PDA

View Full Version : Young Ladies of Lael (Barbaro/Showing Up)

boldruler
06-05-2006, 01:26 PM
A poster on this sites mother is sending this out to everyone. Thought I would share.

http://www.thegreatestgame.com/a_ladiesoflael.html

The Young Ladies of Lael
By Jude T. Feld

There they were. A bevy of beautiful young girls standing in the front row of their third-floor box, dressed like Easter Sunday and sporting their Derby hats. The Lael Stable Marching and Chowder Society, as Vin Scully would call them, began their chant as the horses were in the post parade, their sing-song voices sounding in unison as if greeting their grammar school teachers on a Monday morning.

"Go Barbaro! Go Showing Up! Go Barbaro! Go Showing Up! Go Barbaro! Go Showing Up!"

As field neared the starting gate the girls began anew.

"Go Barbaro! Go Showing Up! Go Barbaro! Go Showing Up!"

Go Barbaro! Go Showing Up! Go Barbaro! Go Showing Up!"

"One back, that's Flashy Bull," announced Churchill Downs' announcer Luke Kruytbotsch. "There in the gate!"

The chorus lost its demeanor.

"Go Barbaro!" shouted one.

"Go Showing Up!" another.

"They're off in the 132nd Kentucky Derby!" Kruytbosch called.

Thankfully, they missed Barbaro's stumbling start and Showing Up's misstep out of the gate.

The girls jumped up and down, bobbing like corks on a wind swept pond, the ribbons of their hats waving like pastel flags as they gripped the railing of the box, straining to get a better view as the horses thundered down the stretch the first time.

"Go Barbaro!"

"Go Showing Up!"

"Go Barbaro!"

Go Showing Up!"

Churchill Downs is a horrible place to watch a horserace, especially on Derby Day. Corporate boxes, bleachers and television screens in the infield obscure virtually every view of the backstretch from the thousands of fans on the third floor and below, but the girls never missed a beat as they picked up the action on a small t.v. screen hovering above the mezzanine in front of their box. The lime and blue Lael silks were easily spotted near the front, the white cap on Showing Up's rider Cornelio Velasquez just ahead of the navy blue one on Edgar Prado aboard Barbaro.

"Go Showing Up!"

"Go Barbaro!"

"Go Showing Up!"

Midway on the final bend, Barbaro surged to the forefront alongside his stable mate.

A few of the girls shrieked and a couple of the others rooted, still bobbing up and down and leaning on the box railing with the body English of a horseplayer trying to win a tight photo.

"Go Barbaro!"

"Go Showing Up!"

With a quarter mile left, the race was essentially over.

"Barbaro's winning!" shouted one.

"Go Showing Up!" another.

"Barbaro's gonna win! He's gonna win! He's gonna win!"

An original line from an excited nine-year-old girl who probably never heard of Carl Nafzger or Mrs. Genter.

More shrieks and more jumping. More shrieks and more jumping. Then, after the wire, a solitary, sad, disappointed voice.

"I wanted Showing Up to win."

That is absolute proof you can't satisfy everyone - even by winning the Kentucky Derby

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-05-2006, 01:29 PM
That is cute, and soooo true!

oracle80
06-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Thats one of the best pieces I ever read, truly.

Lansdon has a similiar story about the day Offlee Wild won his grade one last year at Belmont. Amidst the screaming and shouting his son kept asking where Funny Cide was because he had an exacta with him!!!!

boldruler
06-05-2006, 01:39 PM
That is cute, and soooo true!

They can say what they want but the Jacksons were rooting for Barbaro. I have to find out which girl was rooting for Showing Up though.

Kasept
06-05-2006, 01:56 PM
The Young Ladies of Lael
By Jude T. Feld

There they were. A bevy of beautiful young girls standing in the front row of their third-floor box, dressed like Easter Sunday and sporting their Derby hats....

Bold Ruler..

Nice piece, but as they say on FARK.com, "This thread is useless without pictures.."

Where's the bevy...???

boldruler
06-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Bold Ruler..

Nice piece, but as they say on FARK.com, "This thread is useless without pictures.."

Where's the bevy...???

The ones I have met are way too young or way too old. My experience with the ladies at the track is your last name better be Phipps or Whitney if you want a shot. I think JT Lundy ruined it for all us average people.

Kasept
06-05-2006, 02:10 PM
The ones I have met are way too young or way too old. My experience with the ladies at the track is your last name better be Phipps or Whitney if you want a shot. I think JT Lundy ruined it for all us average people.

I don't know.. Take a "Goldilocks" Philosophy... Several of them are "just right"..

(Especially at Siro's 'late night'...)