to meet some of you all in the Louisville, and talk ponies with you all for about a week. I know how to have a good time that is for sure, although I don't know how much partying I'll be doing. Thanks for the info.

even in a city of 13 million people its tough to find people to talk to about racing.

THATS WHY WE ARE ALL HERE !!!

Secretariat
06-06-2006, 11:58 AM
http://www.churchilldowns.com/visit_the_track/plan_your_visit/accommodations.html

Secretariat
06-06-2006, 11:59 AM
spring meet end July 16, 2006

Secretariat
06-06-2006, 12:02 PM
fall meet starts 10-20-6, breeders cup 11-4-6

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-06-2006, 12:04 PM
spring meet end July 16, 2006

Of course. This just sucks. I'll try to come down the week that the meet ends. I have some planning to do.

Secretariat
06-06-2006, 12:06 PM
its just above your post

10-29-6, breeders cup 11-4-6

eurobounce
06-06-2006, 12:13 PM
I would stay at the Seelbach before I would stay at the Hyatt. Of course you are going to have to pay a little more for downtown than anywhere else. I would stay at the Holiday Inn on 2nd and Broadway. That way you are close to the Churchill--close to the two night spots of The Highlands and 4th Street Live. Let me know when you are coming to Louisville and maybe my wife and I will meet up with you and we can take you on the backside.

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-08-2006, 05:04 PM
I would stay at the Seelbach before I would stay at the Hyatt. Of course you are going to have to pay a little more for downtown than anywhere else. I would stay at the Holiday Inn on 2nd and Broadway. That way you are close to the Churchill--close to the two night spots of The Highlands and 4th Street Live. Let me know when you are coming to Louisville and maybe my wife and I will meet up with you and we can take you on the backside.

Hey, I'm coming down June 30 through July 5. I won't be 21 yet, but who cares. I need to get away from this area to relax and have some fun. I haven't been on a vacation all year, and have been dying to come back to Louisville. Besides, I'm moving to either Louisville or Lexington next year and want to check the area out. It would be just wonderful if I could come down to the backside. I would absolutely love that!

Cajungator26
06-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Hey, I'm coming down June 30 through July 5. I won't be 21 yet, but who cares. I need to get away from this area to relax and have some fun. I haven't been on a vacation all year, and have been dying to come back to Louisville. Besides, I'm moving to either Louisville or Lexington next year and want to check the area out. It would be just wonderful if I could come down to the backside. I would absolutely love that!

Hey, that's the week after my birthday! Maybe I should have a birthday getaway too. LOL :D

brockguy
06-08-2006, 07:23 PM
i remember staying at the holiday inn downtown on broadway. really nice staff. one of the drivers basically drove me wherever i wanted as i had no car. I was just there on a whim for 2 days as I wanted to see churchill downs. i remember one night ending up in such a sleazy pub a block away from the hotel with some randomers i met in a restaurant downtown (think it was cunninghams!?!) anyway, Louisvilles prob my third fav city in the states, i was pleasantly surprised with it, Ill be heading back there for the BC!!

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Hey, that's the week after my birthday! Maybe I should have a birthday getaway too. LOL :D

Come on Cajun!

eurobounce
06-08-2006, 08:12 PM
i remember staying at the holiday inn downtown on broadway. really nice staff. one of the drivers basically drove me wherever i wanted as i had no car. I was just there on a whim for 2 days as I wanted to see churchill downs. i remember one night ending up in such a sleazy pub a block away from the hotel with some randomers i met in a restaurant downtown (think it was cunninghams!?!) anyway, Louisvilles prob my third fav city in the states, i was pleasantly surprised with it, Ill be heading back there for the BC!!

The Holiday Inn is the best deal in downtown Louisville. And yes the staff is very nice and laid back.